• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Experience With Google Fiber

I would study the question more before buying new internal WiFi card.
First, some manufacturers, at least in the past, were not allowing random WiFi cards, only the one which was installed originally.
Second I am not 100% sure that builtin antennas work for in 5Ghz band if it was originally 2.4Ghz WiFi. I am almost certain it won't be a problem but I would ask someone.
I regularly chromecast. Chromecasting requires I stay on the 2.4 band. At least it did the last time I checked. Yeah, I know. It seems silly.
What does WiFi band have to do with Chromecasting?
WiFi Band is just a link between device and router.
Yes, and if the radio doesn't vibrate on the frequency of that carrier band, it can't talk on that "link"
great, but it does not prevent other radios from using that band.
Chromecast is not FCC.
But it does prevent the wifi radio that sings only in the key of X from communication with the Chromecast device which only sings in the key of Y.

WiFi band has everything to do with Chromecasting when the chromecast stick needs to sing in the same key as the router.

I periodically check pricing on services to see if deals exist. I was looking at AT&T Fiber, which I have, and saw they are offering 2 Gig service now. :eek:

I'm uncertain who'd need 2 Gb. I really don't need a 1 Gb 500 MB or 250 MB would be sufficient, but I can't downgrade and looking online at AT&T, I'm actually paying a hair more for 1 Gb than they are charging for 500 Mb... and I don't pay a router fee, I'm in so deep I'm great-grandfathered in with deal. But I was shocked to see 2 Gb. I feel like we are reaching "that point" where we are reaching the limits of what is needed. 1 Gb can get the household numerous simultaneous 4K streams, and still have 750 Mb to spare! 2Gb?! At 1 Gb I'm downloading huge software updates or games for the Switch in a minute or two... often held back by their server, not mine. Cutting that time in half? This has become logarithmic. Yes, 10 Mb to 1 Gb is HUGE. And even 20 Mb from 10 Mb is a very noticeable improve.

But 2 Gb from 1 Gb?

Google Fiber Installation Experience

The installation took place in two separate procedures:

First, a ground crew had to install the cable connection form the street to the house.

The ground crew was scheduled for the initial cable ground installation for July 27, 2022 at 3:15PM. I received an email giving me notice that this was cancelled on Jul 27, 2022, 3:08 PM without explanation as to why it was cancelled.

On Wed, Jul 27, 4:22 PM in a live chat a Google representative identified as Joaquin advised, “It looks like we were unable to finish building the Fiber line to your home in time for the installation, so that visit was cancelled to give us time to complete that. I'm really sorry for the delay in construction there! My construction team mentioned they plan to have this resolved and you install ready within 3 days, but that is just an estimate. The very moment that is completed and you're ready to be installed, we'll be emailing you directly to reschedule that installation.”

Thu, Jul 28, 5:33 I cancelled the installation deciding to continue with Spectrum.

On Thu, Aug 18, 8:54 PM because of continued problems with Spectrum I again signed up for Google Fiber 1 Gig.

The ground crew for the cable to house install arrived and installed the cable connection on the east side of the house. My two desk tops are in a room on the north side and to get the best speed I need a direct connection to cable.

I had been told by a Google Sales person that I could have to point of entry anywhere I wanted it.

I tried to discuss this with the ground crew but they did not speak English and I do not speak Spanish.

On Wed, Aug 24, 7:07 PM in a chat a Google representative identified as Abigail T said, “Thank you for that. I can see we had to cancel the installation due to you requesting a consult. A Consult can delay the process by several weeks but once completed we will follow up via email to have you reschedule.”

I did not request a consultation.

I waited for them to get in touch with me and then visited with my next-door neighbor who has GF and got my questions answered. I observed that his point of entry is in the back of his house on the 2nd floor where his office is.

On Fri, Aug 26, 4:32 PM I cancelled the consultation in a chat with Google Representative Abigail.

We scheduled the installation of the cable to the house for Sunday August 28, 2022 12:30 PM.

At about 12:15 PM Sunday August 28, 2022 the tech called and said that he was running late.

The tech arrived at around 1:30 PM.

He said he could not install through the back wall into the basement.

He installed the point on entry into the kitchen and a speed test over Wi-Fi in the office revealed an unacceptable down load speed of about 80 mbps.

I told him to cancel the installation.

After some measurements and discussion, he installed through the back of the house into the basement and strung the cable across the ceiling of the basement and created a point of entry into the office and installed a direct connection for one of my two desktops.

The direct connection gave a down load speed of 919.07 mbps, upload of 850.75.

The Wi-Fi speed was 130 down 44.7 up.

I got about the same speeds on Spectrum.

The reason I quit Spectrum is because I had to reset the router between 1 to 3 times per day because it would slow down to an unacceptable speed.

I found that others have had the same issues. Numerous calls to Spectrum failed to correct the issue.

The Google installation was supposed to take two hours. It took three hours.

Tuesday, August 30, 2022 2:26 PM

The Google Tech arrived, gave me a 5 port switch box which solved the problem with making a direct connection to the internet.

He did some testing with the WiFi and shows me how to use the Home App to do a reset.

My WiFi down load is 328.1, upload 241.8.

This is acceptable if stable.

It was not stable and I reached out to GF by text and was referred to a Web page that was no help.

I reached out again and told them I was cancelling if they did not resolve the problem.

They sent a tech out and he tested it and fiddled with it and we got the speed up.

At that time he installed a switch so that both lap tops are now on direct connection.

As of Thursday, September 1, 2022 4:50 PM the results are 726.70 and 911.86.

Long way for the gig they are charging me for.

The reason I quit Spectrum is because I had to reset the router between 1 to 3 times per day because it would slow down to an unacceptable speed.

I found that others have had the same issues. Numerous calls to Spectrum failed to correct the issue.
In my experience, wifi routers last maybe two years at best. Then they need to be replaced because they start doing exactly as you described above. I've probably got three or four old ones laying around the house somewhere.

In my experience, wifi routers last maybe two years at best. Then they need to be replaced because they start doing exactly as you described above. I've probably got three or four old ones laying around the house somewhere.
Have you tried a 40/40/40 on them, or for that matter blowing out the dust?

I don't know what that is. And yes, I've tried blowing out the dust.

Presently I'm running a Speedefy AC2100 router and I'm quite happy with it. Running wifi on two laptops, and up to three net-connected TVs all at the same time with no issues. The modem and service is Spectrum.

Presently I'm running a Speedefy AC2100 router and I'm quite happy with it. Running wifi on two laptops, and up to three net-connected TVs all at the same time with no issues. The modem and service is Spectrum.
A 40/40/40 is the industry standard most complete way to "shut it off and back on again".

It involves shutting it off for 40 seconds, pushing the factory reset button for 40 seconds, and unplugging it for 40 seconds, not necessarily in that order.

This causes ALL old tables on the router to be cleared out and reset.

Following a 40/40/40 I would recommend updating the router firmware, and doing ANOTHER 40/40/40.

It's cheaper to just set up your network once every year or two, and less trouble.

You will almost certainly notice your bandwidth shoot up with the device.

The Spectrum router was replaced and did not solve the problem.

The Google signal varies in strength.

A 40/40/40 is the industry standard most complete way to "shut it off and back on again".

It involves shutting it off for 40 seconds, pushing the factory reset button for 40 seconds, and unplugging it for 40 seconds, not necessarily in that order.

This causes ALL old tables on the router to be cleared out and reset.

Following a 40/40/40 I would recommend updating the router firmware, and doing ANOTHER 40/40/40.

It's cheaper to just set up your network once every year or two, and less trouble.

You will almost certainly notice your bandwidth shoot up with the device.
Oh, tried that many times, usually longer than 40 seconds.

Make certain the laptop or device's WiFi standard. That impacts download speed!

Otherwise, that sounds like a mess.

Just got notified by Spectrum that they bumped the speed from 200 to 300 Mb/s. I didn't notice.

You wouldn't. While it is a 50% speed increase, how much in the way of large files are you downloading. I mean other than umm.... art.

LoL, I don't download umm... art.
What you just view it in place? Hate to break it to you but if you see it on the screen, you downloaded it.

Back
Top Bottom