• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Favorite Poignant Scenes in Movies

For me personally? A scene at the end of Field of Dreams. Not the "dad, you wanna have a catch?" one, but the scene right before it. "Why don't you introduce him to his granddaughter?"

My father died 2 years and 10 days before his granddaughter was born. This scene gets me every time.

The whole movie is about what could have been. Ray playing catch with his father. Moonlight Graham getting to live his "wish" for a moment. Terry reconnecting to his writing. It's not a perfect film, but it has it's moments...

Every Hitchcock film has one perfect scene, whether or not there's a good movie attached. In Psycho, it's the dinner Norman has with his victim. In The Birds, the long walk away from the schoolhouse. In The Man Who Knew Too Much, it's how Doris Day learns where her son is. In Rope, the moment when the Professor realizes a murder has occured, and communicates it only with a glance, wanting to take advantage of a rare moment to ask someone why they've done the unthinkable - after they've done it, but before they've been caught. And I think that one, to me, is the most poignant as you define it.

Back
Top Bottom