• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

FBI tried to flip Russian Oligarchs and ..... failed

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/us/politics/deripaska-ohr-steele-fbi.html
Between 2014 and 2016, the F.B.I. and the Justice Department unsuccessfully tried to turn Mr. Deripaska into an informant. They signaled that they might provide help with his trouble in getting visas for the United States or even explore other steps to address his legal problems. In exchange, they were hoping for information on Russian organized crime and, later, on possible Russian aid to President Trump’s 2016 campaign, according to current and former officials and associates of Mr. Deripaska.

In one dramatic encounter, F.B.I. agents appeared unannounced and uninvited at a home Mr. Deripaska maintains in New York and pressed him on whether Paul Manafort, a former business partner of his who went on to become chairman of Mr. Trump’s campaign, had served as a link between the campaign and the Kremlin.
FBI must really have thought they had a chance :)

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an initiative that remains classified. Most expressed deep discomfort, saying they feared that in revealing the attempts to cultivate Mr. Deripaska and other oligarchs they were undermining American national security and strengthening the grip that Mr. Putin holds over those who surround him.
Valid concern indeed.

Mr. Steele helped set up a meeting between the Russian and American officials during the 2015 trip. Mr. Ohr attended the meeting, during which the Americans pressed Mr. Deripaska on the connections between Russian organized crime and Mr. Putin’s government, as well as other issues, according to a person familiar with the events. The person said that Mr. Deripaska told the Americans that their theories were off base and did not reflect how things worked in Russia.
I tend to agree with Mr. Deripaska here. Big businesses are quite separate from organized crime in Russia. Yes, there is a certain level of corruption in a way big business interacts with government but it's quite separate from what is called organized crime in Russia. Oligarchs are few step above organized crime. Maybe in the 90s they had links but not anymore. In fact I would say big business interaction with government in Russia became very similar to what US has.

Last edited:
barbos said:
FBI tried to flip Russian Oligarchs and ..... failed

Failed, as far as you know.
Probably right, since the FBI can't make the overt threats of death that are implicit in conspiring with Putin. Unless they have kompromat... which you wouldn't know about.

Big businesses are quite separate from organized crime in Russia.

Thanks for that. This was the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read in a while and I needed the laugh.

Big businesses are quite separate from organized crime in Russia.

Thanks for that. This was the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read in a while and I needed the laugh.

Indeed.

Organized crime is now a major element of Russia statecraft
Dmitri Alperovitch, co-founder of the security firm CrowdStrike, noted recently that the Russian security services have been actively recruiting an army of hackers.
That's the guy who was caught fabricating data and working for Hillary Clinton. Also if I remember correctly there was some shit related him getting contracts which were not quite transparent (Hillary related) Speaking of the mafia. The guy is a lying piece of shit.

What part of "Dmitri Alperovitch is a convicted liar fraud and self promoting blowhard" you don't understand?
The guy took anonymous message of the apparent russian troll (most likely government linked) and made a research based on that claiming that some android application was used to destroy Ukrainian artillery units. To support his "theory" he quoted statistics from a 3rd party When said 3rd party accused him of flat out misquoting them and app developers explained to him that their app simply can not be used for what he claims he quietly changed/edited his "research". He also is a Hillary Clinton IT guy who had a look at her email server which FBI could not get. He also used his Clinton connections and all that noise he produced to raise money for his phony security startup.

Back
Top Bottom