• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fear of God - It's what makes us nicer: Study

My inborn nature also resonates more with the second choice abaddon, but as to religion (as in belief in and worship of a superhuman entity) I find it hard to imagine that as innate.
Buddhism is not a religion by that definition, and its spread from its roots in India, its subsequent growth in China, and its final flowering as Zen in Japan show that different nations can find it useful without needing to draw on a magical being who looks down on us from the sky.
Where is their innate urge to invent a deity ? Their need to worship ?

So I'm looking into the bathwater, but as yet there's no sign of the baby.
What is there in religion that's worth hanging on to ?

Haven't you just equated religion with the worship of a superhuman entity? Why worship?

Can you really not find anything redeemable about religion? Do you really think that the best weapon against superstition is more information?

I used to organise parties and clubs. Rave culture was the new thing then. I experimented with moving everything around. People preferred all focus on one elevated spot. Lighting and decor would make it into an alter of sorts. Often the DJ would occupy that spot. But sometimes dancers.

Do it right and the crowd becomes ecstatic. The DJ is just playing other people's music. It's not rocket science. Yet he/she is the undisputed star.

People love being manipulated this way. I've talked to organisers of sports events. Same principles. Organisers of charity events. Same deal. Any conference. Any concert. The same rules apply.

You can deny all you want that it doesn't work on you. But the money these events generate proves that it works. Most people are suckers for this. Most people are religious. Success is about doing what works. Not what you think should work.

abaddon - If you remove the question mark which you seem to have infiltrated into my quote, it is clear that I am saying what Buddhism is not.
What it is, is a much wider field, and open to much interpretation.
If you believe it to be a religion, can you tell me to whom they pray?
And to repeat the question - What is there in religion that's worth hanging on to?

Dr Z, your questions contain so many misunderstandings of my position that I fear responding further would only worsen the situation.
I prefer it when you bring something positive to the debate, rather than trying to squash opinions which you disagree with.
That's just insecurity.

Dr Z, your questions contain so many misunderstandings of my position that I fear responding further would only worsen the situation.
I prefer it when you bring something positive to the debate, rather than trying to squash opinions which you disagree with.
That's just insecurity.

Ok. I think Buddhism is a religion. You say it's not. I think you say it's not because Buddhism is actually useful. It's like religion is by definition bad, so anything good can't be religion. Am I wrong?

I've known religion to be a useful guide, because it incorporates things which can be part of a secular life.
I think Buddhism is not a religion for the reasons I've stated.
Utility is not a sign of religion.
So you are wrong in these assumptions also.
Consistent, but wrong.
Perhaps rather than mangling others' ideas, you will treat us to more of your own.

… as to religion (as in belief in and worship of a superhuman entity) I find it hard to imagine that as innate.
Me too, which is why I said nothing of the sort. You revised the definition to strip religion down to “worship of a superhuman entity”. This is stacking the deck.

What is there in religion that's worth hanging on to ?
Contemplative practices, devotions, chanting, rituals and other expressions that are not merely “philosophical” (analytical), for those who want to transcend the ‘egoic’ self and express their religious impulse towards whatever they revere or aspire to attain unity with.

Can it be secularized with no loss? I don’t think so. Secularizing some handpicked items from religion ends up with a more superficial version to “use” for self-aggrandizement — some self-help aids to be more happy or richer. That’s in the tradition of post-enlightenment secularists: always looking for what resources they can strip out; always domesticating everything.

abaddon - If you remove the question mark which you seem to have infiltrated into my quote.
No need to remove it, it’s a 100% irrelevant accident of editing and changes nothing about my response. I understood perfectly well you were saying what Buddhism is not and I addressed that.

What [Buddhism] is, is a much wider field, and open to much interpretation.
Too open to interpretation to be a religion?

It will be described one way or another for discussion’s sake.

I agree with what this writer says about Buddhism as either a philosophy or religion: http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/philosophy.htm . She rightly criticizes the dichotomy, and identifies what eurocentric values might make some persons feel a need to save Buddhism from being a religion.

If you believe it to be a religion, can you tell me to whom they pray?
I’ll refer to the same writer again since she presents it briefly and clearly. She answers “Do Buddhists Pray” with “no, but yes” and then clarifies. http://buddhism.about.com/od/Living-A-Buddhist-Life/fl/Do-Buddhists-Pray.htm

Remember Buddhism was one example. So niggling over whether it’s prayer or something like prayer but not quite is even more off-topic than we are already.

If those religious-like practices I mentioned are not traits of religion then OK. It’s just a word. But inasmuch as it matters to describe things, I don’t know another word that fits. Maybe you know one. So how is god-worship religious but the other aspects (that are even more universal among the world's religions than god worship) are not religious?

Last edited:
We're already adopting those kinds of practices in the secular world. Google the word 'mindfulness' along with things like 'education,' 'healthcare,' 'law enforcement,' etc. You'll find from the results that those practices are becoming institutionalized in various areas of secular life, useful and sometimes even life-changing techniques ranging from simple breathing meditations to deep self inquiry.

That's just program level stuff. Individuals and families all over the world incorporate these practices into their lives. True, a great many of them are wishy-woos, but at least the bliss bunnies rarely adopt the kinds of core values and assumptions that inspire hatred, aggression, or fear. Also, as has been stated in this thread, whatever engages the felt personal experience is what sticks. Then they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...

This is why so many religious people in absolutist, no-other-god-before-me sects DO also rely on secular solutions and guidance as well as other, even forbidden, strains of spiritual nonsense. Catholics love astrology, which is supposed to be wicked. It's also forbidden by most Protestant denoms and sects, but they prefer love pop-psychology and trendy personality tests and things to help them understand themselves and their relationships*, and don't forget that fundamentalists clash with science but few of them are willing to live without its benefits.

The reason is simple: what helps the problems they actually suffer first-hand is what they will reach for regardless of what they say they believe. They might do it in secret, but if something forbidden actually helps ease pain, that person is going to try to get it. Severe zealotry might give someone the impetus to choke off all desire for anything but the religious magic, even to denying their own basic needs, but most of us humans will go with what actually eases actual pain that we actually experience with these actual brains and bodies. Religions are totally anti-[insert whatever here] until [insert whatever here] does for the individual in reality what the magical beliefs don't.

It's only a matter of time before what is useful and relevant to easing human suffering on an individual basis will arise as cultural norms in practice and concept around the world. That's also why I believe in universal healthcare, universal education, and universal basic income. When a human's basic needs are met, and at least the near future looks secure enough in continuing to have those needs met, that person is now much more capable and sane, much more likely and able to contribute positively to society.

We're all connected now in ways never before possible. These practices could be one of the best tools for hunter-gatherer brains to adapt to a tribe of billions, and because of technology, can spread pretty fast. I have no idea if that's what will happen or what the chances actually are. I just know it's possible. Gotta #lookforthehelpers!

*The last church I attended used a personality test scheme based on four animals. Those in the church involved in that (including the pastor) would talk the same way about the four types as astrologists talk about zodiac signs. "An otter? Marrying a lion? Now that must be a challenging marriage!"

The church my brother in law used to pastor a while back used The Four Temperaments to analyse themselves when the belief system didn't turn out to be the solution to all of life's complex problems in the modern world as advertized.

I've known religion to be a useful guide, because it incorporates things which can be part of a secular life.
I think Buddhism is not a religion for the reasons I've stated.
Utility is not a sign of religion.
So you are wrong in these assumptions also.
Consistent, but wrong.
Perhaps rather than mangling others' ideas, you will treat us to more of your own.

But then we're not in disagreement. We just have different definitions of "religion". That's cool. But the important thing is what we mean. And we seem to agree?

We're already adopting those kinds of practices in the secular world. Google the word 'mindfulness' along with things like 'education,' 'healthcare,' 'law enforcement,' etc. You'll find from the results that those practices are becoming institutionalized in various areas of secular life, useful and sometimes even life-changing techniques ranging from simple breathing meditations to deep self inquiry.

That's just program level stuff. Individuals and families all over the world incorporate these practices into their lives. True, a great many of them are wishy-woos, but at least the bliss bunnies rarely adopt the kinds of core values and assumptions that inspire hatred, aggression, or fear. Also, as has been stated in this thread, whatever engages the felt personal experience is what sticks. Then they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...

This is why so many religious people in absolutist, no-other-god-before-me sects DO also rely on secular solutions and guidance as well as other, even forbidden, strains of spiritual nonsense. Catholics love astrology, which is supposed to be wicked. It's also forbidden by most Protestant denoms and sects, but they prefer love pop-psychology and trendy personality tests and things to help them understand themselves and their relationships*, and don't forget that fundamentalists clash with science but few of them are willing to live without its benefits.

The reason is simple: what helps the problems they actually suffer first-hand is what they will reach for regardless of what they say they believe. They might do it in secret, but if something forbidden actually helps ease pain, that person is going to try to get it. Severe zealotry might give someone the impetus to choke off all desire for anything but the religious magic, even to denying their own basic needs, but most of us humans will go with what actually eases actual pain that we actually experience with these actual brains and bodies. Religions are totally anti-[insert whatever here] until [insert whatever here] does for the individual in reality what the magical beliefs don't.

It's only a matter of time before what is useful and relevant to easing human suffering on an individual basis will arise as cultural norms in practice and concept around the world. That's also why I believe in universal healthcare, universal education, and universal basic income. When a human's basic needs are met, and at least the near future looks secure enough in continuing to have those needs met, that person is now much more capable and sane, much more likely and able to contribute positively to society.

We're all connected now in ways never before possible. These practices could be one of the best tools for hunter-gatherer brains to adapt to a tribe of billions, and because of technology, can spread pretty fast. I have no idea if that's what will happen or what the chances actually are. I just know it's possible. Gotta #lookforthehelpers!

*The last church I attended used a personality test scheme based on four animals. Those in the church involved in that (including the pastor) would talk the same way about the four types as astrologists talk about zodiac signs. "An otter? Marrying a lion? Now that must be a challenging marriage!"

The church my brother in law used to pastor a while back used The Four Temperaments to analyse themselves when the belief system didn't turn out to be the solution to all of life's complex problems in the modern world as advertized.

I agree completely. Secular religion is on the rise. By that I mean picking apart religions and taking practices. Whether we call that religioning or not is a matter if definition

edit: Wow, I see I really went on in this thread tonight. Looks like a god damn manifesto. lol. If it's tl;dnr, that's ok. I think we agree on more than we disagree by far. Thanks for the excellent discussion.

I agree completely. Secular religion is on the rise. By that I mean picking apart religions and taking practices. Whether we call that religioning or not is a matter if definition

Without an organized institution to follow or be a member of or take as a group identity, it's just not religion. It's culture. We're already members of the human group, and I believe we're talking about how religion and spirituality could or should look in humanity's future. Sure, yes, we can and will explore our traditions even more deeply than our religious contemporaries do, and more academically, and more freely in terms of how we digest and find meaning in them relevant to a modern human seeking spiritual food or self awareness in this alien information environment our brains are trying to navigate.

Some elements of religion that do not serve us:

- A specific ideological identity. It's not needed for social glue; any label can serve that purpose for a tribe of seven billion if it represents a universal recognition of humanness as first identity.

- Institutional structure. What is the institution for other than enforcement, maintenance/editing and delivery of pre-digested beliefs for the laymen, recruitment to the ideological identity, all of which are not necessary for a secular "religion" suitable for all humans. You can trust us to figure things out pretty well for ourselves when given the freedom to do so, the encouragement, and the knowledge that we have so far, and guidance as to the cognitive pitfalls and ideological fallacies that have thus far rendered us suffering idiots in many ways. Add to that a refreshing lack of religious (and some secular) myths stunting our progress.

- Doctrines of the supernatural. Unnecessary to human well being. How about respect for each individual's autonomous right to interpret the divine as they see fit without interference from ideologues? Or even parent?

- Doctrines that promote ignorance, division, and inhumane attitudes, those that stunt awareness and understanding of the world, those that are based in outdated, irrelevant, and blatantly false beliefs, and those based in mythology taken literally.

That's just off the top of my head. Without all that, your mere semantic problem becomes a matter of forcing an inaccurate label on something that doesn't need one to begin with. It doesn't need to be distinguished from everyday culture, and in fact, ought not be. The word "religion," regardless of how many of them you can identify as usefully sane, because of all the history and suffering that you can't subtract from the definition, does more to compartmentalize our spiritual and philosophical endeavors out of our everyday human experience, when the very source of all our religious and philosophical works and artifacts is precisely those everyday experiences of everyday people.

The depth and breadth of human existence is what informs and creates religion, not the other way around. It doesn't make sense to me to continue forwarding the tradition of seeking an external source (whether secular ideology or magic spooks) of something that clearly comes from us, and as such, deserves a revamping of how intelligent, highly complex social animals with centuries of philosophy and science go about exploring our own human spirit, right here where it lives. It means putting the horse back in front of the cart after a few thousand years of going along with questionable logic and naivete regarding human existence and why we're here. It means society must be secular in the purest sense, and for some of the same reasons that we now argue for secularity in a world of distinct, competing religious factions, and that is the individual citizen's autonomous right to believe and practice as they please without interference. Except in a world society with universal, humanist cultural values, that would just mean that every individual is a protected religion.

It seems my ideal future for humanity is hopeful for a population that is not so mired and habituated in the falsehoods and inhumane "answers" to the confusions and mysteries of human nature offered by the world's biggest and oldest religious traditions. In the same way that some wrong headed beliefs currently live and breathe in the substrates of our societies, a future society could just as easily be mired and habituated in more realistic and humane beliefs.

For example, the understanding that "authority" is a useful construct for orderly and safe societies, but no one actually holds any kind of authority over another except in contextual, limited, impermanent ways (such as parents as authority of children, etc.). In reality, there is only might applied by the will of some over others; there's no real thing in the concept of authority. It's based I see no need to purposely continue the currently popular belief that something or someone other than oneself inherently or absolutely possesses power of authority over anyone else. It would be nice to see a humanity made up of individuals who grok this truth as automatically as we now accept all manner of breaches to our autonomy by authority as normal.

I could make a long list of popular but backward beliefs and assumptions that have become second nature around the world, but the point is that completely different beliefs can become second nature, too. It may be a probabilistic long shot that we will ever do it rationally and wisely, but we are certainly capable of conditioning ourselves in any way we want. We do that now, only stupidly and with few people really looking at the big picture outside of personal concerns while the majority continue on with individual narratives telling them they're not being conditioned. I agree that radical change would require new ideas being spread fast like religion, but if by the same means as religion without careful thought about why religion does that so well, you could well end up with some new, bastard secular religion like communism.

Dr Z writes -
"But then we're not in disagreement. We just have different definitions of "religion". That's cool. But the important thing is what we mean. And we seem to agree?"

I prefer to inhabit the space between agreeing and disagreeing. Some ideas resonate with me, others don't.
When an idea doesn't resonate, I don't spend valuable time attacking it line by quoted line, as seems popular with some posters who appear to be sorely troubled by opinions which differ from their own. This practice strikes me as egotistic and tedious, since it ignores the fact that we all have our own personal understanding, based partly on words like religion which can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

I come here to learn and debate, not to teach or to argue. I'm willing to express personal views, and I value the insight into others' opinions when offered.
To then pick holes in those opinions might reinforce my own prejudice, and satisfy my vanity, but getting people's backs up is not my most successful form of communication.

I have always felt that I am basically a religious person, (in the way that I define the word) and for me that centres around a fundamental urge to follow the maxim "Know Thyself."
I feel doubtful about going into much detail, because one disadvantage of a large forum is that there is always someone who attacks anything they don't agree with, and such results are tedious in the extreme. Study any subject for a few decades and you will find your views on it to be somewhat different from the common view. My interest in metaphysics renders me unintelligible to those of my friends who are not familiar with the subject - and though it may isolate me intellectually from 'the man in the street' it brings me into line with some of the world's best esoteric teachings, and adds a depth to life which was previously absent.

I find that the philosophy of "The Second Arrow" perfectly illustrates the utility of Buddhist philosophy, and I try to follow it, with mixed results here in Spain where the unexpected often confounds me. Learning to exercise control of the emotions in this way is, I believe, a good example of the benefits of using philosophy to further our religious experience.
I have no time for any philosophy or religion which inhibits my digestion.

Without an organized institution to follow or be a member of or take as a group identity, it's just not religion. It's culture.

Ok. But how aren't you just playing around with words. BTW, all institutions are organised. institutions can be just culture. The institution of marriage is one such institution.

Institutions are organisations intended to promote something positive. If lots of people start doing something habitually and there's some benefit we can talk of an institution. This website is an institution.

Identity is fluid. The object of identity is to bring you closer to people you like while isolating you from people you don't like. If you look at Christianity there's fuck all uniting all Christians apart from the cross and lip service to a book most Christians haven't read. They still think the identity is meaningful and useful.

We're already members of the human group, and I believe we're talking about how religion and spirituality could or should look in humanity's future. Sure, yes, we can and will explore our traditions even more deeply than our religious contemporaries do, and more academically, and more freely in terms of how we digest and find meaning in them relevant to a modern human seeking spiritual food or self awareness in this alien information environment our brains are trying to navigate.

Spirituality is an excellent aspect. To me spirituality is a practice of feeling inward and learning what makes us happy. Can be just shutting upp for a bit and contemplating.

Everything about our capitalist market economy world promotes not feeling. Best to shut them down completely. If we feel sad we should distract ourselves with drugs, sex and entertainment.

I'd argue that we need to artificially create institutions that promote spirituality. Religions are still far superior to the secular world in this respect.

Some elements of religion that do not serve us:

- A specific ideological identity. It's not needed for social glue; any label can serve that purpose for a tribe of seven billion if it represents a universal recognition of humanness as first identity.

Unless that glue is inclusive. How about environmentalism or cosmopolitanism? I don't think we can get away from identity being connected with ideology.

- Institutional structure. What is the institution for other than enforcement, maintenance/editing and delivery of pre-digested beliefs for the laymen, recruitment to the ideological identity, all of which are not necessary for a secular "religion" suitable for all humans. You can trust us to figure things out pretty well for ourselves when given the freedom to do so, the encouragement, and the knowledge that we have so far, and guidance as to the cognitive pitfalls and ideological fallacies that have thus far rendered us suffering idiots in many ways. Add to that a refreshing lack of religious (and some secular) myths stunting our progress.

Well.. any book is predigested beliefs. I don't think that's necessarily bad. The solution is to have loads of secular religions. To encourage an ever increasing multitude of them. And then just let evolution do the rest. Bad ideas will die and helpful ideas will perpetuate.

I don't think the religions of the future will be static. It'll be constant change.

- Doctrines of the supernatural. Unnecessary to human well being. How about respect for each individual's autonomous right to interpret the divine as they see fit without interference from ideologues? Or even parent?

Well, we've had that since the 80's. This is New Age. I think this is bad. In the 70'ies the trend was that religion was bad but theism was good. I think Hinksey that was exactly wrong.

I don't mind religions teaching things. But I have no interest joining a religion where theists are welcome. Unless it's a metaphor or pantheistic type religion

- Doctrines that promote ignorance, division, and inhumane attitudes, those that stunt awareness and understanding of the world, those that are based in outdated, irrelevant, and blatantly false beliefs, and those based in mythology taken literally.

But how are you supposed to enforce that? How can you make sure this doesn't happen? I think the only solution is to have variety. There will always be idiots and idiot religion. Religion mirrors society. Right now we only have idiot theist religion to chose from. Just by having any secular alternative we're already one up.

I think it is important to see the world as it really is rather than how we want it to be. Tailoring religion for a imaginary superhuman isn't going to help anybody.

That's just off the top of my head. Without all that, your mere semantic problem becomes a matter of forcing an inaccurate label on something that doesn't need one to begin with. It doesn't need to be distinguished from everyday culture, and in fact, ought not be. The word "religion," regardless of how many of them you can identify as usefully sane, because of all the history and suffering that you can't subtract from the definition, does more to compartmentalize our spiritual and philosophical endeavors out of our everyday human experience, when the very source of all our religious and philosophical works and artifacts is precisely those everyday experiences of everyday people.

The depth and breadth of human existence is what informs and creates religion, not the other way around. It doesn't make sense to me to continue forwarding the tradition of seeking an external source (whether secular ideology or magic spooks) of something that clearly comes from us, and as such, deserves a revamping of how intelligent, highly complex social animals with centuries of philosophy and science go about exploring our own human spirit, right here where it lives. It means putting the horse back in front of the cart after a few thousand years of going along with questionable logic and naivete regarding human existence and why we're here. It means society must be secular in the purest sense, and for some of the same reasons that we now argue for secularity in a world of distinct, competing religious factions, and that is the individual citizen's autonomous right to believe and practice as they please without interference. Except in a world society with universal, humanist cultural values, that would just mean that every individual is a protected religion.

It seems my ideal future for humanity is hopeful for a population that is not so mired and habituated in the falsehoods and inhumane "answers" to the confusions and mysteries of human nature offered by the world's biggest and oldest religious traditions. In the same way that some wrong headed beliefs currently live and breathe in the substrates of our societies, a future society could just as easily be mired and habituated in more realistic and humane beliefs.

For example, the understanding that "authority" is a useful construct for orderly and safe societies, but no one actually holds any kind of authority over another except in contextual, limited, impermanent ways (such as parents as authority of children, etc.). In reality, there is only might applied by the will of some over others; there's no real thing in the concept of authority. It's based I see no need to purposely continue the currently popular belief that something or someone other than oneself inherently or absolutely possesses power of authority over anyone else. It would be nice to see a humanity made up of individuals who grok this truth as automatically as we now accept all manner of breaches to our autonomy by authority as normal.

I could make a long list of popular but backward beliefs and assumptions that have become second nature around the world, but the point is that completely different beliefs can become second nature, too. It may be a probabilistic long shot that we will ever do it rationally and wisely, but we are certainly capable of conditioning ourselves in any way we want. We do that now, only stupidly and with few people really looking at the big picture outside of personal concerns while the majority continue on with individual narratives telling them they're not being conditioned. I agree that radical change would require new ideas being spread fast like religion, but if by the same means as religion without careful thought about why religion does that so well, you could well end up with some new, bastard secular religion like communism.

I'm not interested in an ideal or utopian world. All I want is one a little bit better than this

Last edited:
As I said somewhere in there or the other post, the word "religion" is soiled with centuries of ground-in dirt of atrocities arising from inhumane beliefs and irrational fears parading as truth.

Even if a technical definition can somehow cancel out the suffering and crimes against humanity that can't be separated from the word "religion," there is no real need for a special word to distinguish spiritual aspect of our existence from all other areas of life and thought. What are you distinguishing it from by insisting on using the word? From culture? We don't need the word to describe specific experiences or to articulate questions and ideas about human spirit or consciousness or purpose or anything.

Right now, the word religion means something. It means a lot in the world. In the future world you and I envision, it would only mean something like seeking or personal development or just "our spiritual practices." You could use the word religion in the same way that some people call science and humanism "religions," but we both know that it is not an accurate word to describe those things. Religion isn't synonymous with related terms like culture or ideology or method of inquiry or spiritual practice.

There is a reason for that. It's because the terms culture, ideology, spiritual practice, etc., while they do encompass all the social glue, potential to serve as a positive force, power to organize large numbers of idiots, etc., that religion offers, these words don't imply superstition, blind adherence to tradition, a history of atrocities, focus on conformity, vulnerability to fascism, etc. There's a good reason that the word religion is useful to distinguish and set apart certain ideologies from the rest. Just like it's useful to distinguish political ideologies from religion from world view. What truly separates religion from other types of ideologies is not its humanity or truth or relevance, as some religious apologists would have us believe, but because of unique traits that don't typically apply to other ideological systems: superstition, controlling nature, social dominance, elevating supernatural beliefs above actual human beings, and other superfluous and often dangerous ideas that religion piles on top of what we already have without it.

I'm not saying ban the word or any such reactive and unrealistic nonsense. If humankind should somehow move toward a culture that is both universal and realistic in its assumptions about human nature, the word would simply lose relevant meaning other than as an historical interest and a tale of caution for the rest of humanity's time in the universe, as well as appreciated as part of our rich history of traditions and attempts at understanding ourselves.

Personal experience is where the rubber meets the road in all the individual choices and actions that add up to one big society. Proven practices and useful ideas tend to continue on and spread, and we already do pick out these pieces of traditions.

edit: It seems like you are approaching the issue form the top down, as in ideology guiding and informing behavior, which it does do, but it's not a one-way street. I'm seeing it from the bottom up, with human experience as the source and guide to inform the conscious development of culture and ideology. Mine's more radical, for sure, but mine seems to be more cognizant of the various pitfalls that produce irrational cultures to begin with.

Last edited:
As I said somewhere in there or the other post, the word "religion" is soiled with centuries of ground-in dirt of atrocities arising from inhumane beliefs and irrational fears parading as truth.

Even if a technical definition can somehow cancel out the suffering and crimes against humanity that can't be separated from the word "religion," there is no real need for a special word to distinguish spiritual aspect of our existence from all other areas of life and thought. What are you distinguishing it from by insisting on using the word? From culture? We don't need the word to describe specific experiences or to articulate questions and ideas about human spirit or consciousness or purpose or anything.

Right now, the word religion means something. It means a lot in the world. In the future world you and I envision, it would only mean something like seeking or personal development or just "our spiritual practices." You could use the word religion in the same way that some people call science and humanism "religions," but we both know that it is not an accurate word to describe those things. Religion isn't synonymous with related terms like culture or ideology or method of inquiry or spiritual practice.

There is a reason for that. It's because the terms culture, ideology, spiritual practice, etc., while they do encompass all the social glue, potential to serve as a positive force, power to organize large numbers of idiots, etc., that religion offers, these words don't imply superstition, blind adherence to tradition, a history of atrocities, focus on conformity, vulnerability to fascism, etc. There's a good reason that the word religion is useful to distinguish and set apart certain ideologies from the rest. Just like it's useful to distinguish political ideologies from religion from world view. What truly separates religion from other types of ideologies is not its humanity or truth or relevance, as some religious apologists would have us believe, but because of unique traits that don't typically apply to other ideological systems: superstition, controlling nature, social dominance, elevating supernatural beliefs above actual human beings, and other superfluous and often dangerous ideas that religion piles on top of what we already have without it.

I'm not saying ban the word or any such reactive nonsense. If humankind should somehow move toward a culture that is both universal and realistic in its assumptions about human nature, the word would simply lose relevant meaning other than as an historical interest and a tale of caution for the rest of humanity's time in the universe, as well as appreciated as part of our rich history of traditions and attempts at understanding ourselves.

Personal experience is where the rubber meets the road in all the individual choices and actions that add up to one big society. Proven practices and useful ideas tend to continue on and spread, and we already do pick out these pieces of traditions.

I like the word "religion" because it has many connotations that I like. It also has some connotations that I don't like. But that can change. Overall I think we're better off keeping it

Darn. I finished my post in two sittings. The last after you had already answered

I went back and read it. I also edited after you replied to the last one. lol

I added: "edit: It seems like you are approaching the issue form the top down, as in ideology guiding and informing behavior, which it does do, but it's not a one-way street. I'm seeing it from the bottom up, with human experience as the source and guide to inform the conscious development of culture and ideology. Mine's more radical, for sure, but mine seems to be more cognizant of the various pitfalls that produce irrational cultures to begin with."

I don't dream of utopia, either. I think all I've said indicates that I also just want a better world and not a complete fantasy. :)

Darn. I finished my post in two sittings. The last after you had already answered

I went back and read it. I also edited after you replied to the last one. lol

I added: "edit: It seems like you are approaching the issue form the top down, as in ideology guiding and informing behavior, which it does do, but it's not a one-way street. I'm seeing it from the bottom up, with human experience as the source and guide to inform the conscious development of culture and ideology. Mine's more radical, for sure, but mine seems to be more cognizant of the various pitfalls that produce irrational cultures to begin with."

I don't dream of utopia, either. I think all I've said indicates that I also just want a better world and not a complete fantasy. :)

I also see it only bottom up. In the age of Internet I think top down religions will die. USA is a good example of what will come. In USA evangelical religion are stealing increasing numbers of Christian. Ie the most catering and ego stroking form of Christianity. This is a trend.

Back
Top Bottom