• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fighting homelessness: Seattle vs. Houston

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
Seattle does not seem to be making any progress with homelessness, despite spending ~$1 billion per year on the problem (in the Seattle metro area). ("That’s nearly $100,000 for every homeless man, woman, and child in King County, yet the crisis seems only to have deepened, with more addiction, more crime, and more tent encampments in residential neighborhoods."). The number of homeless has increased in Seattle over the past 5 years.

63% of the homeless in the city refuse shelter in the city when offered. 39.5% say they refuse because there are "too many rules" in the shelters and 32.6% say they refuse because they shelters are "too crowded."

This leaves thousands of people living on the streets and in tent cities. Seattle allows these tent cities to persist in public parks. Additionally, Seattle takes a lax enforcement approach to crimes committed by the homeless, including littering, public drug use, public disturbances and misdemeanor property damage, often dropping the cases or simply not writing any citation in the first place.

As a result, there are many public areas in Seattle that the public can not enter due to being crowded with homeless people, and the places are often left filthy due to lack of trash clean up and rampant drug use (needles all over the place).

Some have cited the high and rising rents in Seattle as the primary driver for homelessness, but the evidence for this is scarce.

"According to King County’s point-in-time study, only 6 percent of homeless people surveyed cited “could not afford rent increase” as the precipitating cause of their situation, pointing instead to a wide range of other problems—domestic violence, incarceration, mental illness, family conflict, medical conditions, breakups, eviction, addiction, and job loss—as bigger factors. Further, while the Zillow study did find correlation between rising rents and homelessness in four major markets—Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C.—it also found that homelessness decreased despite rising rents in Houston, Tampa, Chicago, Phoenix, St. Louis, San Diego, Portland, Detroit, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Riverside. Rent increases are a real burden for the working poor, but the evidence suggests that higher rents alone don’t push people onto the streets.

Even in a pricey city like Seattle, most working- and middle-class residents respond to economic incentives in logical ways: relocating to less expensive neighborhoods, downsizing to smaller apartments, taking in roommates, moving in with family, or leaving the city altogether. King County is home to more than 1 million residents earning below the median income, and 99 percent of them manage to find a place to live and pay the rent on time."

And the amount of spending on medical and mental health services should be sufficient:

"Seattle and King County currently spend nearly $460 million a year on addiction and mental-health services, plus another $119 million a year on medical services specifically for the homeless"

On the other hand, Houston has taken a different tactic:

"In Houston, local leaders have reduced homelessness by 60 percent through a combination of providing services and enforcing a zero-tolerance policy for street camping, panhandling, trespassing, and property crimes."

Also, in Houston:

"While I was mayor, Houston led the nation in reducing homelessness between 2011 and 2015, the direct result of adopting a comprehensive regional plan that embraced best practices, while requiring an unprecedented level of collaboration between stakeholders. When we started we knew our overall population was about 10,000, with roughly 2,500 chronically homeless. The first and most important step was understanding who they were. And that highlights a crucial factor. We talk about “the homeless,” when in fact these are individuals with names and needs.

We surveyed the men and women on our streets to find out who had physical, mental or addiction problems, who was a veteran, who had been in jail. We tracked how many emergency room visits they’d had and for what. We asked how long they had been homeless, but also when they had last worked and whether they had resources such as VA benefits or Social Security.

Then we estimated how much we were spending to not solve the problem. We calculated a cost of $103 million in public resources annually (police, EMS, street/park cleanup, emergency room costs, etc.) on just the chronically homeless! Adding in the costs of shelters for the short-term homeless and the services — from meals to showers to case managed apartments — provided by the nonprofits was staggering. We didn’t attempt to calculate impacts on property values or lost business in areas of high concentration.

When we knew who we were serving and how much we were spending, I convened significant stakeholders — government, providers and funders — and offered a plan."

It seems like Houston's approach is far more successful.

https://www.city-journal.org/seattle-homelessness

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...essness-solutions-houston-20171020-story.html

However you care to look at it, the descriptions and stats you gave do not paint a good picture of American society.

However you care to look at it, the descriptions and stats you gave do not paint a good picture of American society.

Not sure what your baseline is for "good society", can you elaborate? In Seattle's case, a billion per year spent on homeless issues, so that society is willing to spend massive amounts to try to address the problem. In Houston's case, a 60% reduction in the number of homeless over the past decade.

Also, the number of homeless has declined by approx 100k from 2007-2017:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/555795/estimated-number-of-homeless-people-in-the-us/

Can you elaborate a bit more?

The first and most important step was understanding who they were. And that highlights a crucial factor. We talk about “the homeless,” when in fact these are individuals with names and needs.

Without that step very little would improve.

Your information is behind a paywall, so I find it difficult to evaluate. There are a lot of factors at play, and it's been known for some time that sometimes cities "solve" their homeless problem by shifting the burden to the prison system. This, of course, doesn't actually solve the problem.

I think that DBT makes a good point, considering every major population area struggles with this issue, this is rather telling regarding US-style capitalism. While areas like Seattle have thrown large amounts of money to the problem after the fact, if the root causes aren't treated we're just throwing bad money after bad money into the mix.

In Houston, it basically looks like the government focused on efficiency and collaboration and eliminated parallel activities that didn't converge to solve the problems out there. That's all well and good, but the article was general and not very specific. I wonder what would happen if we concentrated on a better safety net so these people didn't fall through the cracks in the first place? Something like 60 percent of Americans cannot cover a $500 emergency expense. Myself included. That's a single car breakdown. How do people NOT see that's an issue in the wealthiest country in the history of the world?

One thing I didn’t see - what happened to the homeless in Houston

Did this set up help them get their lives back on track or did it simply have them leave Houston and transfer the costs of homelessness onto another jurisdiction?

I have had contaxct with Seattle social workers. One I know spent 17 years working with homelss before chaging to another area.

As she put it there is no lack of resources for homeless including shelter. Over the years millioms of daollars have spent on homeless but nobody knows where all the money went.

Yet we hear local policians chronically saying more money is needed.

The woman I know said she gave up. She would put a lot of work getting people ready for job trading and then they just blow it off. Some people would rather pitch a tent and squat on public land then make the attempt to work.

Seattle has long been a magnet for both drugs and wepeople looking for welfare.

There are parks in Seattle that are dangerous for kids because of needles on the ground. Current Seattle policy is to not arrest anyone with hard drugs with amounts considered user level.

Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle has long been an open drug market.

For them there is subsidized housing with ongoing construction.

It is not a simple issue and it is partly self made by the area. .

There are working poor who can not afford housing. Before Amazon and Microsoft Seartrle was affordable. Flipping houses and rising professional incomes fueled rising housing costs. It has been reported apartments have been going to a highest bidder in some cases.

On top of all hat Seattle is also a sanctuary city. If an indigent illegal immigrant makes it here they will be safe.

There is work in Seattle for those who want to work.

Did this set up help them get their lives back on track or did it simply have them leave Houston and transfer the costs of homelessness onto another jurisdiction?
My thought exactly. As an anecdote, my town reduced the number of homeless with a policy of the police picking them up and transporting them across a country line (30 + miles away).

Not sure what your baseline is for "good society", can you elaborate? In Seattle's case, a billion per year spent on homeless issues, so that society is willing to spend massive amounts to try to address the problem. In Houston's case, a 60% reduction in the number of homeless over the past decade.

Also, the number of homeless has declined by approx 100k from 2007-2017:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/555795/estimated-number-of-homeless-people-in-the-us/

Can you elaborate a bit more?

I don't mean to say that the efforts being made at reducing homelessness paints a bad picture of American society (Australia and other nations included), but that the conditions that gave rise to the problem in the first place paints a picture of a socioeconomic system that is becoming increasingly stratified between the Haves and the have Nots, those who have marketable skills and resources and those who have not.

For example;
''They seem to be almost everywhere, in places old and new, no age spared. Sleeping on cardboard or bare ground, the homeless come together under bridges and trees, their belongings in plastic bags symbolising lives on the move.

Many have arrived on the streets just recently, victims of the same prosperity that has transformed cities across the US West Coast. As officials struggle to respond to this growing crisis, some say things are likely to get worse.

Vibrant Portland, Oregon's largest city, has long lured many. It is the City of Roses, of pleasant climate, rich culture and progressive thinking. It is also an innovation hub, part of what is called Silicon Forest, and new residents have moved here in these post-recession years attracted by its high-tech companies and their well-paid jobs.

But the bonanza, unsurprisingly, has not come to everyone.

Booming demand in an area with limited housing offers quickly drove the cost of living up, and those who were financially on the limit lost the ability they once had to afford a place.

Many were rescued by family and friends, or government programmes and non-profit groups. Others, however, ended up homeless. The lucky ones have found space in public shelters. Not a few are now in tents and vehicles on the streets.

"Even though the economy has never been stronger," Mayor Ted Wheeler, a Democrat, said, "inequality [is] growing at an alarming rate and the benefits from a [growing] economy are increasingly concentrated in fewer and fewer hands... We have increasing disparity all across the United States, and that's definitely impacting people."

Exactly. Efforts to address homelessness get very distorted by this--the more effort you put into helping them the more come there, the more we make it unpleasant the more move away.

You have to categorize what you mean by homeless.

There is the working poor family who can not afford rent.
There are the drug addicts and mentally ill who can not care for themselves who are out on the streets.
There are really people who choose being homeless rather than accept restrictions for aid.
There are the unemployed.
There are those who just want to hang out, slackers.

Here in Seattle if you want to work at the Seattle min wage you can afford housing somewhere. You can rent a room. There are support programs.

Near where I live is a large Goodwill facility where job training and skills are taught for free. You can get a stipend while training.

There is a Tacoma program that trains those on the bottom in basic construction skills. A demand in the area.

Where are the homeless to move?

Well, probably to places with better services for the homeless. It’s not liked their locked into a mortgage and can’t relocate or anything.

Mobility being one of the benefits of homelessness, I guess. But without sufficient money to pay your way, not particularly wanted or needed anywhere.

I would like to know as well. Reducing the number of homeless is trivial, depending on how exactly you want to do it.

They moved to Seattle.

Exactly. Efforts to address homelessness get very distorted by this--the more effort you put into helping them the more come there, the more we make it unpleasant the more move away.

Yes. If as the OP stated, the homeless were known by name and situation, then their fates could be tracked and known. Did they simply disappear from Houston? That is what I am tempted to believe.

Perhaps our desire for information and a solution on this subject would be better served by actually following a small group of "homeless" through those efforts made toward their improvement. Otherwise we're all still dealing with numbers, not people.

Based on my wife's experience with this problem and the time she spent formally volunteering in efforts to solve the problem, most folks in this situation have issues far beyond gainful and sufficient employment.

Based on what I could find, it looks like the primary cause of Houston's reduction is a "housing first" approach, meaning that funds are allocated to build housing or provide rent support and priority #1 is to find and offer permanent housing for the homeless:

http://www.thewayhomehouston.org/about-us/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2xw0_csnfdITXFQoWa8uCI&cshid=1555267761745

https://www.google.com/amp/s/psmag....s-virtually-ended-homelessness-among-veterans

Well, that sounds like an effective program.

Back
Top Bottom