• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Florida nixes African American studies course, claims it ‘lacks educational value’

“Well frankly I’m against the College Board’s curriculum. I think it’s trash. It’s not African American history. It is ideology. I’ve taught African American history, I’ve structed syllabuses for African American history. I am African American history. And talking about ‘queer’ and ‘feminism’ and all of that for the struggle for freedom and equality and justice has not been no tension with queerness and feminist thought at all.”

“Well frankly I’m against the College Board’s curriculum. I think it’s trash. It’s not African American history. It is ideology. I’ve taught African American history, I’ve structed syllabuses for African American history. I am African American history. And talking about ‘queer’ and ‘feminism’ and all of that for the struggle for freedom and equality and justice has not been no tension with queerness and feminist thought at all.”

Can you explain that last sentence in detail?

Also, it's studies, not just history, no?

Can you explain that last sentence in detail?

Also, it's studies, not just history, no?
Yeah, that last sentence is garbled. My take away is that the AP course included ideological talking points that have nothing to do with AA history.

DeSantis is the real deal.

Fn5FhuTXkAEfAun

Not directly related to the topic observation here:
If you look at topics in politics, you can't help it but to come to a conclusion that most people here hate everything about America - racism, police brutality, political corruption, incompetence, trump, etc.
But the moment it comes to abroad - "We are the best and know everything better and our (corrupt) politicians are right and trustworthy". I find that weird.

The reason why CRT has problems is because it has a tendency to attract useless ideologues who make this shit their business model. Why everything has to be a business?

DeSantis is the real deal.

Fn5FhuTXkAEfAun

That's misleading. The NYT either changed the wording or it never said that.

Here is current article:

I will add--buried in the article is the following:
Moreover, College Board officials said Wednesday that they had a time-stamped document showing that the final changes to the curriculum were made in December, before the Florida Department of Education sent its letter informing the College Board that it would not allow the course to be taught.

Note this is studies, not merely history. So it can include viewpoints and analyses without advocating those viewpoints. Like, say, this is BLM. Here is what they think. Here is a criticism of BLM. You can imagine test questions covering history, but also an additional question, like what is BLM.

The final version from Dec removed BLM (and reduced Intersectionality) in the course. It made BLM a topic optional as a research choice.

The College Board was already getting feedback from professors etc about the course. They had reduced much analytical viewpoints and controversial topics that would trigger conservatives through a self-censor process including feedback. No doubt some of the feedback they received came from the same people that complained to DeSantis, too.

It's more like this:
A + B ==> C (AP made changes )
A + D ==> E (DeSantis said AP needed to make changes)

DeSantis and his cronies will want DeSantis to take credit, like E ==> C, but it's not quite true.

If you look at topics in politics, you can't help it but to come to a conclusion that most people here hate everything about America - racism, police brutality, political corruption, incompetence, trump, etc.
But the moment it comes to abroad - "We are the best and know everything better and our (corrupt) politicians are right and trustworthy". I find that weird.

The reason why CRT has problems is because it has a tendency to attract useless ideologues who make this shit their business model. Why everything has to be a business?
Barbos, it's more than possible to like the good things about a nation, while still critiquing its problems and failings. I do not "hate everything about America", and I doubt anyone in this conversation would agree with such a statement. Neither do I agree that "our (corrupt) politicians are right and trustworthy". If I were to try and search for an honest politician, or one with whom I agree on matters of foreign or domestic policy, the office of Ron DeSantis is not where I would commence my quest.

Barbos, it's more than possible to like the good things about a nation, while still critiquing its problems and failings. I do not "hate everything about America", and I doubt anyone in this conversation would agree with such a statement. Neither do I agree that "our (corrupt) politicians are right and trustworthy". If I were to try and search for an honest politician, or one with whom I agree on matters of foreign or domestic policy, the office of Ron DeSantis is not where I would commence my quest.
the thing with republitards is that without stretching any and every topic to the extreme, such as "hate EVERYTHING" and "Love EVERYTHING", they have no platform upon which to stand.
Instead of, "guns in society are good and legislation around gun control should accomplish the goal of....etc..." they are "THEY GONNA TAKE YER GUNSSS!!11!one"
Vote for me because the other one is BAAAAAD.
Just stop.

Neither do I agree that "our (corrupt) politicians are right and trustworthy"
You only don't agree when you know for sure they lied and it suits you to disagree. And the only time they don't lie is when it suits them to not lie.

Last edited:
DeSantis and the Florida legislature playing micromanager and overlord of the Florida school curriculum has nothing to do with education and everything to do with their political campaigns. Since the AP course is a course designed to promote the study of African American history and culture, not to promote any particular theory about race, it poses no danger to anyone, but it is an easy target for politicians to take potshots at. If it were a course on Cuban American Studies, I doubt they would be passing laws to ban it. Not in Florida, anyway. That would be political suicide for those very same politicians. Republicans depend on the votes of Cuban Americans. Democrats depend more on African American voters, so people of that heritage can be easily disrespected and dismissed.

DeSantis and the Florida legislature playing micromanager and overlord of the Florida school curriculum has nothing to do with education and everything to do with their political campaigns. Since the AP course is a course designed to promote the study of African American history and culture, not to promote any particular theory about race, it poses no danger to anyone, but it is an easy target for politicians to take potshots at. If it were a course on Cuban American Studies, I doubt they would be passing laws to ban it. Not in Florida, anyway. That would be political suicide for those very same politicians. Republicans depend on the votes of Cuban Americans. Democrats depend more on African American voters, so people of that heritage can be easily disrespected and dismissed.
Unless they called it "AP Latinx Studies"...

Disagree--an honest study of the issue poses a risk to the white nationalists by showing their position false.

Here is an update:
"In Florida's effort to engineer a political win, they have claimed credit for the specific changes we made to the official framework," the College Board said. "In their February 7, 2023, letter to us, which they leaked to the media within hours of sending, Florida expresses gratitude for the removal of 19 topics, none of which they ever asked us to remove, and most of which remain in the official framework."

The College Board reached out to Florida officials for details about how the proposed course framework violated state law but didn't receive any of that information in subsequent phone calls with the department, the testing organization said.

"These phone calls with FDOE were absent of substance, despite the audacious claims of influence FDOE is now making," the College Board's statement reads. "In the discussion, they did not offer feedback but instead asked vague, uninformed questions like, 'What does the word 'intersectionality' mean?' and 'Does the course promote Black Panther thinking?'"

"We had no negotiations about the content of this course with Florida or any other state, nor did we receive any requests, suggestions, or feedback," the statement said.

Emphasis added.

Interesting, isn't?

If you read the rest of the article you can see DeSantis is trying to threaten the College Board contracts without explicitly threatening them.

Here is an update:
"In Florida's effort to engineer a political win, they have claimed credit for the specific changes we made to the official framework," the College Board said. "In their February 7, 2023, letter to us, which they leaked to the media within hours of sending, Florida expresses gratitude for the removal of 19 topics, none of which they ever asked us to remove, and most of which remain in the official framework."

The College Board reached out to Florida officials for details about how the proposed course framework violated state law but didn't receive any of that information in subsequent phone calls with the department, the testing organization said.

"These phone calls with FDOE were absent of substance, despite the audacious claims of influence FDOE is now making," the College Board's statement reads. "In the discussion, they did not offer feedback but instead asked vague, uninformed questions like, 'What does the word 'intersectionality' mean?' and 'Does the course promote Black Panther thinking?'"

"We had no negotiations about the content of this course with Florida or any other state, nor did we receive any requests, suggestions, or feedback," the statement said.

Emphasis added.

Interesting, isn't?

If you read the rest of the article you can see DeSantis is trying to threaten the College Board contracts without explicitly threatening them.
Typical Retard behavior. I'm not surprised at this.

It isn't racism, it is erasism. These people will not be replaced, but the racist history will be erased.

Back
Top Bottom