• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Folding@Home thread (revival from FRDB/IIDB)

Shake

Basic Beliefs
agnostic atheistic humanist
Hey there, I hope this is a good place to put this thread. I am looking to revive/reinvigorate the Folding@Home team known as 'The Godless Ones'. The project page has changed and you can view it here. Feel free to look around the page and read up on the science of protein folding and see what papers have been written. When you click on the 'Start Folding' link, it will give you instructions for downloading and installing the software. After installation, pick a name and to have your work counted for our team, make sure you input the team number, 34395, in the appropriate box. With the default settings, it won't affect your system at all. It runs on unused CPU cycles in the background. If you're one who leaves their machine on 24/7, then it'll be chugging away while you're sleeping or away. There is another site which handles the statistics. That is, you can see how many WUs (work units) we've completed and how many points our team has through the Stanford page, but if you want more in-depth statistics, here is the link to the team summary page at Extreme Overclocking. For several years, we were in the top 200 teams of the project, but we've been sliding over the last year or so, and continue our decline. The above page shows the next 5 teams we're set to overtake and the top 5 set to overtake us. Clicking on your own username (or anyone else's for that matter), will bring you to a similar chart. Stats are broken down to show monthly, weekly, daily, and hourly* production. So, you can look back over time, compare time frames and view trends, etc. I was in the top 20 of our team for a long time, but got passed by some fast burners who then have since stopped, and I'm slowly plugging away trying to catch back up. According to my stats page, it'll be about 3 months before I catch the next person on our team.

Here is a link to the wiki page on the project. On the computing side, here is the bit about performance (emphasis mine):
On September 16, 2007, due in large part to the participation of PS3s, the Folding@home project officially attained a sustained performance level higher than one native petaFLOP, becoming the first computing system of any kind to do so.[102][103] Top500's fastest supercomputer at the time was BlueGene/L, at 0.280 petaFLOPS.[104] The following year, on May 7, 2008, the project attained a sustained performance level higher than two native petaFLOPS,[105] followed by the three and four native petaFLOPS milestones on August 20[106][107] and September 28, 2008 respectively.[108] On February 18, 2009, Folding@home achieved five native petaFLOPS,[109][110] and was the first computing project to meet these five levels.[111][112] In comparison, November 2008's fastest supercomputer was IBM's Roadrunner at 1.105 petaFLOPS.[113] On November 10, 2011, Folding@home's performance exceeded six native petaFLOPS with the equivalent of nearly eight x86 petaFLOPS.[103][114] In mid-May 2013, Folding@home attained over seven native petaFLOPs, with the equivalent of 14.87 x86 petaFLOPs. It then reached eight native petaFLOPS on June 21, followed by nine on September 9 of that year, with 17.9 x86 petaFLOPS.[115] Its current performance of 40.2 x86 petaFLOPS and 14.4 native petaFLOPS is given above.
So come, join the team and donate your spare CPU cycles towards real scientific research!

*actually updated every 3 hours :p

I don't get on to forums at all much any more. I just finally bookmarked this one so I don't go to FRDB first. ;)

Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom