• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

For Atheists - define what you don't believe in

You have posted a hell of a lot of really dumb assertions but this one has gotta go into the records.

Really? :lol:

If you think leprechauns exist or are not sure, then maybe you're not in the position to decide dumbness.

There ain't no Santa either.
Now you have moved into support for the atheist argument. Atheist often make the comparison between beliefs in Santa and God too.

Let's compare the belief in Santa to the religious belief in God:

Many people earnestly believe in God. Many people earnestly believe in Santa.

There is some "evidence" for Santa - Trusted authority figures assert he exists, toys under the tree, NORAD tracking his travel on Christmas eve, stores recognize his reality with displays, etc.

The "evidence" for God is that trusted authority religious figures assert he exists.

The path that allows me to confirm that leprechauns don't exist is wrong?
That's just it. You haven't confirmed it. Merely stated it.
I should instead the path that prevents from knowing whether or not leprechauns exist?

No thanks.
No one said that, either.
I must conclude you're being obtuse on purpose.

You don't believe that leprechauns exist do you? If that is the case, please explain how you know.

You have posted a hell of a lot of really dumb assertions but this one has gotta go into the records.

Really? :lol:

If you think leprechauns exist or are not sure, then maybe you're not in the position to decide dumbness.

There ain't no Santa either.
Now you have moved into support for the atheist argument. Atheist often make the comparison between Santa and God too.

There is some "evidence" for Santa - Trusted authority figures assert he exists, toys under the tree, NORAD tracking his travel on Christmas eve, stores recognize his reality with displays, etc.

The "evidence" for God is that Trusted authority religious figures assert he exists.

The evidence for the non-existence of Santa Claus is the same. It's called expectation of knowledge. I have children and know I purchased their Christmas gifts. I'm also in contact with many other parents, none of whom have had Santa give their children presents.

A man in a flying sled visits the entire globe in one night delivering gifts to every child in the world? There is no evidence and if there were we would be aware of it.

Sorry. No Santa Claus.

Now you have moved into support for the atheist argument. Atheist often make the comparison between Santa and God too.

The "evidence" for God is that Trusted authority religious figures assert he exists.

The evidence for the non-existence of Santa Claus is the same. It's called expectation of knowledge. I have children and know I purchased their Christmas gifts. I'm also in contact with many other parents, none of whom have had Santa give their children presents.
Confused are you???

Yes, you are with respect to Santa the equivalent of atheist to god. Children earnestly believe in Santa just as the religious earnestly believe in god.
A man in a flying sled visits the entire globe in one night delivering gifts to every child in the world? There is no evidence and if there were we would be aware of it.
Again you are taking the atheist argument to heart. Absurd claims (without evidence) by believers in either Santa or god should be dismissed.
Sorry. No Santa Claus.
Exactly the point. But I would state it as no evidence so no reason to believe Santa is real. The same with god.

Confused are you???

Yes, you are with respect to Santa the equivalent of atheist to god. Children earnestly believe in Santa just as the religious earnestly believe in god.
Again you are taking the atheist argument to heart. Absurd claims (without evidence) by believers in either Santa or god should be dismissed.
Sorry. No Santa Claus.
Exactly the point. But I would state it as no evidence so no reason to believe Santa is real. The same with god.

Comparing Santa Claus to God is a false equivalency.

The evidence for the non-existence of Santa doesn't apply to God.

- - - Updated - - -

If that is the case, please explain how you know.
Except that even if I thought I could say I "KNOW" there are no Leprechauns, that's a discrete statement from claiming that I have "confirmed" that there are no Leprechauns.

Do you know that there are no leprechauns or not?

Confused are you???

It is an argument against blind belief (any belief) in anything for which there is no evidence. That's not a false equivalency.
There is no evidence for non-existence for either Santa or god. However there is no evidence for the existence of either.

Why do you think so? I've been working on a comment on why theists and atheists talk past one another, and it's this "not an equivalent" stance that's key to knowing if I'm the right track. So, if you will, don't be flip. It would be informative if you could explain this some. Thanks.

It is an argument against blind belief (any belief) in anything for which there is no evidence. That's not a false equivalency.
There is no evidence for non-existence for either Santa or god. However there is no evidence for the existence of either.

The argument against Santa isn't the same as the one against God.

The argument against Santa isn't the same as the one against God.

It is.

Your asserting that it isn't is a piss poor argument. You will need to expand quite a bit to explain how it is different. You could start by explaining how blind belief (without evidence) in anything is vacuous except in one case which you happen to embrace.

Why do you think so? I've been working on a comment on why theists and atheists talk past one another, and it's this "not an equivalent" stance that's key to knowing if I'm the right track. So, if you will, don't be flip. It would be informative if you could explain this some. Thanks.

Sure. I mentioned earlier that we would know if Santa existed based on the attributes Santa is purported to have. We know that no one delivers gifts to all the children of the world in one night. If that were happening we would know it.

This would not apply to any god and especially the Christian God. If we wanted to prove that God doesn't exist then we wouldn't point out that he doesn't deliver gifts to all the children in the world in one night from a flying sled.

There is no necessary connection between God and Santa.

If we wanted to prove that God doesn't exist then we wouldn't point out that he doesn't deliver gifts to all the children in the world in one night from a flying sled.
What an odd distinction.

The Bible promises that God will grant any true believer anything he asks for. So a believer could pray to God and ask for presents given to all the (good) children in the world in one night. From a flying sled.
THEN, if no toys are distributed, there would be no false equivalency. The proof against Santa and God would be identical.

If we wanted to prove that God doesn't exist then we wouldn't point out that he doesn't deliver gifts to all the children in the world in one night from a flying sled.
What an odd distinction.

The Bible promises that God will grant any true believer anything he asks for. So a believer could pray to God and ask for presents given to all the (good) children in the world in one night. From a flying sled.
THEN, if no toys are distributed, there would be no false equivalency. The proof against Santa and God would be identical.

It's not an odd distinction. Obviously you agree or you wouldn't provide different evidence for arguing against god as opposed to Santa.

Are you referring to Scripture? Can you quote it?

It's not an odd distinction. Obviously you agree
Whatever makes you feel less alone, Randy.
or you wouldn't provide different evidence for arguing against god as opposed to Santa.
I didn't provide different evidence. I just argued the SAME evidence could be used.
Are you having problems reading the screen?
Yes, and yes.

Mark, 11: 24
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

What an odd distinction.

It's not an odd distinction. Obviously you agree or you wouldn't provide different evidence for arguing against god as opposed to Santa.

Here's another one:

John 15:7

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

I would say that if you accept the Biblical god as fact than you should accept Santa as real. Santa would just be the means god created to fulfill the children's prayers for toys.

Sure. I mentioned earlier that we would know if Santa existed based on the attributes Santa is purported to have. We know that no one delivers gifts to all the children of the world in one night. If that were happening we would know it.

This would not apply to any god and especially the Christian God. If we wanted to prove that God doesn't exist then we wouldn't point out that he doesn't deliver gifts to all the children in the world in one night from a flying sled.

There is no necessary connection between God and Santa.

It is misleading to use words like "know" and "proof" in these discussions, because we are really talking about plausibility rather than logic. Existence claims need to be plausible in order for us to take them seriously. So I agree with the gist of your claim that we can "know" that elves and Santa Claus do not exist, if you are willing to accept that the word "know" is equivalent to "consider plausible". The preponderance of evidence is that Santa Claus, elves, and other mythical beings are imaginary, not real. I can even go along with the point that Santa Claus and God are not equivalent beings, although they have some very similar characteristics. Both know whether you've been good or bad. They more or less keep track of your behavior and offer rewards for good behavior. Both can perform miracles, although God has an arguably greater range of miracles.

There is one huge difference between God and Santa Claus: adults don't believe in the existence of the latter. There isn't just a lack of evidence for the existence of Santa Claus and other mythical beings. There is a record of how and why such a being was invented. That is, there are very good reasons to believe that Santa does not exist. And we really would expect to have evidence of Santa's existence, unless, of course, Santa has a magical means of hiding himself from public observation.

What about God? Is there a similar record of people inventing gods out of whole cloth? Is there a record of people making up stories about God and using those stories to deceive other people? Can people who claim to have secret knowledge of the existence of God be deceiving themselves and others? More importantly, is it reasonable to expect that we would have physical traces or evidence of the existence of God? Like Santa, he might be able to use supernatural means to prevent us from detecting him. But is God really a plausible being?

To summarize my point: claims of the existence of beings like gods, elves, fairies, etc., are empirical claims. You can't prove logically that they don't exist, but you can prove it empirically. That means that there will always be a logical argument somewhere that they could exist, just not a plausible one. And it is on that basis, I think, that we can "disprove" the existence of gods in an empirical sense. We can assess the plausibility of such claims.

Whatever makes you feel less alone, Randy. I didn't provide different evidence. I just argued the SAME evidence could be used.
Are you having problems reading the screen?
Yes, and yes.

Mark, 11: 24
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

The same evidence can't be used. :lol: They aren't the same. Are you having difficulty understanding?

I don't think Christians believe in praying for temporal things. If you could pray for a Ferrari and get one I'd sign up today.

You'll have to ask one of them.

.......snip........

To summarize my point: claims of the existence of beings like gods, elves, fairies, etc., are empirical claims. You can't prove logically that they don't exist, but you can prove it empirically. That means that there will always be a logical argument somewhere that they could exist, just not a plausible one. And it is on that basis, I think, that we can "disprove" the existence of gods in an empirical sense. We can assess the plausibility of such claims.

But then what is "plausible" is personal and subjective, as should be obvious in reading any debate about religion.

A couple examples:
Atheists don't find religious claims to be plausible while the religious do.
Creationists don't find the theory of evolution plausible though it is a staple in science.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom