• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

For Christians, define god

Apparently the big difference between Christianity and Islam is that Muslims attribute everything to 'the will of Allah' while, for Christians, god is only involved in things they like - everything else is chance, cause and effect, or Satan.
Odd, then, the number of people reporting running into Muslims in strip clubs in the Far East, boozing and saying 'Allah cannot see us here.'

I guess He is allpowerful in a limited area,while god is powerful, but allgood allover.

Apparently the big difference between Christianity and Islam is that Muslims attribute everything to 'the will of Allah' while, for Christians, god is only involved in things they like - everything else is chance, cause and effect, or Satan.
Odd, then, the number of people reporting running into Muslims in strip clubs in the Far East, boozing and saying 'Allah cannot see us here.'

I guess He is allpowerful in a limited area,while god is powerful, but allgood allover.

Good point. I guess I should have specified "Devout Muslims" as opposed to "social Muslims".

The guy I was talking about is a devout Muslim. He always ends any statement of intent with "ʾin shāʾa llāhu" (if Allah wills it).

And I doubt that any Christian sees God as something that can be defined,
Says the person who didn’t want to speak for all Christians.

but cosmological concepts defy satisfying definition.
Says who? I’m quite satisfied with the definition of the big bang theory. Whether it’s true or not is immaterial to the fact that it’s solidly defined. One can study it or argue over it because it’s defined.

Anyone older than the age of eight or so, who has really thought about their faith, is going to give you vague and abstract answers, because the most expansive things in the universe are that way.
No, they really totally aren’t. ANyone over the age of 8 or so knows that.

The problem is not that they are all confused about what they believe in, but that you are confused about them.
But oddly, when we ask questions, they get all confused.

God (noun): (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

C'est voila!

You’ve missed the main point of the thread. When we encounter a religionist, they talk about their god. The dictionary definition does not match the one they are talking about. You should note that we are not asking about the “correct” or “real” definition of god, because history has shown us there isn’t one.

What we’re really interested in, what we are really curious about is THEIR version of THEIR god. How do they see it. How do they envision it. How do they, personally, define it to themselves.

That was the question to you. You said you were agnostic about gods. Then you started describing other people’s gods. Then you got cranky when people started talking about those other people’s gods that you were describing and you pouted that you shouldn’t have to speak for others. Then you spoke for others.

At any rate, it is great to know these new definitions of god. So that next time Lion talks about his god we can know that he means Ra and Thor. And that Learner means Santa and all the other spirits. And that you are agnostic about the god you believe in. And Tiger, I forget what Tiger said, but it didn’t relly describe a god; was his the not-sprig god?

We’ve asked for context for those other conversations, and new we have it.
We just wanted to know what on earth y’all were talking about when you talk about gods.
This is what we got. This is the context we were given to take into those other conversations.

Back
Top Bottom