• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foreign Election Influencers in Social Media

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist
Twitter is back, and the person running it is a MAGA Republican. So are the fake accounts designed to promote Donald Trump, and so are the hostile foreign actors who use them to spread misinformation and misinformation about the candidates. A lot of information about American voters has been stolen in the past, including contact details (email, cell phone numbers, street addresses), and it can be used in attempts to manipulate public opinion. It is not that difficult to set up profiles on massive numbers of individuals in terms of their political and religious views. So specific audiences of people can be targeted for social media campaigns.

Here is a story of just one example of such a campaign. It is not known which state actor (if any) is behind the fake Twitter accounts--probably Russia, Iran, or China--but those countries could even be collaborating to help pump up the Trump-Vance campaign or hurt the Harris-Walz campaign. So far, I have not seen reports of any state-sponsored social media campaigns to do the opposite. There is no evidence that these efforts are in any direct way connected to the Trump campaign, although I'm sure he welcomes them.

‘My identity is stolen’: Photos of European influencers used to push pro-Trump propaganda on fake X accounts

There is no evidence that these efforts are in any direct way connected to the Trump campaign
Lulz.
It is amusing that Katie Polglase, Pallabi Munsi, Barbara Arvanitidis, Alex Platt, Mark Baron and Oscar Featherstone can figure out who and how many they are, but Elon, Donald, and the MotherZucker can't muster the forces to assemble that knowledge and delete all the fake accounts?
They actually encourage it; it makes their businesses look like they're worth more.

If you go after the trolls, scammers, grifters, and fake accounts YouTube and FaceBook will go after you. If some conspiracy theorist chemtrail UFO asshole is getting lots of views with their bullshit YouTube will protect them from the debunkers.

Back
Top Bottom