• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Frogger Raider

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
A long time ago I was playing Hasbro's Frogger 97 with I think a Voodoo 2 or 3 card and then switched to play Tomb Raider 2 or 3. Well somehow all the textures of Frogger were being used for Tomb Raider.

Any ideas on how this happened?

A long time ago I was playing Hasbro's Frogger 97 with I think a Voodoo 2 or 3 card and then switched to play Tomb Raider 2 or 3. Well somehow all the textures of Frogger were being used for Tomb Raider.

The most likely scenario is malware messing up local files. really. not that it is likely, but that is the least unlikely.
Slightly less likely to cause such a specific corruption of texture memory is a bug in the video driver... how such a bug can retain the texture memory of one application and manage to apply it to another in some identifiable way is unimaginable. Like a bug getting squashed on your windshield and the goo spelling "ouch" in perfect Times New Roman font.

Likely a problem with the VRAM on the video card. That could lead to a variety of visual glitches with textures.

Likely a problem with the VRAM on the video card. That could lead to a variety of visual glitches with textures.

ya, glitches...texture corruption... crashes... totally could. But the exact textures from an application that has since terminated getting mapped to foreign UVs in such a way as to be identifiable? Hardly the thing "bad memory" can do in my experience. Hardware does not tend to fail that specifically and elegantly.

ya, glitches...texture corruption... crashes... totally could. But the exact textures from an application that has since terminated getting mapped to foreign UVs in such a way as to be identifiable? Hardly the thing "bad memory" can do in my experience. Hardware does not tend to fail that specifically and elegantly.

The only things that came to mind for me were drivers and memory, and from what I remember the VooDoo cards had pretty good drivers back then, unlike some of their competitors (looking at you Diamond). The texture files getting swapped around on disk does make the most sense, but that would be an oddly specific thing for malware to do.

I am wondering what the ultimate solution to the problem was, as that might give a bit more insight.
[MENTION=424]repoman[/MENTION], were you able to resolve the issue? If so, what steps did you take?

Back
Top Bottom