• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Funny Loglines

Wiploc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Just read Save the Cat again. It wants me to do logline exercises: What is the movie (or book) about? Who is in it?

Basically, a logline is the words from the movie poster.

The Hangover: "Some guys just can't handle Vegas."
Titanic: "Nothing on earth could come between them."
I forget, maybe Alien: "In space, no one can hear you scream."

I'm doing research for this post and discovering that many posters don't have loglines.

So, think of it as an elevator pitch: You're writing a movie that will be perfect for Brad Pitt. You get on an elevator, and who should step in with you but Brad Pitt. He pushes the button for the next floor. You have just seconds to describe your movie well enough that he wants to be in it.

Describe your movie in one or two sentences.

Which brings me to the example that inspired this thread. This could be the logline from a movie you are quite familiar with:

"An orphan gets religion so he can work vengeance on evildoers. His spirit guide commits suicide right in front of him, and then keeps taunting him from beyond the grave, saying, "Use the force, Luke."

The actual logline from the Star Wars poster was, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away."

Anyway, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to provide a brief and humorously unexpected description of a familiar book or movie.

This message will self-destruct in five seconds.

"Toys are alive but play dead when humans are around. A boy's old favourite accidentally sends his replacement to a death camp, then rescues him with the help of some wacky companions."

Does it have to be original, or can I use the logline that actually got the star to want to be in the movie?

"Snakes on a Plane"

A young boy left alone in his family's Chicago suburb home deals with unsavory people and learns valuable lessons about himself and life. (the second sentence is a variable)

If the unsavory elements are thieves, it's Home Alone.
If the unsavory elements are prostitutes, it's Risky Business.
If the unsavory element is the tyrannical school principal, it's Ferris Beuller's Day Off.

"A kidnap victim suffers Stockholm syndrome so appealingly that the movie is remade yet again."

Beauty and the Beast

"Urgent and important work is undertaken for the public good, on a vessel of insufficient magnitude."

Jaws

Last edited:
Does it have to be original, or can I use the logline that actually got the star to want to be in the movie?

"Snakes on a Plane"

No rules, I guess. That way we can post magnificent real loglines, like,
"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water."

-

Or maybe we'll develop rules if somebody figures out how to turn this into a contest.

An orphaned (or nearly orphaned) child is taught valuable skills by unusual characters and has adventures beyond his wildest imagination.

If the unusual characters are pirates, it's Treasure Island.
If the unusual characters are shaggy pirates with no legs, it's Muppet Treasure Island.
If the unusual characters are space pirates, it's Guardians of the Galaxy.
If the unusual characters are shaggy jungle beasts, it's Tarzan. Or Jungle Book.
If the unusual characters are wizards, it's Camelot. Or Harry Potter.
If the unusual characters are dead pirates, it's Pirates of the Caribbean.
If the unusual characters accidentally worship a golden calf, it's The Ten Commandments.
If the unusual characters include a suicidal nanny AND a homicidal nanny, it's The Omen.
If the unusual characters break into song every time you blink, it's Wizard of Oz. Or Muppet Treasure Island. Or Jungle Book. Or Oliver!

[Or maybe we'll develop rules if somebody figures out how to turn this into a contest.
You pick a word, like, say, 'tiger.'

Everyone tries to come up with a tagline that includes the word 'tiger,' with the movie title hidden.
Such as for Jungle Book, Life of Pi, Ice Age (stretching a bit), Winnie the Pooh (stretching a lot), Kung Fu Panda, Dr. Doolittle (1998), Apocalypse Now ("Never leave the boat, man, never leave the boat!").
Funniest one takes the prize, as judged by the word selector, winner gets to pick the next word.

Back
Top Bottom