• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Furious About Ferguson? Work to Free Shaneen Allen

Jason Harvestdancer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Wiccan
Furious About Ferguson? Work to Free Shaneen Allen

Whatever we eventually learn about what happened in the streets of Ferguson, Missouri on August 9, Michael Brown is beyond mortal help. The same is not true of Shaneen Allen, a 27-year-old working mother of two and robbery victim who faces an eleven-year prison term for the supposed offense of carrying a legally licensed firearm.

Like the late Mr. Brown, Allen – a resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- is an African-American. She has no criminal record, and her case is untainted by allegations that she had committed a violent crime.

In planning to take the case to trial this October, Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain is committing what could be construed as a race-specific violation of due process by seeking prison time: As we will shortly see, a white Pennsylvania resident who committed the same “offense” was given a pre-indictment plea deal involving two years of non-supervised probation. McClain’s proposed “deal” for Allen would have included a mandatory three and a half year prison sentence.

Allen, a medical professional who works two jobs, was victimized by a series of robberies. A concerned relative advised Allen to get a gun to protect herself and her two young children. She purchased a gun, completed a firearms safety course, and obtained official permission from the State of Pennsylvania to exercise her innate right to self-defense. However, she made the mistake of crossing the Delaware River into a different tax jurisdiction called New Jersey, where the ruling political clique is stingier in granting that supposed privilege, and refuses to recognize firearms licenses that are issued by their counterparts elsewhere in the country.

After being stopped by a revenue farmer for violating one of New Jersey’s myriad official restrictions on the right to travel, Allen made the tragic mistake of being entirely candid when asked if she had any weapons in her possession. Rather than being handed an extortion note (more commonly called a “traffic ticket”), she was abducted and charged the second-degree felony of “unlawful possession” of the means of self-defense.

More race based injustice by police, but it's not too late to do something about it.

In planning to take the case to trial this October, Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain is committing what could be construed as a race-specific violation of due process by seeking prison time: As we will shortly see, a white Pennsylvania resident who committed the same “offense” was given a pre-indictment plea deal involving two years of non-supervised probation. McClain’s proposed “deal” for Allen would have included a mandatory three and a half year prison sentence.

That is so wrong. :( Thanks for the link.

I read about this yesterday. This is a case where the prosecutor is just plain evil. A good prosecutor uses his or her discretion. Once I got a ticket for disturbing the peace on New Years. I was young, drunk, and being loud. I went to talk to the prosecutor and he basically said, "ah... it was New Years and 20 min after midnight". And dropped the case/ticket.

And if I was the cop I wouldn't have arrested her in the first place.

So having a gun can get you 3.5 years in jail on a plea?

Here is a mainstream article, which notes that Ray Rice was before the same prosecutor and judge. This seems quite absurd. No one benefits from her going to jail.

Washington Post article.

In jail for 40 days prior to making bail?! Are you fucking kidding me? The Justice system is about making us safe, not destroying someone's life over differences in state laws.

Not just that no one benefits - it's a net harm. A big one. We are taking a productive member out of society and paying for their incarceration. Screwing up a family and destroy her future.

WTF?

This is the stupidest criminal case I've heard of in a while.

I have committed the same crime driving from Alpena Michigan where I had a conceded weapons permit, that is another story, through Illinois, I had business in Chicago, back up through Wisconsin where I also probably was committing a felony back into the upper peninsula of Michigan where I once again was a law abiding citizen. The pistol was broken down and in the trunk but I found out later that it didn't matter, at least in Illinois,

In the future I sent the pistol by fedex broken down so that it would not show up as a pistol on a cursory examination. I put it into a bag meant for rolls of camera film. This is legal.

I can sympathize with my fellow felon. Her firearms training course should have warned her about traveling to other states. (I didn't have take a course, only an examination because I had firearms training in the military for pistols.)

WTF?

This is the stupidest criminal case I've heard of in a while.

While there are some special circumstances in this case, in general this is actually fairly common due to the Lernean Hydra of firearms laws in the US (though FOPA did help to some degree).

My mom often traveled across state lines with her kids and her gun. Can't be to careful out there, she used to say.

This woman should not be looking at jail time. She has done nothing wrong.

Reactions: WAB
My mom often traveled across state lines with her kids and her gun. Can't be to careful out there, she used to say.

Looking at? She had already served 40 days because of not being able to make bond for over a month.

NPR did a cover story on the Bail bond industry and the report noted that those who made bond quickly typically were able to get the best deals with the prosecution and those who didn't make bond early or at all, had harsher plea deals.

Looking at? She had already served 40 days because of not being able to make bond for over a month.

NPR did a cover story on the Bail bond industry and the report noted that those who made bond quickly typically were able to get the best deals with the prosecution and those who didn't make bond early or at all, had harsher plea deals.

and that shouldn't have happened either.

There should be no jail time, past or future, for this woman

She has done nothing wrong.

It sounds like a lawsuit is in order. The state owes her restitution.

It sounds like a lawsuit is in order. The state owes her restitution.

Ultimately proving that this is racially motivated prosecution will be an uphill battle. Since NJ does not have a reciprocity agreement her possession of the gun is technically illegal, and her attorney simply pointing to Doering's sentencing will not be enough to make the case.

Back
Top Bottom