• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gallup: People who identify as Democrat and Republican at an all time low

Tristan Scott

Basic Beliefs
Open
For the past 7 years, according to Gallup, there have been more people who identify themselves as independents than either Democrat or Republican. This trend has recently peaked as last month 44% of those polled identified themselves as Independent, compared to 31% Democrats and 25% Republican. In the same poll 49% said they were leaning towards Democrat and 41% were leaning towards Republican. It's interesting that while most people identify as Independents you could say that they themselves are more divided on most issues than are Democrats and Republicans.

This is really the model that is driving this years presidential election.

It's ironic that of the 10% of independents that don't lean towards one party or the other Bernie Sanders' approval rating is only 31% (as opposed to 68% among democrats) even though he has identified as an Independent most of his career. I guess thats why he's running as a Democrat.

Since the Democratic party has moved so far to the right, there's no longer any place for the moderate majority. They've bailed on the Democrat-Republican Cabal and gone independent.

I haven't voted for a Republican for more than 16 years, but I still don't like to be called a Democrat even though that's where most of my votes go.

I just feel like labeling myself a D puts me in a box with a pile of slime.
It's interesting that while most people identify as Independents you could say that they themselves are more divided on most issues than are Democrats and Republicans.

It's ironic that of the 10% of independents that don't lean towards one party or the other Bernie Sanders' approval rating is only 31% (as opposed to 68% among democrats) even though he has identified as an Independent most of his career. I guess thats why he's running as a Democrat.
In my mind the word "Independent" doesn't signify group affiliation, quite the opposite. So there is no reason to be surprised that voters who identify as "Independent" don't vote in lock step with each other.

"Independent" isn't a party. IMO it's just a more polite metaphorical version of the "Other" category you might see in a survey, with an implicit blank line next to it where you can fill in more details later.

For the past 7 years, according to Gallup, there have been more people who identify themselves as independents than either Democrat or Republican. This trend has recently peaked as last month 44% of those polled identified themselves as Independent, compared to 31% Democrats and 25% Republican. In the same poll 49% said they were leaning towards Democrat and 41% were leaning towards Republican. It's interesting that while most people identify as Independents you could say that they themselves are more divided on most issues than are Democrats and Republicans.

I would submit that the data you presented shows that "most" people, (56%) identify with a party. The independents are the 44% remaining.

Well America isn't exactly very friendly to transgender people, so it isn't a surprise that this applies to transparty people as well.

Oh wait... the OP title should be an "or" not an "and".

- - - Updated - - -

Since the Democratic party has moved so far to the right, there's no longer any place for the moderate majority. They've bailed on the Democrat-Republican Cabal and gone independent.
Not true. I think the trouble is the general consensus is that the Republicans are "too far right" and the Democrats are "too far left". These people seem to think they are the moderates and are not represented, which is odd because they may actually be left of the Democrat Party or are old school Republicans.

Jimmy Higgins
Not true. I think the trouble is the general consensus is that the Republicans are "too far right" and the Democrats are "too far left". These people seem to think they are the moderates and are not represented, which is odd because they may actually be left of the Democrat Party or are old school Republicans.
No, the US has become an oligarchic kleptocracy, evolving into a police state. Both parties now seem to accept that government is the enemy, government is incompetent, privatization is good and regulation is harmful. The Democrats, over the past three decades, have been dragged along, even if they did make the occasional, feeble attempt to resist.

Right wing, Republican values of sixty years ago:

1. Provide federal assistance to low-income communities;
2. Protect Social Security;
3. Provide asylum for refugees;
4. Extend minimum wage;
5. Improve unemployment benefit system so it covers more people;
6. Strengthen labor laws so workers can more easily join a union;
7. Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of sex.

From the 1956 Republican Party platform -- this was the right wing.
Even Reagan and Nixon would be considered radical leftists by today's standards. They'd be unelectable.

Jimmy Higgins
No, the US has become an oligarchic kleptocracy, evolving into a police state. Both parties now seem to accept that government is the enemy, government is incompetent, privatization is good and regulation is harmful. The Democrats, over the past three decades, have been dragged along, even if they did make the occasional, feeble attempt to resist.

Right wing, Republican values of sixty years ago:

1. Provide federal assistance to low-income communities;
2. Protect Social Security;
3. Provide asylum for refugees;
4. Extend minimum wage;
5. Improve unemployment benefit system so it covers more people;
6. Strengthen labor laws so workers can more easily join a union;
7. Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of sex.

From the 1956 Republican Party platform -- this was the right wing.
Even Reagan and Nixon would be considered radical leftists by today's standards. They'd be unelectable.

Yes. Neofeudalism is where we're headed. Where any economic surplus is siphoned off as debt interest.

The 50's were an interesting time, with Republicans vying with Dems over civil rights. A scenario almost unimaginable now. But AAs of the great migration living in the north could vote, and their votes were courted by both sides.

Back
Top Bottom