• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Genesis 29:18

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I first remember hearing this around 1st. grade. I thought it was a bad deal. Didn't Jacob get screwed and have to do another 7 years work?

Since Jacob was in love with Rachel, he told her father, "I'll work for you for seven years if you'll give me Rachel, your younger daughter, as my wife."

---EDIT----

Hey, can a mod move this to General Religion, please?

Last edited:
I first remember hearing this around 1st. grade. I thought it was a bad deal. Didn't Jacob get screwed and have to do another 7 years work?

Since Jacob was in love with Rachel, he told her father, "I'll work for you for seven years if you'll give me Rachel, your younger daughter, as my wife."
Yeah, Laban was a dick. He agreed to hand over Rachel for 7 years work, then at the last second said 'tradition says we marry the older daughter, first. You get Leah.' Could have maybe mentioned that 7 years ago....

Jacob ended up with two wives. I would not mind that. When it is legal to marry more than one wife men often choose to marry sisters, because they usually get along better than women who are not related.

Jacob ended up with two wives. I would not mind that.
Would you mind being swindled out of the attractive woman you wanted and waited 7 years for, and told to work another 7 for the woman you loved?

Leah was clearly not loved or even wanted by Jacob. She had to pray to God for any attention, and God gave her that by making her sister infertile. I would definitely mind if I put the effort in to earn Megan Fox and found myself in the morning with Sarah Palin in my bed...

Jacob ended up with two wives. I would not mind that.
Would you mind being swindled out of the attractive woman you wanted and waited 7 years for, and told to work another 7 for the woman you loved?

Leah was clearly not loved or even wanted by Jacob. She had to pray to God for any attention, and God gave her that by making her sister infertile. I would definitely mind if I put the effort in to earn Megan Fox and found myself in the morning with Sarah Palin in my bed...

It worked for Leah. She could not have been that bad looking.

It worked for Leah.
It worked for Leah?
'It' was the fact that Laban lied.
Jacob got screwed out of seven years of labor.
And Rachel saw the man she loved taking her sister's virginity instead of hers.

She could not have been that bad looking.
She certainly could have been.
Note that the only way Laban got her married off was a bait-and-switch double cross.
And it took the action of the supreme being of the universe for her to get any kids off her own husband, and even then she didn't get any attention from him.

Meh, Jacob had it coming. He really stole the birthright and the blessing, so fuck him! To quote Jacob:

"Karma is a bitch."
Gen 28:42

Nothing about this story made sense to me as a kid either. Jacob couldn't see who he was fucking? After 7 years he still couldn't tell their voices apart? It's a lame story that's little else besides plot devices no better than criminals always leaving Batman and Robin alone in a killing machine so they have a chance to escape rather than popping a cap in their asses. Genesis is little else besides a bunch of bedtime stories for kids.

Yeah, Laban was a dick. He agreed to hand over Rachel for 7 years work, then at the last second said 'tradition says we marry the older daughter, first. You get Leah.' Could have maybe mentioned that 7 years ago....

Yes, but Laban was following the One True Religion, and was therefore a good person, therefore what he did was good. ;)

Yes, but Laban was following the One True Religion, and was therefore a good person, therefore what he did was good. ;)
Except that lying lips are an abomination to the Lord. And "i'll give you the woman you love for seven years labor" was a lie, because the truth was "i'll give you the woman you love for 14 years labor and taking oldest daughter off my hands...."

Right, just about everyone is a bad person.......

The ethical and cultural scribblings of bronze age goat herders presented in the form of a Holy Book as the Word of God and a guide to modern living...

Right, just about everyone is a bad person.......

That's not true. Following the One True Religion makes you morally superior.

In fact when I point at the evidence that Christians very much aren't morally superior, most Christians get very angry at me and declare all the evidence invalid.

Nothing about this story made sense to me as a kid either. Jacob couldn't see who he was fucking? After 7 years he still couldn't tell their voices apart? It's a lame story that's little else besides plot devices no better than criminals always leaving Batman and Robin alone in a killing machine so they have a chance to escape rather than popping a cap in their asses. Genesis is little else besides a bunch of bedtime stories for kids.
Very true. The entire Bible is just an early version of Hollywood.

Well maybe it was dark in the tent. And she was silent during the sex. That's one possibility.

Technically Laban did not break his word. After getting Leah married off after a week he gave Rachel also in marriage to Jacob and then made him serve another 7 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Well maybe it was dark in the tent. And she was silent during the sex. That's one possibility.

Drunk? Laban arranged a great feast and everybody drank their heads off.

For the OP, the story was garbage, even as children we noticed this.

Laban was lucky Jacob didn't rip his lying head off and take all his goods, livestock AND women. Those desert tribesmen were vicious.

Poor Leah, I always felt sorry for her.

Technically Laban did not break his word.
Technically, Jacob is saddled with a wife he didn't want, but already broke so he ccan't take her back, and another 7 years of labor on his shoulders. This is not the deal Jacob agreed to, so Laban did break his word.

Back
Top Bottom