• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Glenn Thompson Repub from PA votes NO on same sex marriage bill.....

I'll be honest, I half expected the other part of that sentence to be, "...and then got arrested at a public toilet for solicitation with a rent boy".

Instead he's a hypocritical cunt with some family values so...yay I guess? That's what passes as progress for right wingers these days.

From his speech at the wedding:

We love it when they find their one true love, especially when they become a part of our families then. That’s what we’re rooting for,” Thompson said, praising his son for his selection of a husband.

Is this guy for real?

I wonder what his son thinks of this.

We love it when they find their one true love, especially when they become a part of our families then. That’s what we’re rooting for,” Thompson said, praising his son for his selection of a husband.

Is this guy for real?

I know if I was his son I'd be waiting for an opportunity to be free from his money and then if disown him.

Is this guy for real?

I know if I was his son I'd be waiting for an opportunity to be free from his money and then if disown him.
200w.gif
Father's nuts.

It would help if you linked to a source. For example, what was the 'same sex marriage bill'? What did he vote 'no' to? What, specifically, makes his actions hypocritical?

Rep. Glenn Thompson, R-Pa. attended his gay son’s wedding just three days after joining the majority of his GOP colleagues in voting against a the Respect for Marriage Act, that would codify federal protections for same-sex marriage, which passed the US House last week,.

It would help if you linked to a source. For example, what was the 'same sex marriage bill'? What did he vote 'no' to? What, specifically, makes his actions hypocritical?
Easy to find on Google:

Yes, I'm well aware search engines exist. It's just bad OP etiquette, in my humble opinion.

I'd be curious to hear if Thompson has an explanation. There might be valid reasons to object to the bill. As far as I can see, it commits the federal government to recognizing as legitimate a marriage between a 40-year-old man and his 8-year-old bride, if it took place in Yemen with her parents' consent.

I'd be curious to hear if Thompson has an explanation. There might be valid reasons to object to the bill. As far as I can see, it commits the federal government to recognizing as legitimate a marriage between a 40-year-old man and his 8-year-old bride, if it took place in Yemen with her parents' consent.
That is not a reason to "object to the bill". That is a reason to "offer a common sense amendment to the bill" as pertains to a lower-age bound of such codification.

As such, while it is a reason to offer an amendment it is merely an excuse to object to the bill entire.

I must apologize for voting against this bill, because it would imply I reject the ideal of gays in America being able to marry. However, this bill also allegedly requires us recognizing the marriage of 40 year old men and 8 year old children from Yemen. Which is pretty darn common. More common than gay marriage. I know, I was like... 'man it is that common?!'

So instead of proposing an amendment or a replacement bill because I really support gay marriage... I'm just voting no and dropping the mic. *mic drop*

Politicians are hypocrits. Whoda figured? Requiring mask mandates and isolation, while going maskless and socializing themselves. Pushing for public schools while sending their kids to private schools. Lecturing about climate change then traveling to far away lands for boondoggles on smoky private jets. Preaching family values then trying to pick up a rent boy in an airport bathroom. Demonizing public law enforcement while utilizing a private security force for themselves.

That is not a reason to "object to the bill". That is a reason to "offer a common sense amendment to the bill" as pertains to a lower-age bound of such codification.

As such, while it is a reason to offer an amendment it is merely an excuse to object to the bill entire.
For all we know a committee Republican offered a lower-age bound amendment, a committee Democrat said it was racist, and then everybody treated the issue as toxic. That isn't the point. Based on generic ecological considerations, if a bill has one problem a non-lawyer can see it's likely to have ten a lawyer would spot.

A more plausible non-hypocritical explanation would be that he has no problem with gay marriage for Pennsylvania but he's a "states' rights" extremist and doesn't think the feds should be imposing a nationwide standard. As thebeave points out, the default assumption for a politician is that he's a hypocrite. That applies regardless of the topic and regardless of whether he looks like one. Just saying we ought to hear a guy out before we convict him.

However, this bill also allegedly requires us recognizing the marriage of 40 year old men and 8 year old children from Yemen. Which is pretty darn common. More common than gay marriage. I know, I was like... 'man it is that common?!'
It's not obvious that bills should be judged by considering only on their effects on the most common cases. As for how common it is, I couldn't say; but for every example the Western media reports there are probably at least ten we never hear about because the eight-year-old girl didn't die of pregnancy complications.

I know nothing about Glenn Thompson, or his family.

But he wouldn't be the first politician to vote against something his constituents opposed, knowing that the measure would be passed anyway. Because most of Congress had a constituency that was in favor. So the measure would pass, regardless of how he voted.

This isn't difficult to understand.
Tom

For all we know a committee Republican offered a lower-age bound amendment, a committee Democrat said it was racist, and then everybody treated the issue as toxic. That isn't the point. Based on generic ecological considerations, if a bill has one problem a non-lawyer can see it's likely to have ten a lawyer would spot.

A more plausible non-hypocritical explanation would be that he has no problem with gay marriage for Pennsylvania but he's a "states' rights" extremist and doesn't think the feds should be imposing a nationwide standard. As thebeave points out, the default assumption for a politician is that he's a hypocrite. That applies regardless of the topic and regardless of whether he looks like one. Just saying we ought to hear a guy out before we convict him.

However, this bill also allegedly requires us recognizing the marriage of 40 year old men and 8 year old children from Yemen. Which is pretty darn common. More common than gay marriage. I know, I was like... 'man it is that common?!'
It's not obvious that bills should be judged by considering only on their effects on the most common cases. As for how common it is, I couldn't say; but for every example the Western media reports there are probably at least ten we never hear about because the eight-year-old girl didn't die of pregnancy complications.
While you are crawling along the floor looking for asterisks, I misplaced a sock, so if you find one, that could be it.

I know nothing about Glenn Thompson, or his family.

But he wouldn't be the first politician to vote against something his constituents opposed, knowing that the measure would be passed anyway. Because most of Congress had a constituency that was in favor. So the measure would pass, regardless of how he voted.

This isn't difficult to understand.
Tom
We be talking Civil Rights here, not a tax on carbon. And yes, his district does contain a lot of trees and trees hate gay marriage.

Back
Top Bottom