• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

GODZILLLLLLAAA

Celldweller

Basic Beliefs
Book of Leviathan
Pipe up. Who's seen it and what's the verdict. I'm antsy in my pantsy to see this. Walter White still Walter White-ish or did Bryan Cranston add to the flick beyond endless grimaces and squints.

Just saw it. The last part of it is awesome. You can pretty much fast forward through the first hour and a half, though.

There's one point when a guy talks about Godzilla and the other monsters and says "Let them fight!" and I was like "Ya ... why aren't you letting them fight? Stop cutting away to some stupid other scene as soon as they start to fight. WTF is behind this editorial decision?"

Probably money and time for the CGI of the fights. One way that suitmation and other practical effects are more cost effective at times.

Imagine high end suitmation (digitally corrected for scale of size and motion), motion capture and the practical effects level of the 1982 "The Thing" and polishing that with CGI. Wow!

But also, I have watched a couple interviews of Gareth Edwards and he seems to get off of teasing and being too clever by half.

Give it an 8.5

The fighting was great, just wish it was more clearly visible.

The human side of the story was generic and mostly irrelevant.

Monster fights were outstanding.

I gave it a 6.5, but I would go for a sequel, especially if they put in more giant monster battles.

Cranston was barely in it, don't get excited for him at all, but he did a good job with what little role he had.

The first opportunity they have to show a good monster fight, they cut away immediately and never come back to it. This was also the only monster fight that would have happened during the day. Most of the rest of the action was shot at night, and those scenes were pretty dark, which meant half the time I was just trying to figure out what the hell was going on. I want to watch it again when I can control the brightness on my TV.

I am a big kaiju fan, and I really enjoyed Edwards' first film, Monsters, but for now I can only give Godzilla a 6/10.

Dammit, Pacific Rim also had most of the fight scenes at night.

I double down on my previous post. Motion Capture fights that are scaled to the large creature size of these monsters with the rest of work done on the surfaces to make it look realistic.

Dammit, Pacific Rim also had most of the fight scenes at night.

I double down on my previous post. Motion Capture fights that are scaled to the large creature size of these monsters with the rest of work done on the surfaces to make it look realistic.

Pacific Rim also did a better job of illuminating those night-time fight scenes. The kaiju and jaegers were more colorful, and the environments were better lit than in Godzilla. The night fight scenes in Godzilla suffered from both muted color schemes, and poor lighting.

The other kaiju were another thing I dislike about the new Godzilla, they were too generic. At one point I got excited because I thought a Rodan type kaiju was coming on the scene, but it turned out to just be the same monster as before, only now with wings. I liked the fact that Pacific Rim used a variety of kaiju, many of which were homages to the old Godzilla/Mothra/Gamera kaiju.

Like I said, I would like to see it again with the ability to control the brightness, maybe the guys in the projector room where I saw it just did not give a shit, and failed to adjust brightness accordingly, or they needed to replace the bulb in the projector and were too cheap to do so. IDK, but for now I like Pacific Rim better because I could tell what was going on for the entire movie.

I gave it a 6 over in the movies thread.

Lame. Dumb. Cardboard cut-out movie.

2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

Don't waste money on 3D.

The only thing the audience I was with really like was the monster fight.

Back
Top Bottom