• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good relational database system, under Window?

Anyone can link to a good database freeware?

I'll need a relational database system, under Window.

There are several contenders: https://blog.capterra.com/free-database-software/

Any opinions on these?

Thanks! :)
EB

Why do you think you need a relational database? What are you going to use it for?

Sorry I can't go into the details but, broadly, it's a conceptually complex application.

I'm starting with a small sample of data that I'll use to develop a model that I will later, if all goes well, try to apply on a potentially much larger data set I don't have yet. So, I will need to have a model of data that fits my a priori conception of the field, with likely the need later to evolve it, hopefully without too much effort.

I worked part of my professional life developing small applications often using very large data sets, and I always had to evolve the model of data after a time because the initial end-users usually didn't know quite enough about their own jobs.

And I like the conceptual cleanliness and flexibility of the relational model. It's something I can trust. And the model of data is already a bit complicated.

It will be all ordinary, textual data.

Operational performance should be crucial at the "big data" stage.

Also, I don't plan to go over the Internet. Local seems good enough to me.

Again, sorry I can't go into specifics but I hope it's good enough for you!
EB

Postgres is great open source technology.

Thanks!

Their website's blurb is really great and tickle all my fancies. So, can I trust your endorsement is based on real hard work in development? :D
EB

Any opinions on these?

EB

Why do you think you need a relational database? What are you going to use it for?

Sorry I can't go into the details but, broadly, it's a conceptually complex application.

I'm starting with a small sample of data that I'll use to develop a model that I will later, if all goes well, try to apply on a potentially much larger data set I don't have yet. So, I will need to have a model of data that fits my a priori conception of the field, with likely the need later to evolve it, hopefully without too much effort.

I worked part of my professional life developing small applications often using very large data sets, and I always had to evolve the model of data after a time because the initial end-users usually didn't know quite enough about their own jobs.

And I like the conceptual cleanliness and flexibility of the relational model. It's something I can trust. And the model of data is already a bit complicated.

It will be all ordinary, textual data.

Operational performance should be crucial at the "big data" stage.

Also, I don't plan to go over the Internet. Local seems good enough to me.

Again, sorry I can't go into specifics but I hope it's good enough for you!
EB
so you are just storing a lot of data. single user, no big streams through the system... then you could just hold data in dataclasses in memory. you dont need a database.

so you are just storing a lot of data. single user, no big streams through the system... then you could just hold data in dataclasses in memory. you dont need a database.

Sorry, I don't understand. What are "dataclasses"?

That's really all new to me. I guess it's been a very long time since I last dabbled in computer programmes. I kind of miss it, though.

Now, I'll need to be able to query my data set so I guess I need a query language. And to be able to use a query language I would assume I have to have a way to organise my data into a structure where the various parts of the structure are related to each other in a specific and reliable way that will be conceptually clear to me. So, it really seems to me I'll need a structured query language, and SQL is a structured query language as far as I know. How data classes would be better?

Can you do all that with data classes?

What's better about data classes?

And why not "common classes"? Is there a reason you think I should prefer data classes?

Or just give me a link to a good tutorial on data classes and I'll come back to you later on that. :p
EB

Sorry, I don't understand. What are "dataclasses"?

That's really all new to me. I guess it's been a very long time since I last dabbled in computer programmes. I kind of miss it, though.

Now, I'll need to be able to query my data set so I guess I need a query language. And to be able to use a query language I would assume I have to have a way to organise my data into a structure where the various parts of the structure are related to each other in a specific and reliable way that will be conceptually clear to me. So, it really seems to me I'll need a structured query language, and SQL is a structured query language as far as I know. How data classes would be better?

Can you do all that with data classes?

What's better about data classes?

And why not "common classes"? Is there a reason you think I should prefer data classes?

Or just give me a link to a good tutorial on data classes and I'll come back to you later on that. :p
EB

I just ment that you can create your datastructure in code as lists of classes (one class = one post, each class property = one column)and work from there.
I have done this in several projects linq in C#.
If you not familiar with linq: its a library for writing queries in C#
There is even constructs in C# that lets you write the queries as if it is a part of the language itself.

Examples
https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/101-LINQ-Samples-3fb9811b

OK, thanks, Juma. :)
EB

SQL Server Express is free and gets you all the benefits of SQL Server. Integrates well with C# Linq, so you can pull it all into dataclasses as much as you want.

SQL Server Express is free and gets you all the benefits of SQL Server. Integrates well with C# Linq, so you can pull it all into dataclasses as much as you want.

Oh, thanks... You work at Quantico, no? :D

Good, I visited the Website and all seems top of the charts. And it should provide a seamless experience for this very average user. I'll probably try that first. Thanks!
EB

The easiest one is SQLite. I once used it a bit, and using it is E-Z. It does not use a database-server process, and the database's contents are stored in a file that one points to with the SQLite software. So selecting it is essentially selecting a file to open.

However, it does not do large datasets very well, I mean datasets in the hundreds of megabytes or gigabytes. Speakpigeon, how much data do you want to store?

Relational databases store their data in tables, essentially spreadsheets with named columns. The data attributes of each column's entries are the same by column, though different columns can have different attributes. Attributes like string, integer, unique (yes, one can impose uniqueness), whatever the software supports. SQL ("Structured Query Language") is a language for manipulating the contents of these tables. Here is the W3Schools tutorial: SQL Tutorial -- to read from a database, use the "SELECT" command. To add new data, "INSERT", to alter data, "UPDATE", and to delete data, "DELETE". There is also a lot of stuff for specifying data sources and destinations, conditions to perform some operation, etc.

There are some alternatives to relational databases, like key-value ones and hierarchical ones. Key-value databases are easy to do within relational ones, but hierarchies are more difficult. One gives every row a unique ID number, and one also gives each row a parent ID number in the hierarchy. The root node gets some special parent ID number, like 0 or -1 or NULL (blank database entry, not 0 or a zero-length string).

Any opinions on these?

EB

99% of Java developers think a relational database is "a bucket to dump lists of information into".

Someone mentioned Postgres.. One of the forensic software tools I use natively runs on a Postgres RDB. I never need to tinker with it (which is a accolade to it's stability), and the tool is court-approved (so data integrity is strong and demonstrable). There are many millions of records across hundreds of databases in my environment... so, ya. Prolly a great choice.

The easiest one is SQLite. I once used it a bit, and using it is E-Z. It does not use a database-server process, and the database's contents are stored in a file that one points to with the SQLite software. So selecting it is essentially selecting a file to open.

However, it does not do large datasets very well, I mean datasets in the hundreds of megabytes or gigabytes. Speakpigeon, how much data do you want to store?

Relational databases store their data in tables, essentially spreadsheets with named columns. The data attributes of each column's entries are the same by column, though different columns can have different attributes. Attributes like string, integer, unique (yes, one can impose uniqueness), whatever the software supports. SQL ("Structured Query Language") is a language for manipulating the contents of these tables. Here is the W3Schools tutorial: SQL Tutorial -- to read from a database, use the "SELECT" command. To add new data, "INSERT", to alter data, "UPDATE", and to delete data, "DELETE". There is also a lot of stuff for specifying data sources and destinations, conditions to perform some operation, etc.

There are some alternatives to relational databases, like key-value ones and hierarchical ones. Key-value databases are easy to do within relational ones, but hierarchies are more difficult. One gives every row a unique ID number, and one also gives each row a parent ID number in the hierarchy. The root node gets some special parent ID number, like 0 or -1 or NULL (blank database entry, not 0 or a zero-length string).

MySQL is a better non-professional / non-critical process choice. SQLite is about the same in quality as MS Access. If you can use SQLite for your "application", then you might as well just use Excel and learn the VLOOKUP function, heh.

Thanks!

I want to stick with what I'm reasonably familiar with. Unfortunately, I suspect that most of the environments I used to work in have probably now disappeared. So, some kind of SQL database should be my safety net.

I don't have a view on how much data I may one hypothetical day need to be able to manage. So, I guess, ease of use and ease of installation both take priority over gigantism, but I want to keep that in mind nonetheless. In the short term, it'll be sample data to test ideas, and after that more realistic cases, with "real-life" data from the Internet, but still small scale, just to demonstrate principles. And then, remotely conceivable, big data. Who knows... (not me).

What's crucial to me is that I could trust the results of my queries 100%, even in the perspective of a large dataset and complex models of data. The bigger and the more complex, the better.

I also suspect that people still routinely meet with bugs, whatever the origin of it. So, it's crucial I use only what software there is that's already tested and trusted by a large community of users. SQL Server Express seems to fit that description.

I'm already familiar with SQL and with the relational concept. All I need now is a product I can trust and a reasonably straightforward installation process. No funny business, please! :p
EB

Someone mentioned Postgres.. One of the forensic software tools I use natively runs on a Postgres RDB. I never need to tinker with it (which is a accolade to it's stability), and the tool is court-approved (so data integrity is strong and demonstrable). There are many millions of records across hundreds of databases in my environment... so, ya. Prolly a great choice.

Yes, I'll keep an option on PostgreSQL, too!

I might even want to check they give the same results! :D

Thanks.
EB

Why would SQLite be unsatisfactory?

From the developer:
https://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html said:
SQLite is not directly comparable to client/server SQL database engines such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server since SQLite is trying to solve a different problem.

Client/server SQL database engines strive to implement a shared repository of enterprise data. They emphasize scalability, concurrency, centralization, and control. SQLite strives to provide local data storage for individual applications and devices. SQLite emphasizes economy, efficiency, reliability, independence, and simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom