• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gravity correlated with mass or charge per fermion

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
I've been trying to find out why gravity is associated with mass, instead of something along the lines of number of fermions in a volume of spacetime. It seems like almost every experiment (that I've been able to find) starts with the ab initio (a priori) assumption that gravity arises due to mass, even the MoG theories (modified gravity... MoG).

Dropping the Newtonian assumption that gravity is a force, restricting ourselves to the Schwarzchild metric or the easier Newtonian gravitational acceleration (seen as spacetime geometry distortion, rather than acceleration), we can explain the geometry of spacetime in 2 ways.

Calculate a G (Gp) that is correlated with the number of fermions in 1kg of Pb (I have access to measurements of Newtonian G that use Pb attractors), you can use this G to determine the ~number of particles in the Earth, Moon, and Sun (but not the mass, which would remain an unknown). For simplicity, just consider a large object acting upon a much smaller object so we don't have to take into account their common barycenter...

Newtonian G:

a= GM/r^2;

Particular G:

Gp = gravitational constant associated with # of particles instead of mass
Q= number of fermions

a= Gp Q/r^2

In the Particular G case, Kepler's 3rd law gives us the number of particles in a massive body, rather than the mass of the massive body, which would be an unknown.

In the Particular G case, neutrinos might contribute significantly to gravitational acceleration and explain the missing source of gravitation for galactic rotation curves.

I've thought about ways to check this (should be really easy to implement the one).

I'm wondering about the various assumptions about the composition and densities of various astronomical bodies (even the Earth), since they calculate the mass of these objects using a G associated with mass instead of a Particular G that treats all particles equally. :cheeky:

Last edited:
I'm sure at least one experiment has tested the effect of gravity on bosons, right?
On bosons, yeah. Confirmation of GR during solar eclipse (warping of photons around the sun- a galaxy that should have been behind the sun was seen to be beside it).
On fermions? Yeah.

Of (gravitational effect of the # of bosons in a volume of space*)? Not as far as I can tell.
Of (gravitational effect of the # of fermions in a volume of space*)? Not as far as I can tell.
Of (gravitational effect of mass in a volume of space)? Yeah... but does not check whether it is # of particles or mass.

* think charge of 1*(Particular G constant) per particle instead of mass

won't photons "in a box" also add to gravity?
According to what I've been taught, yes. But I have yet to see an experimental reason for what I've been taught.

If gravity is correlated with mass (stress energy) it would seem like the answer is yes.

If it is correlated only with the number of fermions "in a box", then no.

Back
Top Bottom