• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gun Control - Lawless President at Work Decree Making Again, oh joy!

maxparrish

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Libertarian-Conservative, Agnostic.
Few issues gets our eternal partisan campaigner and lavish DECREE maker, in a rage quite like gun control. In an ad-lib speech today the angry, sarcastic, and disdainful "leader" was doing his best to contain heartfelt emotions, as well as channeling "der Fuhrer's" ranting. It was a roller coaster of emotion, issuing demands and promising legal decrees (er actually agency "clarifications"). He Wow.

Perhaps Obama's anger was further fueled by someone giving him a semi-reality check to his unquenchable ambitions because the promised controls turned out, for the most part, to be pretty tepid stuff. No extended magazine ban, banning firearms to those on the no-fly list, etc. What happened to check, with perhaps one exception, his otherwise imperial sentimentality?

Several days ago, Eric Schultz reported “...he [Obama] has asked his team to scrub existing legal authorities to see if there’s any additional action we can take administratively.” Apparently Obama didn't want to know what was lawful, and then to examine his options. Nope, he knew what his "options" should be and he wanted his staff to "scrub (or scour?) the law to find a way to provide a fig leaf of legal authority for an unconstitutional/illegal decree.

So what happened? I suspect Obama got strong push back from some legal advisers and/or there is a growing awareness that Obama's unconstitutional imperial 'orders' might start generating political damage in an election year.

In any event, as dear leader has been unclear on one talking point, that of defining a "gun dealer". White House officials said someone could sell as few as one or two guns yet still be considered a dealer whose sales are subject to background checks - clearly an attempt to drive hobbyists from doing business. (It takes a YEAR just to complete the process of getting a gun license).

We shall see - in the meantime, its pretty clear that his actions could be unlawful if pushed too far.

PS: Original Edited to be fairer to Obama. After all, this may be the first time I have seen him show real empathy over human tragedy (well, other than when playing the race card).

Last edited:
See, this is what happens when you leave your legacy to the last minute and need to rush something.

While all of his proposals are good and your country really fucking needs to do something and you have one branch of government wholely devoted to doing absolutely nothing, so he kinds of needs to use a work around, it's the sort of thing that he should have started years ago as opposed to just getting it up and running and then dumping the problem on Clinton.

I'm also glad that he's bringing this up in an election year. It's the sort of issue which candidates should have a distinct opinion on which they take to the people during their campaign and then enact whatever they're advocating during their mandate. It is a serious issue, so so the Presidential contenders can use it as an opportunity to have a mature and serious discussion about ... oh, who am I kidding? It's an American election.

If he was sincere, he'd disarm the secret service and security at the White House. Kinda hypocritical that he can have guns for his and his family's protection but the hoi polloi can't.

If he was sincere, he'd disarm the secret service and security at the White House. Kinda hypocritical that he can have guns for his and his family's protection but the hoi polloi can't.

Kinda weird that you're worried about something not even being addressed in these executive orders.

What actions he can take is what actions he can take legally. You're totally off base here.

You may have guns, Truasti, but is your house properly sandbagged and is your family properly drilled for the warfare you must think is coming? I feel a lot of this addiction to owning guns is a kind of sick nostalgia for bygone days. Do you really feel there are people hunting you with guns? The wild west is gone. Cut the drama.

You may have guns, Truasti, but is your house properly sandbagged and is your family properly drilled for the warfare you must think is coming? I feel a lot of this addiction to owning guns is a kind of sick nostalgia for bygone days. Do you really feel there are people hunting you with guns? The wild west is gone. Cut the drama.

I don't own guns. But I strongly support the natural right of people to defend themselves. Governments come and go. Police are unreliable. That some are irresponsible doesn't mean all should suffer derogation of rights.

I have guns, bible and a fence. I think I properly qualify as living on a compound.

Now I just need to convince my wife that we need to start recruiting nubile 16 year old girls for our fledgling cult.

I don't own guns. But I strongly support the natural right of people to defend themselves. Governments come and go. Police are unreliable. That some are irresponsible doesn't mean all should suffer derogation of rights.

I support the people's Natural Light.

Now I just need to convince my wife that we need to start recruiting nubile 16 year old girls for our fledgling cult.

I had that conversation with my wife. It didn't go very well.

If you're successful with it, give me some tips for how you went about it so that I can bring the subject up again.

The "wild west" is gone in North Hollywood, CA.. and in the 7 or 8 major cities around the very far edges of this vast country. Us city slickers represent about "fuck all" percent of the people in the US. It makes no sense to allow guns on the downtown F train in Manhattan, but in 99% of the other places across this vast and diverse country it is fine, in my opinion. My point, is that our opinions (as city folk), are far from representative of the vast majority of people of this country.

My point, is that our opinions (as city folk), are far from representative of the vast majority of people of this country.

True, but your opinions probably are representative of those most effected by gun violence.

My point, is that our opinions (as city folk), are far from representative of the vast majority of people of this country.

True, but your opinions probably are representative of those most effected by gun violence.

None of this matters because Obama has tightened the loophole ever so slightly which means all of our guns are now to be confiscated.

I support the people's Natural Light.

How could you say such a thing in good conscience? Natural Light is barbarian swill, not deserving of the name "beer". It is an anathema to civilized beer drinkers the world over.

Smith & Wesson, Sturm Ruger Soar As Obama Tears Up
BY BILL PETERS, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Smith & Wesson (NASDAQ:SWHC) touched an all-time high and Sturm Ruger (NYSE:RGR) briefly broke out of a consolidation after a tearful President Obama outlined plans for tighter gun control.

Smith & Wesson gapped up 11% and finished at 25.86 in the stock market today. Sturm Ruger surged 6.76%, clearing a consolidation begun in August before finishing just below the buy point.

http://news.investors.com/010516-788157-swhc-rgr-jump-as-obama-announces-new-measures.htm

I wonder if Obama holds the stock.

Smith & Wesson, Sturm Ruger Soar As Obama Tears Up
BY BILL PETERS, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Smith & Wesson (NASDAQ:SWHC) touched an all-time high and Sturm Ruger (NYSE:RGR) briefly broke out of a consolidation after a tearful President Obama outlined plans for tighter gun control.

Smith & Wesson gapped up 11% and finished at 25.86 in the stock market today. Sturm Ruger surged 6.76%, clearing a consolidation begun in August before finishing just below the buy point.

http://news.investors.com/010516-788157-swhc-rgr-jump-as-obama-announces-new-measures.htm

I wonder if Obama holds the stock.

Were you smart enough to buy yesterday?

Back
Top Bottom