• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guns don't kill people - Children given powerful guns do

Idiots!

Barrel climb is a problem even for an adult.

I've seen a fairly simple, albeit ugly solution: Fasten something to the barrel, chain that something to a supporting framework. There is enough play in the chains that the gun can be aimed normally but not enough play to allow it to point in an unsafe direction.

Let me get this straight

YOU think the problem here is a failure to chain the gun?

Guy should have hung onto the Uzi while she fired it full auto and let her get used to the recoil.

Dumb on his part and the parents' part for wanting their daughter to take a "speed lesson" in shooting guns.

Sad for the little girl who will live the rest of her life reliving the experience of shooting someone in the head at point blank range.

RIP big guy.

If they were going to let someone of that size (I don't really think age is that important here) shoot a machine gun they should have done something about the possibility of the shooter losing control of the gun.

I proposed one solution I have seen done (although it involved an ordinary gun but untrained people), credoconsolans has another that would have also worked.

Let me get this straight

YOU think the problem here is a failure to chain the gun?

Guy should have hung onto the Uzi while she fired it full auto and let her get used to the recoil.

Dumb on his part and the parents' part for wanting their daughter to take a "speed lesson" in shooting guns.

Sad for the little girl who will live the rest of her life reliving the experience of shooting someone in the head at point blank range.

RIP big guy.

If they were going to let someone of that size (I don't really think age is that important here) shoot a machine gun they should have done something about the possibility of the shooter losing control of the gun.

I proposed one solution I have seen done (although it involved an ordinary gun but untrained people), credoconsolans has another that would have also worked.

Here's another solution - don't put guns into the hands of people who cannot handle them!!!!!
Your solution and credo's both leave the impression in the 9yo that s/he is now able to use this type of gun when s/he sees one. It is stupid to leave a child with that impression. "Yeah, I've done that before!"

Here are some quotes from the family and range owner:

range owner said:
Although there's no state law dictating an age requirement, the range has a self-imposed age limit of eight years old, Scarmardo said.

"We've got some pretty big, we grow some pretty big 8-year-olders out here in Arizona," Scarmardo said.

The young girl, shown wearing pink shorts and sporting a braided ponytail in a video detailing the moments before the fatal shooting accident, although slight, was nine years old.

"This was a very mature young lady and something she wanted to do and her parents were treating her," Scarmardo said. "You know this was a big, something that was high on her bucket list to do."

Yeah, this event was on her bucket list for sure. We can see that the bucket lists of 9yos should definitely be accommodated without any rational adult vetting the wish list for appropriateness.

I can't get over the immense sadness about that little girl being let down by the adults around her. They put a monumental burden on that girls shoulders for life. I hope she can learn to carry it without breaking. :(

Yeah, this event was on her bucket list for sure.
Letting pre-teens shoot uzis endangers them to the point that the phrase bucket list actually starts to apply to someone their age.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

The only way to stop a bad 9 yr old with a gun is a good 9 yr old with a gun.

Therefore, this incident could have been presented if the girl was surrounded by 9 yr olds with guns. The good 9 yr olds would have killed her before she managed to get a single shot off, and then we wouldn't have to endure this sad conversation, nor listen to gun-grabbers try to use this as an excuse to start the Gun Confiscation Conspiracy I've been trying to warn you idiots about for decades now. [/conservolibertarian]

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the little girl, but as far as I'm concerned, this is natural selection in action.

Right wing gun nuttery is an effective way to get stupid people to remove themselves from the gene pool.

In Australia, nine year old girls learn the recorder and watch 'The Saddle Club'.

Guns don't kill people - bullets do.

I feel sorry for the little girl, but as far as I'm concerned, this is natural selection in action.

Right wing gun nuttery is an effective way to get stupid people to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Some people have already suggested the instructor is a good candidate for the Darwin Awards. I don't know if handing a submachine gun to a minor meets their "self-selection" criteria though.

Exactly. I'd have to say that the first thing to come to an instructors mind should be: 'is this person able to handle the firearm safely?' Regardless of special needs, implementing safe handling procedure should be done in each and every case. Given the basic safety guidelines, this sort of thing is completely preventable.

Back
Top Bottom