• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Happy Juneteenth one and all!

The left seems concerned that teaching about the existence of Juneteenth is 'illegal'. This Tweet from The Daily Show:
https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1406219669401485312

The Daily Show

@TheDailyShow

·

14h

Happy Juneteenth! The first U.S. holiday that's illegal to teach about in 15 states.

Joy Reid thinks it's illegal to teach about it, too:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/juneteenth-joy-reid-red-states-slavery-republicans

"While Juneteenth will now be commemorated nationwide, there's a catch," Reid told viewers. "In some red states, it could soon be illegal to teach what the holiday is all about. That's because Republicans in state legislatures in a dozen states are aiming to dictate how historical and modern racism in America are taught."

She then singled out Texas and its Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, showing a Texas Tribune headline onscreen that read, "Texas ‘critical race theory’ bill limiting teaching of current events signed into law."
However, the article that Reid cites stated the bill mandates students be taught the history of white supremacy and slavery.
"It also mandates that students be taught ‘the history of white supremacy, including but not limited to the institution of slavery, the eugenics movement, and the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways in which it is morally wrong,’" the Tribune reported.

I mean, yeah, when you're literally trying to outlaw any teaching of "controversies" or "racial subjects", it'll be linda difficult to discuss what Juneteenth is about. And it's obvious that these "anti-CRT laws are really about preserving Lost Cause mythology and other such garbage, in the wake of Chauvin being (correctly) found guilty of murder.

The left seems concerned that teaching about the existence of Juneteenth is 'illegal'. This Tweet from The Daily Show:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/juneteenth-joy-reid-red-states-slavery-republicans

I mean, yeah, when you're literally trying to outlaw any teaching of "controversies" or "racial subjects", it'll be linda difficult to discuss what Juneteenth is about. And it's obvious that these "anti-CRT laws are really about preserving Lost Cause mythology and other such garbage, in the wake of Chauvin being (correctly) found guilty of murder.

Would you care to show a single jurisdiction that has actually outlawed teachers explaining Juneteenth to children?

In other completely unsurprising news, some folks are upset that we're finally officially celebrating the end of slavery...smack dab in the middle of Pride Month.

It's a cornucopia of change, and that's triggering a lot of people. Maybe they'll calm down in two months...when we celebrate the 101st anniversary of women being given the right to vote?

Sign on a pickup truck that drove down my block yesterday: "IF THIS FLAG OFFENDS YOU <image of Confederate flag> THEN YOU NEED A HISTORY LESSON." Gosh, should I wave the guy down and invite him in for tea & scones and a tour of my library? A meetin' of the minds?

Are you saying that lefty media types are purveyors of lies and misinformation? *shocking*

Speaking of "lies and misinformation"...

Fox’s anti-“critical race theory” parents are also GOP activists
One “everyday American” “parent” is a GOP consultant who worked for the RNC in 2020

Nearly a dozen of the Fox News guests the network has presented as concerned parents or educators who oppose the teaching of so-called “critical race theory” in schools also have day jobs as Republican strategists, conservative think-tankers, or right-wing media personalities, according to a Media Matters review.

Would you care to show a single jurisdiction that has actually outlawed teachers explaining Juneteenth to children?

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 9.32.44 AM.png

In addition, Arizona has a law (I think it just passed) that fines teachers $5000 if they allow a classroom discussion of "controversial issues" that fails to include "both sides." Anyone care to read the minds of future prospective jurors and judges, on that one? Anyone willing to bet their wallet on how one of McConnell's crop of jurists would interpret the law and its application?

One “everyday American” “parent” is a GOP consultant who worked for the RNC in 2020

Nearly a dozen of the Fox News guests the network has presented as concerned parents or educators who oppose the teaching of so-called “critical race theory” in schools also have day jobs as Republican strategists, conservative think-tankers, or right-wing media personalities, according to a Media Matters review.

Sure. All the parents and children showing up at school board meetings are GOP activists. John McWhorter is a GOP activist.

There's some confusion here, isn't there? Juneteenth, Critical Race Theory and the 1619 Project are all different things. They seem to be getting lumped together as if they are one and the same.

Not much of a "Gotcha question", considering that these laws, where they exist, have just been put in place, and school is out for the summer.

There's some confusion here, isn't there? Juneteenth, Critical Race Theory and the 1619 Project are all different things. They seem to be getting lumped together as if they are one and the same.

Bingo.

I'd never heard of Juneteenth until I joined the NAACP.
Explaining it in broad strokes is really easy. I'm sure schools could manage it as easily as describing Thanksgiving or Presidents Day.
Tom

Bingo.

Explaining it in broad strokes is really easy. I'm sure schools could manage it as easily as describing Thanksgiving or Presidents Day.
Tom

Yeah, it just marks the day when the last of the slaves were freed. What's the big deal? We all know the slaves were freed. No controversy there. I do wonder if making it a federal holiday is going to make our current racial divide worse though. People are going to exploit it for their own political ends, so if for some reason you're not 100% on board with it, you're going to be branded a racist. And it you make too big a deal about Juneteenth, you'll come across as just trying to pile on even more white guilt.

Sure. All the parents and children showing up at school board meetings are GOP activists. John McWhorter is a GOP activist.

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

Yeah, it just marks the day when the last of the slaves were freed. What's the big deal?

"just"? "What's the big deal"?

I don't expect public school K-12 education to be comprehensive. I'd rather they put more effort into basics, like math, critical thinking, and language skills than they do.

But I'm absolutely certain that spending a couple of U.S. history class days covering Juneteenth and not Grover Cleveland would benefit everyone.
Tom

Bingo.

Tom

Yeah, it just marks the day when the last of the slaves were freed. What's the big deal? We all know the slaves were freed. No controversy there. I do wonder if making it a federal holiday is going to make our current racial divide worse though. People are going to exploit it for their own political ends, so if for some reason you're not 100% on board with it, you're going to be branded a racist. And it you make too big a deal about Juneteenth, you'll come across as just trying to pile on even more white guilt.

Except...

You then have to explain *why* there was a racist, brutal system of chattel slavery, and if you want to be honest, that this was when the Emancipation Proclamation was *enforced*, not just when people heard of it (they knew of it very quickly due to southerners in other states sending the people they enslaved to Texas where they were what the slavers considered "safe", those who tried to enforce it before Juneteenth were chased pout or killed). And that means explaining that the Civil War was the south committing treason to expand slavery - whoops, someone's now offended because you're discussing slavery, and not talking about "State's Rights", and so forth.

So, can't teach the actual history of Juneteenth. Or he civil war. Or Reconstruction and it's end.

Except...

You then have to explain *why* there was a racist, brutal system of chattel slavery, and if you want to be honest, that this was when the Emancipation Proclamation was *enforced*, not just when people heard of it (they knew of it very quickly due to southerners in other states sending the people they enslaved to Texas where they were what the slavers considered "safe", those who tried to enforce it before Juneteenth were chased pout or killed). And that means explaining that the Civil War was the south committing treason to expand slavery - whoops, someone's now offended because you're discussing slavery, and not talking about "State's Rights", and so forth.

So, can't teach the actual history of Juneteenth. Or he civil war. Or Reconstruction and it's end.

Says who? This is so dishonest.

Except...

Well, of course you have to teach the backstory behind why there is a Juneteenth in the first place, otherwise it doesn't make much sense. And that means learning about slavery, Civil War, etc. That was all taught when I was in school, and for many years before that. That's nothing new. Juneteenth is a more recent thing. I think few people knew what it was until just the last couple of years. If people get offended learning about slavery, then fuck 'em. We need to teach the good, bad and ugly when it comes to our country's history.

Back
Top Bottom