• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hey, Alexa, what can you hear? And what will you do with it?

rousseau

Contributor
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/31/business/media/amazon-google-privacy-digital-assistants.html

Amazon ran a commercial on this year’s Super Bowl that pretended its digital assistant Alexa had temporarily lost her voice. It featured celebrities like Rebel Wilson, Cardi B and even the company’s chief executive, Jeff Bezos.

While the ad riffed on what Alexa can say to users, the more intriguing question may be what she and other digital assistants can hear — especially as more people bring smart speakers into their homes.

Amazon and Google, the leading sellers of such devices, say the assistants record and process audio only after users trigger them by pushing a button or uttering a phrase like “Hey, Alexa” or “O.K., Google.” But each company has filed patent applications, many of them still under consideration, that outline an array of possibilities for how devices like these could monitor more of what users say and do. That information could then be used to identify a person’s desires or interests, which could be mined for ads and product recommendations.

In one set of patent applications, Amazon describes how a “voice sniffer algorithm” could be used on an array of devices, like tablets and e-book readers, to analyze audio almost in real time when it hears words like “love,” bought” or “dislike.” A diagram included with the application illustrated how a phone call between two friends could result in one receiving an offer for the San Diego Zoo and the other seeing an ad for a Wine of the Month Club membership.

Some patent applications from Google, which also owns the smart home product maker Nest Labs, describe how audio and visual signals could be used in the context of elaborate smart home setups.

One application details how audio monitoring could help detect that a child is engaging in “mischief” at home by first using speech patterns and pitch to identify a child’s presence, one filing said. A device could then try to sense movement while listening for whispers or silence, and even program a smart speaker to “provide a verbal warning.”

[Remainder snipped for Copyright -- mod]

In the least surprising news of the week, Amazon and Google consider how to expand their monitoring in people's homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I got one of these as a gift and I have been unwilling to plug it in. Even less willing now.

Wow. I got one of these as a gift and I have been unwilling to plug it in. Even less willing now.

Knowing what I know about IT and business, I'm viscerally opposed to having one of these things in our home. I know there is no real danger, it's just a privacy line that I'm not willing to cross.

Hopefully in the coming decades regulations start catching up with the internet and people gain more control over their data, because right now the long tentacles of tech companies are... very long.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lawreport/2018-03-06/9501720
The Law Report -March 2018 (audio podcast and transcript options)

Michael Legg: The thing about the internet of things is that the way that it works is you will have sensors in often quite day-to-day advices which collect data, and then they will be connected to the internet to communicate that data, often done automatically, but sometimes only when the user sets it up and turns it on. But what that means is you have data that can be, if you like, creating potential evidence.

Erica Vowles: UNSW Law Professor Michael Legg is fascinated by the new types of evidence that are being created as we move through a trackable world, leaving a vaper trail of data in our wake.

Michael Legg: If you think about just some very basic things like, say, a thermostat, it will actually record the temperature in a particular room or it might record the presence of somebody in a room. And so that information, which previously would not have existed, now is recorded. And because it's recorded, it could then be accessed at a later date for a court case.

Don't worry. Congress will be in front of this, no doubt.

Hey George Orwell, come right in. I love how you make playing a music song a little bit easier. Totally worth the price!

We got one for a gift about two years ago, but we returned it to the store for credit and brought something that wasn't so stupid, and invasive of our privacy. Now that we know a lot more about Alexa, I'm glad we got rid of that nosy bitch.

It's bad enough my cell phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop are listening in on everything I say. I'll be damned if I'll bring one of those stupid smart speakers on top of everything else. Yeesh.

Michael Legg: said:
If you think about just some very basic things like, say, a thermostat, it will actually record the temperature in a particular room or it might record the presence of somebody in a room. And so that information, which previously would not have existed, now is recorded. And because it's recorded, it could then be accessed at a later date for a court case.

Jerry Brown in CA would love this type of information.

Anyway, I have an Alexa something, the one with the screen. It's plugged in but I don't find it very useful other than quickly getting answers to trivia, e.g. What year did the Angels win the World Series ? The kids ask it to fart and they seem to think that is quite amusing. And it often pipes up "sorry, I don't know the answer to that" unprovoked, it must hear soemething from the TV. I'm not paranoid but I have it facing the wall, just in case. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom