• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Higher global unemployment is the result of lower global labor share

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
http://angrybearblog.com/2014/03/hi...bal-labor-share-thank-you-michael-pettis.html

A brief summary is that a fall in labor share causes a rise in national savings, which can only be resolved by 1) increased investment, productive (S) or non-productive (NS), 2) rising inventories (NS), 3) a rise in credit-fueled consumption (NS), 4) a rise in unemployment (S). … Sustainable = (S), Not-sustainable = (NS)

There are only two sustainable outcomes. A rise in productive investment or a rise in unemployment. The problem with productive investment is that when effective demand is low, there is less incentive to invest in productive activity. Therefore, when labor share falls, and productive investment is not the outcome, eventually unemployment rises on a sustainable basis.

Basically as labor's share of income falls one an economy has only two sustainable options: 1) productive investment, or 2) higher unemployment.

Your summary kind of understates what he is saying. He is saying that the changes have to be made globally, because raising labor share in one country will probably lead to increased employment not at home, but in another country. I don't see how unemployment is considered sustainable however, when people have to work to eat = )

It is kind of depressing. I like the line that;

We are doomed because we live in a world of people who think like Milton Friedman. Unions and minimum wages are bad. Maximization of profit to shareholders is the prime goal.

This pretty much sums it up. The Anglo American disease of the imaginary free market has infected the world's economies. We all work for the economy, it doesn't work for us.

Every technological advance, from the stone axe to the modular recycled plastic house, is supposed to make human life easier. We're supposed to produce more of what we need with less labour. If that's not what happens, then either 1. there are too many of us or 2. somebody's hijacked the advances or 3.both.

It is kind of depressing. I like the line that;

We are doomed because we live in a world of people who think like Milton Friedman. Unions and minimum wages are bad. Maximization of profit to shareholders is the prime goal.

This pretty much sums it up. The Anglo American disease of the imaginary free market has infected the world's economies. We all work for the economy, it doesn't work for us.

Yeah, that line stuck out to me too.

- - - Updated - - -

Your summary kind of understates what he is saying.

True, I was trying to be concise but in doing so left out some of the gravity.

He is saying that the changes have to be made globally, because raising labor share in one country will probably lead to increased employment not at home, but in another country. I don't see how unemployment is considered sustainable however, when people have to work to eat = )

Basic income guarantees are looking better and better.

Yeah, that line stuck out to me too.

- - - Updated - - -

True, I was trying to be concise but in doing so left out some of the gravity.
You have an anti-gravity device :cool: hehehe

More seriously, it was an interesting article. Though I think automation/robotics should have at least been given a nod as to its impact to the value of labor and capital.

Every technological advance, from the stone axe to the modular recycled plastic house, is supposed to make human life easier. We're supposed to produce more of what we need with less labour. If that's not what happens, then either 1. there are too many of us or 2. somebody's hijacked the advances or 3.both.

This not what the article is about. In economics the labor share, what he calls the household share, is the portion of gross domestic product, GDP, that is paid in wages to workers. The opposite of the labor share is the capital share, the portion of GDP that is paid in profits, the portion of GDP that rewards investment.

The discussion is about the split of income, not the absolute amount of income. The labor share is roughly the demand in the economy and the capital share is roughly the supply in the economy, the money available for investment. It is roughly because investment creates demand too and workers save creating investment, which creates some crosstalk between the two.. But labor share equals demand and capital share equals supply are good approximations. We can certainly say that increasing the labor share increases demand and decreases the capital share and supply in the economy, investment. And decreasing the labor share decreases demand and increases the capital share and supply.

For thirty years we have actively pursued policies to increase the capital share and to decrease the labor share. It is called supply side economics because the theory is that the economy always has enough labor, a surplus. and the only way to employ that labor is to increase investment in new production facilities by increasing the amount of money available for investment. This means that we should increase income inequality by increasing the income of the rich and suppressing the incomes of everyone else because the rich have a greater propensity to invest.

While you can argue thirty years ago we possibly did have enough investment in the real economy there is no possible argument that we have not enough capital now for investment. After thirty years we are drowning in excess capital. It is what is fueling all of the asset bubbles that we are seeing in the financial markets and the recent one in the housing market. Clearly what we are lacking now is demand. Investors won't build new production facilities if they know that there is no one who can buy the products produced. The promise of supply side economics to improve the economy hasn't been realized. In fact, in the supply side era both growth and investment have declined, not gone up as was promised.

What the economy needs is more demand, a higher labor share and a lower capital share, supply. What this article says is that no one country can switch over to a demand led economy from what we have now, a supply led one. This is because of one of the ways that we switched from a demand led one thirty years ago, globalization, which is one of the many ways that we used to suppress wages.

Because of globalization the increase in demand would mainly benefit countries that are still suppressing wages, countries like China and Germany.

The relative decrease in wages that the not rich have suffered over the last thirty years has actually increased the number of people in the labor pool. We have put our wives to work to try to make up the short fall in wages. This makes things worse not better.

Zeluvia said:
He is saying that the changes have to be made globally, because raising labor share in one country will probably lead to increased employment not at home, but in another country. I don't see how unemployment is considered sustainable however, when people have to work to eat = )

SimpleDon said:
What this article says is that no one country can switch over to a demand led economy from what we have now, a supply led one. This is because of one of the ways that we switched from a demand led one thirty years ago, globalization, which is one of the many ways that we used to suppress wages.

Because of globalization the increase in demand would mainly benefit countries that are still suppressing wages, countries like China and Germany.

Yep. That's why it's b/s to say France (or any nation with the temerity to stick up for 99% of its citizens) is a test case of economic policy.

China is pushing wage increases and actively addressing inequality.

In Shenzhen, the 13 percent rise in the minimum wage to 1,808 yuan a month as of February is almost double the pace of the previous increase. According to the central government’s five-year plan from 2011-2015, minimum wages should increase by 13 percent a year. .......Minimum wages should rise until they reach at least 40 percent of average urban salaries by 2015, according to a guideline in a 35-point income-distribution plan issued by the State Council in February 2013 to tackle the country’s widening wealth gap.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-jumping-in-2014-amid-shift-to-services-.html

Yep. That's why it's b/s to say France (or any nation with the temerity to stick up for 99% of its citizens) is a test case of economic policy.

I would think that if the US made steps toward a demand led economy, at least the European social democracies would follow suit. With the exception of Germany. Even today they are quite proud of having lowered wages starting in the late 1990's and boosting their trade surplus with just about everyone else in the world.

Supply side economies are an Anglo American invention. Unfortunately most of Europe followed us into at least to some degree of Reaganomics, Thatcherism and Hatcherism. You would hope that they would follow us out of it. The IMF is slowly coming around. They are no longer preaching austerity. They have openly recommended that Japan take steps to raise their wages domestically. China has started to try to raise their wages in order to increase their domestic demand.

I would think that if the US made steps toward a demand led economy, at least the European social democracies would follow suit. With the exception of Germany. Even today they are quite proud of having lowered wages starting in the late 1990's and boosting their trade surplus with just about everyone else in the world.

Supply side economies are an Anglo American invention. Unfortunately most of Europe followed us into at least to some degree of Reaganomics, Thatcherism and Hatcherism. You would hope that they would follow us out of it. The IMF is slowly coming around. They are no longer preaching austerity. They have openly recommended that Japan take steps to raise their wages domestically. China has started to try to raise their wages in order to increase their domestic demand.
I'd hope so, but aren't optimistic. The gov'ts might want to follow suit, but the corporations wouldn't. Steps toward demand led domestic economies would have to include pretty heavy handed restrictions on outsourcing, offshoring, subcontracting etc. I doubt any forseeable US gov't is even capable of that, let alone likely to initiate it.

In the not so distant future with most of the manufacturing done in Asia and elsewhere because of the labour component of the cost, the west has to either finds ways to keep unemployment rising to catastrophic levels by smarter tech, improving productivity or peg the salaries to sustainable levels.
What does a ceo of a major Asian conglomerate make per annum? I'll bet it's nowhere near what they are paid in many Western nations.

Yeah, I was trying to help illustrate your point that CEOs of major asian conglomerates don't make nearly as much as their US counterparts.

Simple Don:
This not what the article is about. In economics the labor share, what he calls the household share, is the portion of gross domestic product, GDP, that is paid in wages to workers. The opposite of the labor share is the capital share, the portion of GDP that is paid in profits, the portion of GDP that rewards investment.
Exactly. Hijacking of all technological advances that would raise the worker's share. Take from wages (and taxes); add to profit for investors.
Also, create lots of high-profit, zero-product activities like currency speculation, most of the loot going directly off-shore, without adding to GDP.

Can't anybody here see the dichotomy? It is assumed there are two teams...the capital team and the labor team, and everybody is expected to work for their team to totally crush the other team. We are one society with two factions that work to destroy each other. They are doing so unwittingly, and both sides imagine that only their solution will work.

Everybody likes to feel there is something special about themselves. Unfortunately that specialness everybody believes they have gives them the feeling they have right to struggle with their fellow humans. We have to learn how to share. This is something nobody in a capitalist system understands anymore. When you suggest a more egalitarian model for the economy, you are immediately attacked for being a Luddite, or a person trying to turn the clock back.

With all this struggling and shuffling after symbolic wealth, we have forgotten that we are organisms that must power themselves through life with their own body and muscles and biotic potential. In today's world, everybody assumes they have the right to travel great distances, use huge amounts of natural resources and in general escape the limitations of their own biology. We consume huge amounts of fuels and our muscles get flabby. We indulge in the stock market and our ability to understand our own nature (organism) gets buried in a game that can, in my humble opinion kill us all.

Alan Watts used to say we are a society that is hung up on words. The words and symbols on money and stock certificates and land titles, and such need to recognized for what they are...symbols that deny our true relationship to our environment. I argued for a long time in the other forum about the "value" of a worker's labor. trying to make it clear that the true value is human survival and well being. The capitalists just said, "If it isn't profitable for me to pay another person for his wages, why should I hire him?" Their thinking is simply "I am a special person with the right to "employ" (use) other people for purposes not their own. Isn't that special?

Symbols and systems of symbols crumble in time and lose their meaning. What does not lose its meaning to a human being is whether he/she is eating well, has sufficient shelter and comfort. We have a choice. Are we going to be predatory to each other in some sort of Friedmanesque tragic play reenactment or are we going to adjust to the conditions the real world provides us?

Our past provides us many examples of man's inhumanity to man. If indeed man cannot learn how to share better with his own kind and the rest of nature, he has a very short, very miserable future.:thinking:

That may well be so. But you try telling someone who has worked most of his/hers life to build a home, buy certain consumable goods, raise a family etc, etc. that he has to share some of his/hers lifestyle with someone who has never done a decent days work all his life, yet expects hand outs!.

That may well be so. But you try telling someone who has worked most of his/hers life to build a home, buy certain consumable goods, raise a family etc, etc. that he has to share some of his/hers lifestyle with someone who has never done a decent days work all his life, yet expects hand outs!.

In the recent housing melt down, millions of hard working Americans gave up their homes to foreclosure. Corporate retirement programs were also raided by corporate bankruptcy. You are presenting a straw man to me and saying that nobody should have to share anything with this worthless person, this salient exemplar of everything wrong, that is largely a figment of your imagination...helped of course by Reagan's framing. You are transferring the blame for their dilemma onto them and often, they had no power to have things otherwise. You, sir need to learn how to share and also how to value those you have been taught to detest. People can be beset with economic conditions against which they have no defense. They have been taught that it is their fault they are in bad financial straights when most of the decisions that placed them into hardship were NOT THEIR DECISIONS. As the years pass, and conditions do not improve, the psyche of such people deteriorates into a kind of hopeless morass of self blaming, and futility. These ideas are hard to combat without help, without mentoring, without some sort of support.

Your hypothetical sharer, this person who has never done a decent days work all his life is your image of far too many people, your illusory characterization, largely an illusion pumped into your mind by billionaire capitalist propaganda...a chimera, a non existent entity.

Back
Top Bottom