• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hillary Campaign as a Role Reversal

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
Thinking on the Hillary vs Trump campaigns while reading other threads here, it struck me that Hillary's campaign was a reversal from the usual Democrat model for a campaign and that the Trump one implemented some of the Democrats' strengths as well.

The Democrat party is where liberals have usually gone to vote. They are usually sold on hope, change, and inclusion. That's why Obama did so well in 2008. His campaign that year was the epitome of this. Yes We Can. No Blue or Red America, only the United States of America. First black president. And on and on it went. Record numbers of liberals and progressives came out to vote for him. Hillary showed a remarkable failure to use this to her advantage. It is one big reason she didn't win the white house. Trump, rather innovatively also played into this though in a few ways. He talked about hope and about putting America first. He talked about "winning" to the point that it was almost like a joke to liberals, but it registered with conservatives and those in the middle.

The Republican party is where conservatives have usually gone to vote. They are usually sold on tradition, fear, caution, tribal unity against the other, and economy. Trump played into this well. Make America Great Again. Talk against immigration, etc. But Hillary... she played into this herself, which was a grave mistake for her. She pushed an "I'm not him" campaign. She said what she said about "deplorables". Most who voted for her didn't know her policies. They knew Trump needed to be stopped. They were not voting out of hope, like with Obama. They were voting out of fear.

I think Hillary ran at a time when it would have been more difficult to push a positive message rather than a negative one. Obama's campaign came at the end of the Bush era. Hillary came at the end of Obama, affiliated with him and off of him not delivering on all that hope and change. And she ran against Bernie, the dreamer, who consistently pushed a message of hope and change. But I still think, as the Sanders movement and his approval ratings were showing, that had she taken a positive approach rather than a negative one, she could have won the election and could have defeated Trump.

Trump was the candidate calling for radical change and Hillary was the candidate of more of the same and keeping things as they were. And I think that's a major reason why she didn't win the white house. It was firmly in her grasp, but she let him steal some of what should have been her strengths with her base (who vastly outnumber his) and she took up some of what should have been his weaknesses with them. Koy has shown in other threads that those who didn't vote favoured her over him, but they didn't vote. Her strategy failed to get them to the polls in high enough numbers, while his supporters did come vote for him.

Thinking on the Hillary vs Trump campaigns while reading other threads here, it struck me that Hillary's campaign was a reversal from the usual Democrat model for a campaign and that the Trump one implemented some of the Democrats' strengths as well.

The Democrat party is where liberals have usually gone to vote. They are usually sold on hope, change, and inclusion. That's why Obama did so well in 2008. His campaign that year was the epitome of this. Yes We Can. No Blue or Red America, only the United States of America. First black president. And on and on it went. Record numbers of liberals and progressives came out to vote for him. Hillary showed a remarkable failure to use this to her advantage. It is one big reason she didn't win the white house. Trump, rather innovatively also played into this though in a few ways. He talked about hope and about putting America first. He talked about "winning" to the point that it was almost like a joke to liberals, but it registered with conservatives and those in the middle.

The Republican party is where conservatives have usually gone to vote. They are usually sold on tradition, fear, caution, tribal unity against the other, and economy. Trump played into this well. Make America Great Again. Talk against immigration, etc. But Hillary... she played into this herself, which was a grave mistake for her. She pushed an "I'm not him" campaign. She said what she said about "deplorables". Most who voted for her didn't know her policies. They knew Trump needed to be stopped. They were not voting out of hope, like with Obama. They were voting out of fear.

I think Hillary ran at a time when it would have been more difficult to push a positive message rather than a negative one. Obama's campaign came at the end of the Bush era. Hillary came at the end of Obama, affiliated with him and off of him not delivering on all that hope and change. And she ran against Bernie, the dreamer, who consistently pushed a message of hope and change. But I still think, as the Sanders movement and his approval ratings were showing, that had she taken a positive approach rather than a negative one, she could have won the election and could have defeated Trump.

Trump was the candidate calling for radical change and Hillary was the candidate of more of the same and keeping things as they were. And I think that's a major reason why she didn't win the white house. It was firmly in her grasp, but she let him steal some of what should have been her strengths with her base (who vastly outnumber his) and she took up some of what should have been his weaknesses with them. Koy has shown in other threads that those who didn't vote favoured her over him, but they didn't vote. Her strategy failed to get them to the polls in high enough numbers, while his supporters did come vote for him.

When Trump talked about "winning" he evoked images of untold wealth in the minds of his acolytes. Now that he has revealed himself as solely interested in furthering the wealth of his donor class, that's going to be a hard meme for him to sell to the base.

When Trump talked about "winning" he evoked images of untold wealth in the minds of his acolytes. Now that he has revealed himself as solely interested in furthering the wealth of his donor class, that's going to be a hard meme for him to sell to the base.

How do you figure it'll be hard for him? Won't he just assert it's the case despite all the facts showing the opposite and they'll all believe him?

It will sell to his drones just fine. But yes, the thinking people who tilted the election to his favour will be less likely to be sold this way again. Although, if the economy continues to be seen to do well (doesn't matter if it actually does well ; perception is everything in an election) then he may be able to still push the "Strong businessman" angle that so many bought into.

Meanwhile the Democrats, after Trump's first term, may be in a position like Obama was in 2008, and have a public especially thirsty for a positive message of hope and change. They need to run an Obama and not a Hillary this time.

...if the economy continues to be seen to do well (doesn't matter if it actually does well ; perception is everything in an election) then he may be able to still push the "Strong businessman" angle that so many bought into.

The perception of a booming economy is going to be very difficult to maintain in the face of a very visibly faltering stock market (which may very well reflect a recession by the time the election rolls around). The realities on the ground for most of his followers will also argue against the notion of a thriving economy - rising interest rates, rising prices, relatively flat wages etc.. It will be a herculean task for many of them to ignore those realities. If Trump keeps telling them they're doing well, it will ring quite hollow as they see billionaires becoming multi-billionaires while their own savings don't grow, or actually diminish.
Trump is admittedly adept at sleight-if-hand, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - especially when the truth is smacking them in the face. I think he will have to keep beating the nazi/racist drum and hope he can turn out every last corrupt soul in the country to vote for him. He has little else going for him.

As much as I bash the USA (its required to maintain Canadian citizenship), I actually think I have a more positive image of its people than many Democrats do. Trump didn't win the election by merely getting all of the most horrible people in society to vote for him. There aren't enough of them to pull that off. He got many decent people to vote for him as well, and losing them is how he will lose the next election. A message of hope and change can win them over, as Obama did.

It is important to remember that Trump actually is incredibly vulnerable electorally. His win was a fluke that probably came down to 50 thousand or so votes in the Rust Belt. If that margin flips, he's toast.

He has also made a lot of enemies. Which is not smart.

Back
Top Bottom