• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hillary Clinton's opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership

ksen

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinist
I thought just crossed my mind today (inb4 some variant of a dad joke!).

Do you think Hillary is being openly against the TPP even though she considered it the gold standard of trade deals not too long ago because she knows that between the time of the election and the inauguration it will get passed by a lame duck congress and signed by a lame duck president?

Knowing it is going to happen before she becomes president frees her up to be as vocally against it as she needs to be in order to keep Progressives in line.

I think the Republicans in Congress would, unwittingly?, go along with this because they want the TPP but knows their base hates it so they pass it and let Obama sign it and from then on it becomes Obama's trade deal when things inevitably go further south because of it.

Weird to hear her oppose it so strongly while Obama is still pushing it. It will be interesting to see how much she puts into the opposition if it comes up for a vote. She recently called on Congress to pass Zika legislation. Will she be saying anything like that as prominently then? This is tricky.

Political opinion is shifting away from TPP, for a variety of reasons, on both sides of the isle (plus Trump's mountain), and Clinton's always been a bit of a political weather vane. I suspect she'll go with the flow.

Here's Hillary's first story:

"So it's fair to say that our economies are entwined, and we need to keep upping our game both bilaterally and with partners across the region through agreements like the Trans-Pacific Partnership or TPP. Australia is a critical partner. This TPP sets the gold standard in trade agreements to open free, transparent, fair trade, the kind of environment that has the rule of law and a level playing field. And when negotiated, this agreement will cover 40 percent of the world's total trade and build in strong protections for workers and the environment."

Here's her story when running for president:

I do look at what's happening in the world. Take the trade deal. I did say, when I was secretary of state, three years ago, that I hoped it would be the gold standard. It was just finally negotiated last week, and in looking at it, it didn't meet my standards.

I see a shift and a confident lie to dodge it.

"I did not have relations with that woman."

Back
Top Bottom