• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

His Majesty at the University of Michigan

Trausti

Deleted
a new policy at the University of Michigan allows students to choose their preferred pronouns— including the gender-neutral “they” and “ze” — to appear on class rosters.With that in mind, one conservative student, Grant Strobl, who is also chairman of the Young Americans for Freedom board of governors, decided to troll the university administration by officially requesting his pronoun to be changed to “His Majesty.”

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/u-of-michigan-student-successfully-changes-his-preferred-pronoun-to-his-majesty-on-class-roster/

Well, why not? When the pendulum has swung so far to loony territory that life is beyond parody, these little acts of rebellion might just swing it back to sanity.

I realize gender neutrality is very new and different, but I don't think it is actually looney. Why is anyone so OBSESSED with having gender-confirmation of every word and act? I kinda like the Ze/Zer/Zey thing. "pronoun" is really the only thing I actually need to know in most cases of conversation. It doesn't actually matter in any useful way which gender the subject is. Why do we obsess over it other than to judge, promote and demote worth?

All this policy is doing is letting students notify their professors by having their preferred pronoun listed on the course roster. I have a student in my course this semester who emailed me about their preferred pronoun. Complying with that is easy for me because I'm not an asshole. Apparently though, some people can have trouble not being assholes...

Well, why not? When the pendulum has swung so far to loony territory that life is beyond parody, these little acts of rebellion might just swing it back to sanity.

I am routinely asked on various forms if I prefer Miss, Ms, or Mrs so why is this suddenly "loony territory"?

I agree with Rhea, though, that the easiest would be to simply use Ze/Zer/Zey for everything

Of course, the flaw in the student's troll is that titles such as "His Majesty" or Doctor or Professor are not the same as Mr/Mrs/Ze etc which denote gender and/or marital status

(note to readers, I don't know if Ze/Zer/Zey is actually what is proposed, just whatever it is, I'd be fine using it and would even prefer it for many things. Like job applications!)

Well, that's good. The President of the Young Americans for Freedom took the lead by showing everyone that they can be free to use whatever pronoun they like. By the sounds of his title, the guy pretty much had one job to do and he seems to have done it admirably. Now he can spend the next few years crowing to everybody about how he stood up for freedom without having to inconvenience himself by actually doing anything.

The spirits of all the brave American soldiers who gave their lives fighting against oppression and tyranny can now roll over in their graves in shame that they weren't able to measure up to this dude.

Back
Top Bottom