• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Historian: it's getting harder to deny Trump-Hitler comparison

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
https://www.salon.com/2018/08/06/hi...adolf-hitler-my-resistance-is-being-overcome/

Donald Trump is waging a literal crusade against the American people and American democracy. But in these two years there have been few large national protests, economic strikes or other types of nationwide civil disobedience. It is all very disheartening. Are people just numb and tired? Have they surrendered?

He's not just comparing Trump to Hitler. He's also comparing Republicans to Nazis and Democrats to the Germans who stood aside and did nothing while the Nazis plunged their nation into madness.

This is the system you get when politicians are bought, not selected by the people.

The cure is more democracy.

Democracy and more democracy.

Power to the general consensus.

Not the consensus of economic elites.

https://www.salon.com/2018/08/06/hi...adolf-hitler-my-resistance-is-being-overcome/

Donald Trump is waging a literal crusade against the American people and American democracy. But in these two years there have been few large national protests, economic strikes or other types of nationwide civil disobedience. It is all very disheartening. Are people just numb and tired? Have they surrendered?

He's not just comparing Trump to Hitler. He's also comparing Republicans to Nazis and Democrats to the Germans who stood aside and did nothing while the Nazis plunged their nation into madness.
Except Hitler wanted power, Trump didn't. Trump is Mussolini. Putin is closer to Hitler. Putin is Trump's Hitler.

I'm not convinced that Trump wanted to win the election.

He wanted to win so he could get revenge on Obama...if it wasn't for Obama roasting trumpo at a Correspondent's dinner, he wouldn't have run.

I don't think he or his foul family and cohorts expected to win, but they were being helped by Russia and gop gerrymandering.

Except Hitler wanted power, Trump didn't.

Just. Plain. Wrong.

Trumpo wanted total power....
I don't think so. I really think his ideal situation would have been to lose.
Then no one would notice or care how much he spent on vacations, no one would demand he take any actions in a crisis, no one would go thru his campaign finances with an electron microscope.
He'd still be able to raise funds for 2020, he could continue to criticize Hillary, saying HE'D have solved X, Y, or Z by now.

But as he did win, i think he honestly helieves he's supposed to have total power in his job. Just like if he was CEO, everyone in the govt. Is supposed to work for him and his interests...

Except Hitler wanted power, Trump didn't. Trump is Mussolini. Putin is closer to Hitler. Putin is Trump's Hitler.

Oh. Well if he didn't want to get elected, that means he is nothing like Hitler and Republicans are nothing like Nazis.

Whew!

We really dodged a bullet there!

Oh. Well if he didn't want to get elected, that means he is nothing like Hitler and Republicans are nothing like Nazis.

Whew!

We really dodged a bullet there!
Naw... he is still like Mussolini... who pal'd with Hitler... like Trump pals with Putin.

Except Hitler wanted power, Trump didn't.

Just. Plain. Wrong.

Trumpo wanted total power....
I don't think so. I really think his ideal situation would have been to lose.
Then no one would notice or care how much he spent on vacations, no one would demand he take any actions in a crisis, no one would go thru his campaign finances with an electron microscope.
He'd still be able to raise funds for 2020, he could continue to criticize Hillary, saying HE'D have solved X, Y, or Z by now.

But as he did win, i think he honestly helieves he's supposed to have total power in his job. Just like if he was CEO, everyone in the govt. Is supposed to work for him and his interests...

Yep. All of this^.

Trump already had Trump TV ready to roll. He was set to become the next great conservative demagogue. He probably would've done a show once a week about 25-30 times a year, and that would've been it. The DOJ would've likely swept all this shit under the rug and got on with preventing future Russian bullshit. Hillary would've probably let all his illegal shit go too so that she wouldn't be perceived as taking revenge on political opponents.

Then the fatheaded orange baby could've run his mouth to his heart's content, beloved by conservatives/Hillary haters until he passed away, all with the absolute knowledge that he would have been a great POTUS.

Not only did Trump disregard the potential conflicts of his own business deals and real-estate holdings, he audaciously refused to release his tax returns. Why should he? Once he lost, Trump would be both insanely famous and a martyr to Crooked Hillary. His daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared would be international celebrities. Steve Bannon would become the de facto head of the tea-party movement. Kellyanne Conway would be a cable-news star. Melania Trump, who had been assured by her husband that he wouldn’t become president, could return to inconspicuously lunching. Losing would work out for everybody. Losing was winning.

Shortly after 8 p.m. on Election Night, when the unexpected trend — Trump might actually win — seemed confirmed, Don Jr. told a friend that his father, or DJT, as he calls him, looked as if he had seen a ghost. Melania was in tears — and not of joy.

There was, in the space of little more than an hour, in Steve Bannon’s not unamused observation, a befuddled Trump morphing into a disbelieving Trump and then into a horrified Trump. But still to come was the final transformation: Suddenly, Donald Trump became a man who believed that he deserved to be, and was wholly capable of being, the president of the United States.

From "Fire and Fury" by Michael Wolff.

Back
Top Bottom