• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Historical Jesus

You give two consecutive, snide reps to someone who is trying to have a conversation.
Plus you have three times refused to answer where Flavius got his information.
Have a nice life. Bye

Wah wah wah, no evidence just whining
It is interpolation, I gave the reason
That means josephus didn't have a reason because he didn't write it
Romans didn't make street preachers divine and the existence of interpolation is his works is sufficient to dismiss the entry
You belive he wrote it.. is up to you to prove that and getting emotional about it idoesn't help
If you want to converse about it check your emotion and do so

A historical fact claim is that people thought they saw a man named Jesus heal a leper.

You CAN accept that a real physical person named Jesus really did 'something' which caused real people the really believe that a miracle cure had happened - and yet still you can have an alternative explanation which in no way denies the historicity of the reported event.

The historicity of what reported events?...

If I tell a news reporter that I just saw a leper get cured, the news story (properly reported)
would merely be;

"MAN CLAIMS TO HAVE SEEN LEPER CURED"

not....
"MAN DISCOVERS CURE FOR LEPROSY"
not
"MIRACLE LEPROSY CURE WITNESSED BY MAN"

The only thing secular historians can take away from the Gospel account of such an event is that people at a given point in time saw something which they believed/claimed was a leper was cured. That is the historical event. People saw something.

Jesus Mythers would have us believe that nobody saw anything done by Jesus because there never was such a person. The Jesus Myther is effectively looking at the newspaper headline and accusing the reporter of lying as well as the supposed witness being interviewed by the reporter.

And the basis for their disbelief is NOT methodological skepticism or naturalism and the impossibility of miracles - but rather they say Jesus never existed.

If I tell a news reporter that I just saw a leper get cured, the news story (properly reported) would merely be;
not....
or

The only thing secular historians can take away from the Gospel account of such an event is that people at a given point in time saw something which they believed/claimed was a leper was cured. That is the historical event. People saw something.

Jesus Mythers would have us believe that nobody saw anything done by Jesus because there never was such a person. The Jesus Myther is effectively looking at the newspaper headline and accusing the reporter of lying as well as the supposed witness being interviewed by the reporter. And the basis for their disbelief is NOT methodological skepticism or naturalism and the impossibility of miracles - but rather they say Jesus never existed.
Despite your reluctance to agree with the position that Jesus is myth you haven't provided any evidence that is not a myth
I don't care about appeals to authority
Thesolonians was the first mention of Jesus not the later gospels, they evolved from earlier religious propaganda, namely the works attributed to Paul /Saul a person who is not proven to exist outside of Christian lore

Last edited:
One of the most astonishing things about Jesus Mythers is their self-proclaimed knowledge about the true origin of the Gospel manuscripts - documents about which other atheists/skeptics say we cannot know their origin.

Authors weren't named Mark or Luke or Matthew. Authors never had first hand testimony. Authors weren't independent. Authors never lived in the vicinity. Authors waited 50 years to write their first version of events. Authors were motivated by greed. Authors were Roman spies writing forgeries as a pretext for Rome to invade Jerusalem...

So apparently it's OK for bible skeptics to fabricate conspiracy theories and guess and fill in the blanks but when religious folks make counter-claims about the likely identity of Gospel writers they are rejected out of hand.

Where do bible skeptics get their 'facts' about the Gospel authors? If Jesus Mythers admit we don't know the author's true identity, how can one be certain those authors weren't actual witnesses truthfully reporting events they believed to be true?
...and doing so at the risk of torture and death. (Plus lying is against the Ten Commandments)

One of the most astonishing things about Jesus Mythers is their self-proclaimed knowledge about the true origin of the Gospel manuscripts - documents about which other atheists/skeptics say we cannot know their origin.

Authors weren't named Mark or Luke or Matthew. Authors never had first hand testimony. Authors weren't independent. Authors never lived in the vicinity. Authors waited 50 years to write their first version of events. Authors were motivated by greed. Authors were Roman spies writing forgeries as a pretext for Rome to invade Jerusalem...

So apparently it's OK for bible skeptics to fabricate conspiracy theories and guess and fill in the blanks but when religious folks make counter-claims about the likely identity of Gospel writers they are rejected out of hand.

Where do bible skeptics get their 'facts' about the Gospel authors? If Jesus Mythers admit we don't know the author's true identity, how can one be certain those authors weren't actual witnesses truthfully reporting events they believed to be true?
...and doing so at the risk of torture and death. (Plus lying is against the Ten Commandments)
Yeah it is myth and your complainimg didn't change that, that is why I'm asking for evidence
I say the Romans killed them because they didn't like being falsely accused of murder

The myth of eden, global food, exodus, and Jesus is not being proved as actually happening by your complaining

From the entirely factual source of information called Wikipedia...

Historicity of Jesus

"The historicity of Jesus concerns the degree to which Jesus of Nazareth, born c. 7–2 BC, existed as a historical figure.

There is "near universal consensus" among biblical scholars that Jesus existed historically, although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels. While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness, with very few exceptions, such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus, and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed."

/thread

Negative Rep points versus debate.

Gee, my rep points dropped a lot today.
Must have hit a raw nerve. Sorry about that.

From the entirely factual source of information called Wikipedia...

Historicity of Jesus

"The historicity of Jesus concerns the degree to which Jesus of Nazareth, born c. 7–2 BC, existed as a historical figure.

There is "near universal consensus" among biblical scholars that Jesus existed historically, although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels. While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness, with very few exceptions, such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus, and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed."

/thread
Biblical scholars have no evidence
I don't't care of you are the pope
This is just an appeal to authority
There is no there there
And I asked for evidence not propaganda

- - - Updated - - -

Gee, my rep points dropped a lot today.
Must have hit a raw nerve. Sorry about that.

What else do you expect when your argument is complaining and appeal to authority?
No wonder Christians were killed

If I tell a news reporter that I just saw a leper get cured, the news story (properly reported)
would merely be;

not....
not

Or somebody made it up. The history of our species has many examples of people making up stories of people or animals performing supernatural acts, and it continues to happen to this day. The next time you are in your local supermarket check out the stories "reported" in the tabloids: "Michael Jackson abducted by aliens", "Angelina Jolie gives birth to alien baby". People make up shit ALL THE TIME, no eyewitnesses needed.

Jesus Mythers would have us believe that nobody saw anything done by Jesus because there never was such a person. The Jesus Myther is effectively looking at the newspaper headline and accusing the reporter of lying as well as the supposed witness being interviewed by the reporter.

Who are the reporters in the case of the Jesus mythology and who did they interview? What are their credentials? And why did no historian of the time see fit to record these miracle stories that were supposedly witnessed by many people? If you wish to support the case that the Jesus mythology is based on actual eyewitness accounts you need to start naming some names.

And the basis for their disbelief is NOT methodological skepticism or naturalism and the impossibility of miracles - but rather they say Jesus never existed.

Now you are making up shit. Several people in this thread have stated that the Jesus myths may actually have a kernel of truth at their core, myself included. The Bible stories may have been based on an actual charismatic preacher who had a following in the local populace. It is possible that this individual pissed off the local authorities, perhaps he shagged the priest's son or daughter, and then got disappeared. It is possible. But this does nothing to support the case of the theist who claims Jesus performed supernatural acts, which is the basis for Christianity. You need to build a case based on facts and evidence, not speculate about what people may or may not have seen.

But if it's from an anonymous account that's not recorded by eyewitnesses, they can't even accept that. History would record that 'someone SAID that people saw something happen.'

But history also records that about the magical works of pharaohs and kings and wizards and demi-gods and centaurs...

Biblical scholars wouldn't have a job if they said the gospel protagonist wasn't real. He's a character in a story, a religious story that was written down. All that is real enough. So let them keep a couple toes crossed while they collect their pay.

Personally, people who fly around in the sky like Superman will never be real. Doesn't mean you can't make a lot of money arguing otherwise, however.

It's possible that the 'historical' Jesus of Galilee was actually Judas the Galilean, who was spoken of rather extensively by Josephus. See the discussion at http://secularcafe.org/showthread.php?t=26878.

Or it's possible that there was no historical Jesus Christ, a position vastly and ably defended by Kenneth Humphreys at http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/.

Mythicism is a minority view among historians, yes. But the ones who specialize in Biblical history all plainly have a dog in this fight, and aren't very likely to admit that the central character of their faith is no more real than Charlie Brown.

It's possible that the 'historical' Jesus of Galilee was actually Judas the Galilean, who was spoken of rather extensively by Josephus. See the discussion at http://secularcafe.org/showthread.php?t=26878.

Or it's possible that there was no historical Jesus Christ, a position vastly and ably defended by Kenneth Humphreys at http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/.

Mythicism is a minority view among historians, yes. But the ones who specialize in Biblical history all plainly have a dog in this fight, and aren't very likely to admit that the central character of their faith is no more real than Charlie Brown.
It just all comes down to what one means by "historical." I've seen some good discussions about what is historical and what isn't wrt the gospel protagonist. The historical Jesus used to be a god. Now that's changed to a simple preacher who got whacked, or a hundred different versions thereof, or a story about a legitimate historical figure, just not the gospel jesus, and on and on and on. I think jesus is as "historical" as bigfoot and Paul Bunyan.

In the end every word from every author or speaker is inspired by some actual event in his or her life. You can't even pretend without having some experience to start with. For some people that makes jesus historical.

It just all comes down to what one means by "historical." I've seen some good discussions about what is historical and what isn't wrt the gospel protagonist. The historical Jesus used to be a god. Now that's changed to a simple preacher who got whacked, or a hundred different versions thereof, or a story about a legitimate historical figure, just not the gospel jesus, and on and on and on. I think jesus is as "historical" as bigfoot and Paul Bunyan.

In the end every word from every author or speaker is inspired by some actual event in his or her life. You can't even pretend without having some experience to start with. For some people that makes jesus historical.

That's a good point. Without a common definition of what everybody means when they say "historical", the conversation goes past each other.

If someone's writing a story about Winston Churchill, they can have a whole range going from a biographical account which holds as closely as possible to factual information to a fictional account where the character and his adventures are made up, but the central premise is the author's imagining of what this real person would do in this imaginary scenario. Both of those would be based on a historical character, even though one is factual and one is fictional.

Contrast that with something like Downton Abbey, where the environment is based on a real environment, the characters are based on what people from that era were like and the events which happen in the story are often the characters dealing with real historical events. While this type of story telling may give a more accurate account of what a given historical period was like than a story about Winston Churchill dealing with a Martian invasion, the characters themselves would still be entirely mythical as opposed to historical, even though attributes from actual historical figures may have been used as a basis to build their characters.

It does sound like some people are making an HJ argument along the lines of saying that the Earl of Chatham on the TV show kind of a historical character because there actually were Earls running large estates in England during the early 1900s that served as the initial basis of his character.

It's important to recall that the church wedded itself to a historical Jesus early on.

In the struggle with the Gnostics, what became the mainstream church claimed its bishops or ministers could be traced back to Jesus' earthly charge to Peter.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

So you're not saved unless a Licensed Authorized Representative of Jesus Himself Man and God says so.

Otherwise known as Apostolic Succession, the spirit of which if not the letter survived the Reformation.

Do away with HJ and you have Gnositicism, more or less.

No, and if you'd actually listen to what people say and respond to that rather than post what you think you heard you'd know that.

You posted in image of the Vatican as an example of why people in 1st Century Palestine were supposedlywilling to lie about God and risk torture/death. How on earth could they anticipate that in their own lifetime?

...The same inventors of Christianity who wouldn't have known about the Vatican are the same ones who wouldn't have known that ~50 years hence some of their followers would be persecuted in Rome.

The text clearly shows that Jesus' followers were persecuted right from the beginning. There was no 50 year gap.
I assume you have read the text? I assume we both have the same set of evidence?

...Your argument implies that if some folks didn't benefit then nobody benefited. It's a really poor argument.

No. My argument is that people who didn't benefit had nothing to gain from deliberately asserting things they (supposedly) knew were false. And it is those people whose evidence is being challenged - not your late-comers or folks who reside in the Vatican.

First of all, you started this by posting an artist's conception of a possibly fictitious persecution of Christians in Rome being burned alive in a Colosseum. We are well aware that there were brief periods of persecution against Christians that can be corroborated from the historical record, but perhaps you are not aware that all of these periods added together amount to approximately 10 years out of the first 300 years the religion existed.

The depiction you referenced would have been at the very least a reference to the first Roman persecution which was circa 65 CE, fully 30+ years removed from the period in which the people who originated this cult would have been doing so. Is it your argument that these people knew that some of their followers would be burned alive?

Even so, whoever originated these myths would have had plenty of examples to look back on of success stories when it comes to the profitability of inventing a religion. Roman temples, Greek temples, Jewish synagogues, mystery religions, etc., had been populated for centuries with fat cats sitting back and enjoying the fruits of the labors of their flocks of believers, bringing their sacrifices and essentially giving them to priests. Christianity was no different, requiring that people give money to a collection that the purveyors of this institution could use as they saw fit.

We know with our hindsight that not only was it profitable, it became extremely profitable. Christianity was a megahit and it brought home the bacon as no other religion had managed to do, ever. Other religions sometimes collided with it, as is to be expected, but Christianity managed to gain official support from Constantine in the 4th century and pretty much that was it for the competition. The rest, as they say, really is history.

...Your argument implies that if some folks didn't benefit then nobody benefited. It's a really poor argument.

No. My argument is that people who didn't benefit had nothing to gain from deliberately asserting things they (supposedly) knew were false. And it is those people whose evidence is being challenged - not your late-comers or folks who reside in the Vatican.

Sorry to double-dip, but I wanted to point out what I failed to mention in my previous post. This, too, is an extremely poor argument. We have boatloads of evidence of people asserting things that they probably know are false who have little or no obvious thing to gain from it. We have absolutely zero evidence to corroborate the extraordinary claims made in the Jesus myth. Zero.

There is zero evidence that thousands of followers witnessed him feeding them with only morsels of food even though such an event should have left indelible marks in the historical record and according to GMark it happened twice.

There is zero evidence that he impressed rulers such as Herod, Jewish religious leaders, whoever the anonymous "rich young ruler" was, etc., even though several contemporary historians wrote about much more mundane things in the very areas in question. According to GMark chapter 5 he supposedly raised the daughter of the ruler of the synagogue (Jairus) who had come to him from a considerable distance, evidently hearing of his fame and willing to take the risk of not being with his daughter in her final moments just on the chance that Jesus could heal her before she died. On their way back to his house some of the ruler's "people" met them to tell him his daughter had already died so why is he still troubling "the master?" Just an observation, seems a bit caustic. So Jesus continues, gets to the house, gets laughed at when he tells the crowd she's asleep, not dead. And then of course there's the raising of the dead girl.

The Jairus' daughter incident makes for great literary plot device. It includes all the best dramatic effects including a hero who is being ridiculed by everyone near the climax of the story and the obligatory bitch-slapping delivered to all the nay-sayers. But it just doesn't jive with the historical record in any sense of the word. If this man had made anywhere near the impact implied by this story (and the accompanying interwoven tale of the massive throngs pressing him during the entire journey) he would have left some mark on the contemporary historical record. But if these adventures had been fabricated over decades safely removed hundreds of miles away (Rome is approximately 1500 miles away from Jerusalem) the distance and time involved would have protected the storytellers from any gainsay. They didn't have to prove anything; they just had to sound convincing. That's how religion works.

We don't have to know why every story was made up to recognize a story when we hear it. It is obvious to anyone who is truly willing to be objective that the Jesus myth is a collection of fabrications about a character who may or may not have existed. I understand why it is so difficult if you want to believe these stories to be objective. Trust me, I used to be a true believer and know exactly how that feels.

At the every least the character was obscure and never made anywhere near the splash indicated by these myths. And recognizing that miracle stories are a dime a dozen -- scratch that, they're a farthing for a freighter -- we need better evidence than the anonymous tales of people two generations and hundreds of miles removed from the scene to give them anything more than a thumbs up for great writing.

Schrodinger's Outlaw

Got your PM.
No thanks.
I try having a discussion and all I get is a stream of consecutive down-rep votes.
That strikes me as vindictive and spiteful. *shrug*
Also it's NOT a logical fallacy to use the same historical evidence as the MAJORITY
of bible scholars. It's not my fault they too think there is evidence for a Historical Jesus.

But yeah...I give up.

Back
Top Bottom