• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How are Very High Energy Gamma Rays (VHEGR) made?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
I was reading about gamma ray bursts and it is a cool topic, and then read something about VHEGRs and none of the sources explains how something so energetic can be made. 16 TeV is the most powerful seen (or rather inferred via the particle shower) yet. That is way beyond the 80 GeV for W-Bosons or 126 GeV for the Higgs particle.

I assume that many are made in accretion disks, but what I am asking is how can the energies be so high?

This may be a silly question, but can you have a relativistic mass-bearing particle barreling down a jet and turn into gamma rays (and something else)?

16TeV is a lot for a single photon, but it's only 2.5 microjoules - so not a lot of energy as a proportion of the output of a quasar or GRB, even over an arbitrarily short time. With enough energy sloshing around, it's not inconceivable that some very massive particles indeed might be formed and then decay to produce such energetic gammas. After all, we can make Higgs Bosons in a pissy little collider only a few tens of km across.

Making particles of the order of 10,000 proton masses is presumably quite difficult; but there is a LOT of energy out there.

Last edited:
I think that it must be relativistic mass that is required to make such energetic photons. Maybe a particle in an accretion jet hitting a particle that is just in the way...

I have ssen all of those videos. They are cool.

I am looking for the specific mechanism to make VHEGRs.

I thought the current theory was that the collision of two supermassive black holes was the source.
Basically, when galaxies collide.. like our Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxies are destined to.

I mean what are the particle-particle interactions happening. Are the particles in natural accelerators?

accretion disks obviously can't generate 16 Tev photons.
But magnetars (type of neutron star) can it seems.

Back
Top Bottom