• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How Do You Feel about Tipping?

I stand corrected on California Law regarding wages and tips. Thanks team.

I think it's important to remember that tipping is optional. It's a way of showing appreciation for good service, but it's not something that you're obligated to do. If you feel like the service was good, then by all means, leave a tip. But if you don't, that's okay too. I've always perceived tipping as discretionary, and if anyone takes issue with my choice not to tip, I believe their discontent is misdirected. It would be more constructive to address the issue with their employer, who has placed them in a position of dependency on customers for their livelihood.
But they have made it NOT optional anymore. Just having to wade through their credit card BS to pay the bill before the kitchen even knows what you want to eat is my time being wasted. Time = $money and choosing "none" for tip means they have wasted my time and money to pay the bill. Not just the tipping screen "wasting your time either", they have charity "time wasting" screens exercise too. Let me pay the bill without all the advertisements so I can finally will get my food and go on with my day already.

Last edited:
The government's role (both state and federal) on tipping is also very relevant to the OP IMO.

According to the IRS you can gift someone $17000 tax free on the federal level. Yet for some reason, if you tip someone 20% after a good meal that money is considered wages (even though its really a gift). And this government scam becomes very relevant to servers because tax free gifts (tips) are more valuable than regular wages with withholding. So much so the IRS has to "assume" there is a certain level of tipping. But in the better world, NONE of that money should be taxable because its all a voluntary gift coming from a stranger. A tip is nothing more than charity and should be treated that way by the IRS.

I've often wondered if it would be legal to not leave a tip on the table, but then walk out and then back in to gift the same person tax free?
The IRS are hypocrites claiming that gifts from wealthy donors are tax free but tips coming from the middle class aren't. And then we wonder why there is such a large wealth disparity in the US. Maybe it has something to do with tax code and laws both political parties have set up for the rest of us?

Last edited:
The government's role (both state and federal) on tipping is also very relevant to the OP IMO.

According to the IRS you can gift someone $17000 tax free on the federal level. Yet for some reason, if you tip someone 20% after a good meal that money is considered wages (even though its really a gift). And this government scam becomes very relevant to servers because tax free gifts (tips) are more valuable than regular wages with withholding. So much so the IRS has to "assume" there is a certain level of tipping. But in the better world, NONE of that money should be taxable because its all a voluntary gift coming from a stranger. A tip is nothing more than charity and should be treated that way by the IRS.

I've often wondered if it would be legal to not leave a tip on the table, but then walk out and then back in to gift the same person tax free?
The IRS are hypocrites claiming that gifts from wealthy donors are tax free but tips coming from the middle class aren't. And then we wonder why there is such a large wealth disparity in the US. Maybe it has something to do with tax code and laws both political parties have set up for the rest of us?
Gifts are restricted to things where there is no good or service in return. Coming back and making a gift I believe would be considered structuring and an even worse offense.

Gifts are restricted to things where there is no good or service in return. Coming back and making a gift I believe would be considered structuring and an even worse offense.

Well that's a misconception on the governments part. I don't tip solely based on the services rendered, as the restaurant has already been compensated for that. Instead, I choose to tip as a gesture of appreciation towards the individual themselves, acknowledging their unique qualities and expressing my desire to offer them a gift.

Anyhow, I suppose to stop giving the government money for Tips we can just buy people a gift at Walmart and give them the receipt. Then say, "the next time you go in to shop just return this for cash". ;)

Back
Top Bottom