• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How is morality expressed?

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
These days I'd say it is how we spend our money.

A billi0n dollar sports venues vs new schools.
Pet food versus food banks.

And so on.

If you think you are moral how does it manifest?

I started a version on religion.

For the average person their morality is mostly expressed in how they treat their family and friends and people in general.

Are they honest and helpful? Do they care about the feelings of others? Do they have empathy and generosity?

If one is able to rise above the rat race and possess a lot of money then how that money is spent could also be an expression of morality.

But without money people can show their morality in the policies they promote.

I have difficulty reconciling what you just wrote. All the terms you use depend on perspective, orientation, point of view. Nothing fixed anchors what/how one chooses. How can it be other than a 'personal' morality? Certainly if I'm you long lost brother I wouldn't be able to interpret your actions relative to me in terms of something motivating to 'good' or whatever.

I think morality is expressed by doing something good for ourselves and others. Helping those in need of help. Feeding the hungry. Housing the homeless. Encouraging people who are feeling down. Giving medical attention to those who are ill. We could generalize this as expressing love for ourselves and others, where love is a genuine concern for a person's welfare.

I have difficulty reconciling what you just wrote. All the terms you use depend on perspective, orientation, point of view. Nothing fixed anchors what/how one chooses. How can it be other than a 'personal' morality? Certainly if I'm you long lost brother I wouldn't be able to interpret your actions relative to me in terms of something motivating to 'good' or whatever.

There are certain objective facts about well-being that can help guide moral behavior. I think everyone would agree that it is morally good to give a glass of water to someone who is dying of thirst in the desert. And it would be morally bad to give the same glass of water to someone drowning in the swimming pool.

Back
Top Bottom