• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How long did Egyptian paganism survive?

In 1870 that living core of Norse Paganism died with the last Norse Pagan shaman. And we can never get it back. It's like the death of the last of a particular species of animal or plant.
I'm guessing, and it's a guess, that christians tell us that the last shaman died, and that was the end of it. If that is the case then is that credible?

So I did my best to research this. I think my school teachers made life easy for themselves. It's hard to link since I found only snippets of information here and there on all Baltic religions. But it was a slow evolution, and none of the Balitic countries fully christianized. They were pagan in parallel with Christian right up until the Soviet take-over. Around 1920'es there was a neo-pagan revival. These groups survived Soviet occupation. Anyhoo, they Christianized less than Swedes which means that it survived.

So I'm going to change my mind. Paganism is alive and well in the Baltic states and never died. My school teachers were correct in that Paganism before and after the revival were very different religions. But that's just to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom