• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How To Know You’re In a Mass Hysteria Bubble

Will Wiley

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
naturalist

History is full of examples of Mass Hysterias. They happen fairly often. The cool thing about mass hysterias is that you don’t know when you are in one. But sometimes the people who are not experiencing the mass hysteria can recognize when others are experiencing one, if they know what to look for.

The most visible Mass Hysteria of the moment involves the idea that the United States intentionally elected a racist President. If that statement just triggered you, it might mean you are in the Mass Hysteria bubble. The cool part is that you can’t fact-check my claim you are hallucinating if you are actually hallucinating. But you can read my description of the signs of mass hysteria and see if you check off the boxes.

If you already believed President Trump is a racist, his weak statement about Charlottesville seems like confirmation. But if you believe he never offered moral leadership, only equal treatment under the law, that’s what you saw instead. And you made up your own mind about the morality.

The tricky part here is that any interpretation of what happened could be confirmation bias. But ask yourself which one of these versions sounds less crazy:

1. A sitting president, who is a branding expert, thought it would be a good idea to go easy on murderous Nazis as a way to improve his popularity.

or…

2. The country elected a racist leader who is winking to the KKK and White Supremacists that they have a free pass to start a race war now.

or…

3. A mentally unstable racist clown with conman skills (mostly just lying) eviscerated the Republican primary field and won the presidency. He keeps doing crazy, impulsive racist stuff. But for some reason, the economy is going well, jobs are looking good, North Korea blinked, ISIS is on the ropes, and the Supreme Court got a qualified judge. It was mostly luck.

or…

4. The guy who didn’t offer to be your moral leader didn’t offer any moral leadership, just law and order, applied equally. His critics cleverly and predictably framed it as being soft on Nazis.

One of those narratives is less crazy-sounding than the others. That doesn’t mean the less-crazy one has to be true. But normal stuff happens far more often than crazy stuff. And critics will frame normal stuff as crazy whenever they get a chance.

Or you're using too much caffeine and nicotine.

Or maybe the sitting president isn't very bright.

Or maybe you need a life, with a job that keeps you busy.

Or maybe you're getting old and senile.

Or maybe you're religious to a fault.

Or maybe you're racist.

Or maybe you lack sufficient intellect.

Or maybe something else.

NOTE: Not You personally, just speaking collectively.

One of those narratives is less crazy-sounding than the others.
What, you never watch monster movies? Conspiracy movies? Serial killer movies? I married an axe-murderer movies?
The person who uses 'crazy sounding' as the criteria for evaluating actual evidence, or for dismissing evidence without critical analysis, is the person who always gets their face eaten.

How did Donald Trump get involved in politics to begin with?

Oh yeah, he was the head cheerleader of a 5 year racist campaign to evict the first half-black sitting president, under the presumption that he wasn't born in America.

How could any of us possibly mistake him for a racist?

Don't think birtherism is racist? Here is a prominant Republican giving his opinion : http://observer.com/2016/09/colin-powell-is-right-birtherism-is-racism/

A mentally unstable racist clown with conman skills (mostly just lying) eviscerated the Republican primary field and won the presidency. He keeps doing crazy, impulsive racist stuff. But for some reason, the economy is going well, jobs are looking good, North Korea blinked, ISIS is on the ropes, and the Supreme Court got a qualified judge. It was mostly luck.

If the economy is doing well it is in spite of Trump's non-leadership.

If jobs are actually doing well it has nothing to do with anything Trump has done.

Trump looked like a dangerous madman over Korea. That nothing serious happened has nothing to do with Trump.

The Senate changed the rules to push through Trump's pick. If it were left to Trump there would be no SC Justice sitting there.

The man has done nothing.

He is a worthless piece of demented lying scum.

This is some facinating stuff, thanks for sharing Wiley.

I found another related article here:
http://listverse.com/2009/03/16/top-10-bizarre-cases-of-mass-hysteria/

There has even been a penis panic believe it or not. Where all the men in the population actually believed their genitals were shrinking! IMO, the human brain a very complex organ and certainly very poorly understood.

Trump is a greedy narcissist, not a racist. If blacks were profitable for Trump and his father they would not have discriminated. Same story with narcissism, Trump would let anybody to kiss his ass, be it left, right, nazi, commies, does not really matter as long as they satisfy his desire to feel important/smart/etc, no fatties though :) His prefrontal cortex stuck at the age of 5 year old.

The most visible Mass Hysteria of the moment involves the idea that the United States intentionally elected a racist President. If that statement just triggered you, it might mean you are in the Mass Hysteria bubble. The cool part is that you can’t fact-check my claim you are hallucinating if you are actually hallucinating. But you can read my description of the signs of mass hysteria and see if you check off the boxes.

If you already believed President Trump is a racist, his weak statement about Charlottesville seems like confirmation. But if you believe he never offered moral leadership, only equal treatment under the law, that’s what you saw instead. And you made up your own mind about the morality.

The tricky part here is that any interpretation of what happened could be confirmation bias. But ask yourself which one of these versions sounds less crazy:

1. A sitting president, who is a branding expert, thought it would be a good idea to go easy on murderous Nazis as a way to improve his popularity.

or…

2. The country elected a racist leader who is winking to the KKK and White Supremacists that they have a free pass to start a race war now.

or…

3. A mentally unstable racist clown with conman skills (mostly just lying) eviscerated the Republican primary field and won the presidency. He keeps doing crazy, impulsive racist stuff. But for some reason, the economy is going well, jobs are looking good, North Korea blinked, ISIS is on the ropes, and the Supreme Court got a qualified judge. It was mostly luck.

or…

4. The guy who didn’t offer to be your moral leader didn’t offer any moral leadership, just law and order, applied equally. His critics cleverly and predictably framed it as being soft on Nazis.

One of those narratives is less crazy-sounding than the others. That doesn’t mean the less-crazy one has to be true. But normal stuff happens far more often than crazy stuff. And critics will frame normal stuff as crazy whenever they get a chance.

He has been portrayed as a misogynist and a racist but none of his 43 bills passed in law reflect that. With respect to ANTIFA, BANM and other ultra-left wing and anarchist groups have been promoting violence during and after the elections.

The KKK, an older group founded in 1865 is rooted in race hate, antisemitic violence with other small right wing groups such as Vanguard supporting them. It's something they like to wallow in.

It is politically correct to suggest the right-wing nuts are the only instigators but it takes two to tango, based on frequent clashes we see. Both these left and right groups also act against mainstream groups.

Trump's condemnation of both sides was pretty standard. The media spin somehow tried to say he tacitly condoned the right.

The psychotic driver who committed murder does not change the preceding sequence of events over the past few months.

or…

or…

or…

5. or a racist but, being an idiot, he doesn't understand long words and therefore doesn't realise he's a racist. He thinks fake news is real news. He had a fake news publisher, Breitbart, on staff.

I don't think Trump has a good grasp of reality. I think that's beyond question. All the evidence is there. I also think he was elected because it's apparently mostly idiots who chose to vote in USA. I don't know about you, but a guy who, like a little boy, braggs about grabbing pussies is not suitable to lead anything. He's a moron. He's not level headed. Doesn't think before opening his idiot mouth.

I work as a senior manager. I couldn't get away with half the shit Trump does.

Oh yeah, he was the head cheerleader of a 5 year racist campaign to evict the first half-black sitting president, under the presumption that he wasn't born in America.

Don't think birtherism is racist? Here is a prominant Republican giving his opinion : http://observer.com/2016/09/colin-powell-is-right-birtherism-is-racism/

I would question why any US citizen who was not born in the US or who was not born a US citizen would be banned from running for office. Anyway, Obama produced his birth certificate and that was the end of it.

I would question why any US citizen who was not born in the US or who was not born a US citizen would be banned from running for office. Anyway, Obama produced his birth certificate and that was the end of it.

I think that is a perfectly reasonable demand. All countries have quaint legal quirks of their governmental system. This is just one of them.

Back when USA was founded USA was an extremely weak country. Big, but extremely poor. With a relatively powerful president. It was also the age of imperialism and colonialism. France, Britain, Spain and Portugal... hell even Holland, were rich and eager to expand their empires. Also, democracy was a new thing. The founding father were worried that foreign imperial agents would run for office and give the country over to ther colonial power. So they put this rule in effect. I think it's cute.

It's not like life is fair anyway. Does it really make much of a difference? Even if you or me could run for office, we're not likely to become president, are we? Just looking at the odds here.

There NEVER was a beginning to it.

Sheer unsupported RACIST nonsense from beginning to end.

It was merely red meat to attract knuckle draggers.

And Trump was the leading proponent of this racist nonsense for years.

Racism? Race? Racism assumes a racial hierarchy. In this imagined racist hierarchy of yours what race is at the top? I don't think red hair and freckles qualifies as a race.

Racism? Race? Racism assumes a racial hierarchy. In this imagined racist hierarchy of yours what race is at the top? I don't think red hair and freckles qualifies as a race.

Racism is ignorance.

There is no sense to make of it.

In the US there are a lot of people of European descent that hate people of African descent for no sane reason. They were taught to hate by their parents or peers as children. As Trump's racist father taught him.

It exists, and is a huge problem.

Racism is ignorance.

There is no sense to make of it.

In the US there are a lot of people of European descent that hate people of African descent for no sane reason. They were taught to hate by their parents or peers as children. As Trump's racist father taught him.

It exists, and is a huge problem.

Does racism make more sense than your post? Well.. it couldn't make less sense.

Lets just get this out of the way. Of course there were rasists who voted fot Trump. And there were also rasists who voted for Obama. Doesnt change the OP though. There are a LOT of people in an irrational panic bubble over Trump right now.

Back
Top Bottom