• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Human Competition and Physical Features

rousseau

Contributor
It's an interesting thought experiment to draw an analogy between people and other species with regards to physical competition. Few of us tend to be consciously aware that our species competes, or when we're competing ourselves, but the competition is definitely there. For mating partners and for resources mostly. Look to something like an Elk with antlers, it's obvious how males compete, physically. But what is the human analogy?

I think most people could easily draw a quick list of attributes that are important in competition: social skills, displays of wealth, physical appearance, physical health, strength. But if you scale competition back to physical features alone and not outward results of our physical features, I believe we're primarily left with language.

Those who are skilled at receiving, understanding, and expressing language toward the end of living in harmony with other people should be the most successful in terms of reproduction. At a fundamental level a relationship between two people is a long-term bond where communication is happening consistently, every day, and these bonds are likely the most critical aspect of our survival. Those who can maintain relationships with language, romantic or otherwise, are the most successful.

One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is how difficult managerial roles are. Earlier in my career I didn't have enough respect for what these people do, but as my own role becomes more social I'm realizing that software development is easy, but managing relationships, or managing a team takes a lot more finesse. And someone who is able to lead a large-scale enterprise, even harder. The higher up you go the more linguistic skill you need - we are compensated primarily for this skill.

And I have to wonder if this propensity for language is manifested not in our brain size, but brain shape. Those who have a neural configuration that is well attuned to a good combination of intelligence/sociality tend to be the most successful, not necessarily more fire-power, but the right mix of fire-power.

Anyway, some food for thought. It doesn't seem like we've had many proper science talks lately.

98f9c1129f892e72823212cfcb31e7a7.jpg

Those who are skilled at receiving, understanding, and expressing language toward the end of living in harmony with other people should be the most successful in terms of reproduction. At a fundamental level a relationship between two people is a long-term bond where communication is happening consistently, every day, and these bonds are likely the most critical aspect of our survival. Those who can maintain relationships with language, romantic or otherwise, are the most successful.

Ah, Cyrano had the greatest language skills in all the land.

But that nose.

That nose.

I suspect most of mating is all about physical attractiveness.

And most relationships are tenuous.

Ah, Cyrano had the greatest language skills in all the land.

But that nose.

That nose.

I suspect most of mating is all about physical attractiveness.

And most relationships are tenuous.

When you really look at it most people should be able to find a suitable partner for at least a part of their life. Those who are so unattractive, or so socially unappealing that they can't find anyone are not that common. Which I think points to how critical meeting a minimum standard in both of these domains is.

In reality, you're right that both are important, and it's likely true that each can fill different niches. And the importance of each attribute likely differs between men and women.

Back
Top Bottom