• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Human freedom is constrained by the mind's content and physical ability

Really? The most critical component for success is the gene which if it is not viable the 'selected' organism fails. No need to poll any other alleles.

If the organism fails then the gene is gone.

If the organism succeeds it succeeds because of it's phenome acting in the world, not it's genome, which acts on nothing.

A genome cannot force an organism to survive. It can force nothing. It is not an agent of any kind.

Can you please respond to this: what is left of evolution if there werent any genes? If there were no "bookkeepers"?

If the organism fails then the gene is gone.

If the organism succeeds it succeeds because of it's phenome acting in the world, not it's genome, which acts on nothing.

A genome cannot force an organism to survive. It can force nothing. It is not an agent of any kind.

Can you please respond to this: what is left of evolution if there werent any genes? If there were no "bookkeepers"?

If there is no bookkeeping then the wins gained by phenotypes will not be recorded.

You need bookkeeping but bookkeepers record evolutionary success they are not causing it. They cause nothing.

Again, genes are acted upon, they are not actors, they are not agents of any kind.

A whale successfully mates and passes on a random haploid.

Which gene is a "selfish" gene and which is an "altruistic" gene in that haploid?

How is any single gene special or solely responsible for that mating?

They all just passively go along for the ride. None controlling anything.

To code for something is not to control the process of the transformation of that code into a part of a living thing.

If there is no bookkeeping then the wins gained by phenotypes will not be recorded..

And.... Why cant you say it?
I say it for you: there will be no evolution.

If there is no oxygen there is no evolution of land animals.

But oxygen is not controlling evolution.

In terms of evolution genes play a role. They mutate.

That is their contribution to evolution.

But staying the same and being "selfish" does not result in evolution.

Last edited:
And.... Why cant you say it?
I say it for you: there will be no evolution.

Tou dont need oxygen to have evolution. You need genes, sexual reproduction and selection.

Tou dont need oxygen to have evolution. You need genes, sexual reproduction and selection.

275px-Adenosin.svg.png

That's Adenosine. Tell me again you don't need oxygen for evolution.

200px-Guanin.svg.png

Guanine.

Ever heard of genetic computer algorithms?

Evolution is a bigger concept than mere life.

This is what you just said.

You need genes, sexual reproduction and selection.

No oxygen, no genes, no life on this planet, no computers.

But you are getting tiresome.

Make some coherent point or criticism or just admit this subject is beyond you.

As Gould said, the idea of a "selfish gene" was a fruitful error, nothing more.

This is what you just said.

You need genes, sexual reproduction and selection.

No oxygen, no genes, no life on this planet, no computers.

But you are getting tiresome.

Make some coherent point or criticism or just admit this subject is beyond you.

As Gould said, the idea of a "selfish gene" was a fruitful error, nothing more.

Yes. Except we find changes related to genes most probable, those related to kin less probable, those related to groups most improbable, and those related to species mere conjecture. It comes down to chain of evidence. Gould was't really a statistician so he just couldn't understand. Read your  Analysis of variance which serves as the mathematical tool for studying and making sense of genetics and  Dobzhansky from whom  Genetics and the Origin of Species. Uh, by the way he was actually a geneticist, an expert in the field of genetics who published thousands of refereed papers on the topic.

In fact here is a paper from 2001, thirty years after Dobzhansky's death verifying his theory on speciation. EVIDENCE FOR DOBZHANSKY-MULLER INCOMPATIBILITESCONTRIBUTING TO THE STERILITY OF HYBRIDS BETWEEN MIMULUSGUTTATUS AND M. NASUTU https://www.researchgate.net/profil...M._nasutus/links/54cbf2bc0cf29ca810f482cd.pdf

As you know Gould was neither a geneticist nor a mathematician which is a big down side when understanding how genetics works. As you can see in your dependence on you'bible' it leads to a lot of words and a lot of need for interpretation when such as Gould tries to cast it. ..and, I might add, a lot of doubt about what he's talking about and why is he talking about it.

Last edited:
As you know Gould was neither a geneticist nor a mathematician....

Meaningless criticism.

What he was that the others are not was a geologist and he knew the fossil record.

He had an encyclopedic knowledge of living things and on Darwin.

And to think Gould wasn't fully familiar with Dobzhansky and his work is a mistake. He makes reference to the man and his work 13 times in "Structures..."

But ultimate I don't care about Gould or any person. What I care about are the arguments made by Gould and others.

So I will begin to present Gould's argument. Page 613 "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory"

The Evolutionary Definition of Selective Agency and the Fallacy of the Selfish Gene

A FRUITFUL ERROR OF LOGIC

Only rarely, however, do professionals get sidetracked by pursuing an extensive and longlasting program of research initiated by an error in reasoning rather than an inadequacy of empirical knowledge. Yet I think that the gene-centered approach to natural selection-based on the central contention that genes, as persistent and faithful replicators, must be fundamental (or even exclusive) units of selection-represents a purely conceptual error of this unusual kind.

We clearly see what Gould thinks but the issue that decides if this goes on or not is his characterization of the gene-centered approach. Is that what the gene-centered approach is?

based on the central contention that genes, as persistent and faithful replicators, must be fundamental (or even exclusive) units of selection

Meaningless criticism.

What he was that the others are not was a geologist and he knew the fossil record.

He had an encyclopedic knowledge of living things and on Darwin.

And to think Gould wasn't fully familiar with Dobzhansky and his work is a mistake. He makes reference to the man and his work 13 times in "Structures..."

Wow. Filled the air with waving hands. He did.

As for approach I provided you access to Dobzhansky's genetic theory which is laid out in "Genetics and Origin of Species" which I also provided.

I suspected you'd try your Gould shotgun so I also provided a specific an article on the state of the art of a theory originated by Dobzhansky on mechanisms of speciation. In that article the authors concluded

Dobzhansky-Muller interactions also resulted in the breakdown of several non-reproductive characters and appear to contribute to correlations between male and female fertility in the F2 generation. These results parallel and contrast with the genetics of postzygotic isolation in model animal systems and are a first step toward understanding the process of speciation in this well studied flowering plant group.

BTW this work connects directly to other animal speciation work so any waving off will have to be justified.

When you find anything that Gould did that gets to the specific nub of how speciation works as well as this pleez call us.

Gould is just Wynne-Edwards in paleo clothing. Neither know anything about robust SM or the mathematics associated with it.*

*I'm being generous. I could have justifiably related Gould to JP Scott.

A long winded refusal to even look at the issue.

The more you weasel about the less I suspect you have to say.

Not look at the issue whether genes central to evolution? Really. What do you think experimental confirmation of purely (Dobzhansky-Muller invompatibiilities) genetic incompatibilities being central to speciation isn't evidence for gene centered evolution? Where are you roaming sir?

Not look at the issue whether genes central to evolution? Really. What do you think experimental confirmation of purely (Dobzhansky-Muller invompatibiilities) genetic incompatibilities being central to speciation isn't evidence for gene centered evolution? Where are you roaming sir?

You beg to hear Gould's arguments, since you have never read them nor can seem to find them.

When I begin, you immediately change the subject.

You are not serious.

You have the things you believe but cannot in your own words defend them.

Untermensche, even if you knew, somehow, that all organisms alive and all organisms that have ever lived did not evolve without the use of oxygen, how do you know that it could never happen? This shows a misunderstanding of present theories of evolution.

Secondly and most importantly, gene expression is needed to assemble protein molecules. If you don't believe me, read it here, https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/glossary=geneexpression . If the genes are not in the cell, then there is no formation of the organism. So of course genes must have an impact what becomes of the organism.

Untermensche, even if you knew, somehow, that all organisms alive and all organisms that have ever lived did not evolve without the use of oxygen, how do you know that it could never happen? This shows a misunderstanding of present theories of evolution.

Secondly and most importantly, gene expression is needed to assemble protein molecules. If you don't believe me, read it here, https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/glossary=geneexpression . If the genes are not in the cell, then there is no formation of the organism. So of course genes must have an impact what becomes of the organism.

Your knowledge is not a part of the issue here.

The issue is not whether genes have coded information that cellular machinery turns to proteins.

The issue is this:

based on the central contention that genes, as persistent and faithful replicators, must be fundamental (or even exclusive) units of selection

The issue is "units of selection".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_of_selection

And it will not be settled here.

If the issue is as Gould contends, a fundamental error in logic, then all the studies in the world will not change it.

I don't know about you but I think objective study and experiment supersedes even strongly held belief. As far as I can tell Gould had a strongly held belief that there is an error in gene centered geneticist's logic.

If there is such an error it will be revealed when experiment demonstrates it doesn't handle result. The study I provided clearly demonstrate gene centered theory handles results for genetic interference being at core of speciation for several species.

Yet you just continue to wave your arms and flail about Gould's unsupported assertion. I also presented the case of Williams selfish gene versus Wynne-Edwards group selection which went oh so badly for Wynne-Edwards. We now have numbers showing what can possibly accounted for by group (Sage Grouse) is less than one in 10,000 while gene attribution is well above 99%. Trace the studies I provided and the truth will be found my son.

Back
Top Bottom