• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Humans really don't know what they're doing?

He has no more understanding of the consciousness than any person with one.

And your evidence for this claim? It's really easy to say things. It's much harder to provide any evidence.

Sorry Theologian.

This is your claim to prove.

Prove the bag is not just hot air.

You have not come close.

Show me the model of consciousness using electrical or chemical effects. Have you ever studied either?

There is no known electrical or chemical effect that results in consciousness.

Dennett dismissed quantum effects as the cause of the phenomena of consciousness with the wave of his hand.

In the decades since he looks stupider and stupider.

Anyway, as I pointed out, Dyson is a religious dualist. Why is it that you keep bringing up these superannuated God botherers? Do you think that God has a role to play in understanding the mind?

I don't know if you know the neuroscientist guy Klemm who wrote the Libet-critical, pro-free will paper I linked to earlier:

Here, for those with the time and inclination to read through it, is a fairly long paper outlining a number of potential flaws with free will experiments:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2942748/

Curiosity led me to google and guess what, he's a devout god-botherer too.

My strong impression is that we have a quasi-god-botherer among us here in all but self-identification. So much of his thinking is essentially religious in nature.

Last edited:
This conscious reminder would come, very briefly, to the 'cartesian theatre experience' from memory, of course, and I'm not saying it's free will, obviously, and I'm setting aside whether or not thoughts are physical etc. But (and this may overlap with at least one other thread topic, possibly two) did the imagining in any way affect how you handled the egg?

We could say that for a practiced omelette-making-chef, the reminder from memory might not have to pass through consciousness, it could have been learned sufficiently often to mean that he or she will handle a raw egg with extra care 'automatically', so let's say you're more or less a complete novice at egg-handling, such as a small child.

Yes, indeed.

If that's a yes to mental causation then I tend to agree. But, what metric are we using? If we're just using 'seems/feels like' and 'common sense tells us' then we might be no better than someone who says their consciousness has autonomy (and free will).

In other words, can we cite something empirical or objective about mental causation?

And your evidence for this claim? It's really easy to say things. It's much harder to provide any evidence.

Sorry Theologian.

I'm not the property dualist here.

This is your claim to prove.

No, this:

Dennett said:

is your claim. So prove it, rather than using playground taunts.

Prove the bag is not just hot air.

You have not come close.

Show me the model of consciousness using electrical or chemical effects. Have you ever studied either?

Yes thanks. I have. Would you like to swap qualifications? I have plenty in precisely this domain. You?

There is no known electrical or chemical effect that results in consciousness.

Of course. However, that is simply because of the methodological impossibility of connecting subjective first person events with objective third person ones. Science simply doesn't include anecdotal evidence. However, introspectionism was an abject failure for reasons that you demonstrate to great effect.

Dennett dismissed quantum effects as the cause of the phenomena of consciousness with the wave of his hand.

That's precisely what he didn't do. He dismissed them with an argument that you didn't grasp. (bit which I explained in my analysis of the interaction earlier). Dyson did. that's why he got flustered and backed down.

In the decades since he looks stupider and stupider.

Not to professionals in the field. I look forward to hearing about your qualifications and teaching and research experience. Sadly the department of hard knocks at the University of life doesn't count.

Anyway, as I pointed out, Dyson is a religious dualist. Why is it that you keep bringing up these superannuated God botherers? Do you think that God has a role to play in understanding the mind?

I don't know if you know the neuroscientist guy Klemm who wrote the Libet-critical, pro-free will paper I linked to earlier:

Here, for those with the time and inclination to read through it, is a fairly long paper outlining a number of potential flaws with free will experiments:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2942748/

Curiosity led me to google and guess what, he's a devout god-botherer too.

My strong impression is that we have a quasi-god-botherer among us here in all but self-identification. So much of his thinking is essentially religious in nature.

I don't, I'm afraid.

However, I spent a very pleasant afternoon browsing the UK's finest private collection of clocks and watches in the company of the collection's curator and I confess i'm currently horologically priapic. I'm not reading jack right now that isn't about clocks I can't possibly ever afford. We even had a properly philosophical conversation about precision, accuracy and sidereal time. There's a couple of dirty secrets about time that so few people know, it sin't worth talking about. Just for fun I'll explain. When we talk about a clock being a good clock, there are really two criteria that matter: precision (how little the clock varies in rate) and accuracy (how well the clock tracks intersubjectively agreed time). I know you will never have done this, but when you measure the daily rate of a watch or clock, it's easy to see the difference: a clock that absolutely reliably gains a second a day is stable, but it isn't accurate. At the end of the week it will be seven seconds away from the agreed reference. A clock that runs, sayu +2 -! 0 +1 -! -1 0 will end the week spot on, it's accurate, but it isn't stable (thus it relies for accuracy on the errors cancelling out which, as you know, they generally will to some degree.

Personally I value stability over accuracy. It's easy to argue that the big picture is intersubjective agreement. Perhaps I'd agree except for sidereal time. The fact is that, relative to the universe, we are not even trying. Because:

https://sureshemre.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/difference-between-sidereal-day-and-solar-day-on-earth/

Which is why we are constantly fiddling to keep some semblance of the relation that matters to us.

Either way, I guess you can see how you can argue either case. We did, in between some of the finest clocks in the UK It were fun.

You don't know what property dualism even means.

I know, atheists never can. You on the other hand...

Atheists don't believe in quantum effects?

You are very lost and don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Except. of course, I'm the one who pointed out what sort of quantum effects you appeared unaware that Dyson believes in. Please, allow me to remind you:

Here is a brief summary of my thinking. The universe shows evidence of the operations of mind on three levels. The first level is elementary physical processes, as we see them when we study atoms in the laboratory. The second level is our direct human experience of our own consciousness. The third level is the universe as a whole. Atoms in the laboratory are weird stuff, behaving like active agents rather than inert substances. They make unpredictable choices between alternative possibilities according to the laws of quantum mechanics. It appears that mind, as manifested by the capacity to make choices, is to some extent inherent in every atom. The universe as a whole is also weird, with laws of nature that make it hospitable to the growth of mind. I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension. God may be either a world-soul or a collection of world-souls. So I am thinking that atoms and humans and God may have minds that differ in degree but not in kind. We stand, in a manner of speaking, midway between the unpredictability of atoms and the unpredictability of God. Atoms are small pieces of our mental apparatus, and we are small pieces of God's mental apparatus. Our minds may receive inputs equally from atoms and from God. This view of our place in the cosmos may not be true, but it is compatible with the active nature of atoms as revealed in the experiments of modern physics. I don't say that this personal theology is supported or proved by scientific evidence. I only say that it is consistent with scientific evidence.

But please carry on insulting me. that's the most convincing of arguments.

Atheists don't believe in quantum effects?

You are very lost and don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Except. of course, I'm the one who pointed out what sort of quantum effects you appeared unaware that Dyson believes in. Please, allow me to remind you:

Here is a brief summary of my thinking. The universe shows evidence of the operations of mind on three levels. The first level is elementary physical processes, as we see them when we study atoms in the laboratory. The second level is our direct human experience of our own consciousness. The third level is the universe as a whole. Atoms in the laboratory are weird stuff, behaving like active agents rather than inert substances. They make unpredictable choices between alternative possibilities according to the laws of quantum mechanics. It appears that mind, as manifested by the capacity to make choices, is to some extent inherent in every atom. The universe as a whole is also weird, with laws of nature that make it hospitable to the growth of mind. I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension. God may be either a world-soul or a collection of world-souls. So I am thinking that atoms and humans and God may have minds that differ in degree but not in kind. We stand, in a manner of speaking, midway between the unpredictability of atoms and the unpredictability of God. Atoms are small pieces of our mental apparatus, and we are small pieces of God's mental apparatus. Our minds may receive inputs equally from atoms and from God. This view of our place in the cosmos may not be true, but it is compatible with the active nature of atoms as revealed in the experiments of modern physics. I don't say that this personal theology is supported or proved by scientific evidence. I only say that it is consistent with scientific evidence.

But please carry on insulting me. that's the most convincing of arguments.

Telling somebody talking nonsense they are talking nonsense is not an insult. It is a fact.

What does Dyson's position have to do with mine? I merely used him as an example of somebody who thinks the mind may be a quantum effect.

He understands that the mind is not objectively understood at all, so he fills in the blanks with his ideas, with his prejudices not science.

Same exact thing Dennett does.

Same thing anyone who claims to understand consciousness objectively does.

This conscious reminder would come, very briefly, to the 'cartesian theatre experience' from memory, of course, and I'm not saying it's free will, obviously, and I'm setting aside whether or not thoughts are physical etc. But (and this may overlap with at least one other thread topic, possibly two) did the imagining in any way affect how you handled the egg?

We could say that for a practiced omelette-making-chef, the reminder from memory might not have to pass through consciousness, it could have been learned sufficiently often to mean that he or she will handle a raw egg with extra care 'automatically', so let's say you're more or less a complete novice at egg-handling, such as a small child.

Yes, indeed.

If that's a yes to mental causation then I tend to agree. But, what metric are we using? If we're just using 'seems/feels like' and 'common sense tells us' then we might be no better than someone who says their consciousness has autonomy (and free will).

In other words, can we cite something empirical or objective about mental causation?

If by 'mental causation' we are talking about brain activity - mental causation being inseparable from the physical process of brain activity - then it is ultimately the brain that generates thoughts, feelings and actions through 'mentation' and not mentation as some sort of autonomous agent (as someone here asserts) that decides and acts. 'Mental causation' is then equivalent to 'brain agency'

Telling somebody talking nonsense they are talking nonsense is not an insult. It is a fact.

Unless of course you are wrong...

What does Dyson's position have to do with mine? I merely used him as an example of somebody who thinks the mind may be a quantum effect.

No, you asserted that:

you said:
Dyson's point looks very plausible

(post 34)

It doesn't look remotely plausible, it looks, as most quantum accounts do, like some desperate god botherer trying to find a gap to hide their faith in. More to the point, Dennett's point about unconscious healiong blows Dyson out of the water, as everyone around the table realised even if you didn't.

He understands that the mind is not objectively understood at all, so he fills in the blanks with his ideas, with his prejudices not science. Same exact thing Dennett does.

That's odd, earlier you asserted that:

you earlier said:
Dyson shut his nonsense down. It was beautiful.

Now you are saying something quite different. As I proved earlier it was Dennett that shut Dyson's nonsense down, not the other way around. I get that you didn't get the point about repair, but everyone else did.

Same thing anyone who claims to understand consciousness objectively does.

How about you explain Dennett's 'heterophenomenology' argument to us. That's the move that Dennett claims would allow us to study your seemings objectively. It would be a great pity if you didn't understand it, or were unable to offer a counter argument.

Personally I don't thing that science can get an objective handle on it, but that's because I read a crucial move in Wittgenstein differently to Dennett.

Here's the move. For reasons of clarity I have rendered it back into the dialogue that I believe Wittgenstein intended but which was collapsed by Anscombe for reasons she never adequately explained. Anyone who cares can check the accuracy of the text. All I have changed is layout and punctuation. The interlocutor Augustein is my portmanteau of Augustine and Wittgenstein and reminds us that Wittgenstein's target in the Investigations is the classical empiricist tradition concerning language use represented by Augustine, whose model of language acquisition Wittgenstein quotes extensively at the start of the investigations. The key points for Dennett and I is in bold

Wittgenstein said:
Augustein: "I can only believe that someone else is in pain, but I know that I am."

Wittgenstein: "Yes, one can make the decision to say 'I believe he is in pain' instead of 'he is in pain', but that is all. What looks like an explanation here, or like a statement about a mental process, is in truth an exchange of one expression for another."

Augustein: "Which, while we are doing philosophy, seems the more appropriate one?"

Wittgenstein: Just try - in a real case - to doubt someone else's fear or pain."

Augustein: "But you will surely admit that there is a difference between pain behaviour accompanied by pain and pain behaviour without any pain?"

Wittgenstein: "Admit it? What greater difference could there be?"

Augustein: "And yet you again and again reach the conclusion that the sensation itself is a nothing."

Wittgenstein: Not at all. It is not a something, but not a nothing either! The conclusions was only that a nothing would serve just as well as a something about which nothing could be said. We have only rejected the grammar which tries to force itself on us here. The paradox disappears only if you make a radical break with the idea that language only functions in one way, always serves the same purpose: to convey thoughts - which may be about houses, pains, good and evil or anything else you please."

Augustein: "But you surely cannot deny that, for example, in remembering, an inner process takes place?"

Wittgenstein: "What gives the impression that we want to deny anything? When one says, 'still, an inner process does take place here', one wants to go on, 'after all, you see it'."

Augustein: "And it is this inner process that one means by the word 'remembering'."

Wittgenstein: "The impression that we wanted to deny something arises from setting our faces against the idea of the 'inner process'. What we deny is that the picture of the inner process gives us the correct idea of the use of the word 'to remember'. We say that the picture, with its ramifications, stands in the way of seeing the use of the word as it is."

Augustein: "Why should I deny that there is a mental process?"

Wittgenstein: "But, 'there has just taken place in me the mental process of remembering...' means nothing more than: 'I have just remembered'."

Augustein: "To deny the mental process would be to deny the remembering, to deny that anyone ever remembers anything! Are you not really a behaviourist in disguise? Aren't you, at bottom, really saying that everything except human behaviour is a fiction?"

Wittgenstein: If I do speak of a fiction, then it is of a grammatical fiction."

Augustein: "How does the philosophical problem about mental processes and about behaviourism arise?"

Wittgenstein: "The first step is one that altogether escapes notice. We talk of processes and states and leave their nature undecided.

Augustein: "Sometime perhaps, we shall know more about them."

Wittgenstein: "We think! But that is just what commits us to a particular way of looking at the matter, for we have a definite concept of what it means to learn to know a process better. (The decisive move in the conjuring trick has been made and it was the very one we thought quite innocent). And now the analogy which was to make us understand our thoughts falls to pieces, so we have to deny the yet uncomprehended process in the yet unexplored medium and now it looks as if we had denied mental processes and naturally we don't want to deny them".

Augustein: "What is your aim in philosophy"

Wittgenstein: "To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle".

Dennett reads this as saying that there is nothing there and we make a mistake in language which convinces us there is, I read this as saying that there is something there just that nothing can be said about it, precisely because it is logically private. There's certainly a convincing case to be made either way and depending on how you read the central move, the rest of the argument seems to fit that conclusion in a way that is a bit duck/rabbit to coin another of Wittgenstein's metaphors.

Dennett certainly argues that intentional (that is conceptualised) content gives a plausible vehicle through which one could be mistaken about our seemings and mistake the outside for the inside. This is the central move of Consciousness Explained. Personally I still hold to the Cartesian point that for this mistake to seem like anything requires an internal seeming as well as an external one, but the other reading of this argument makes that look like a dogmatic mistake. Wittgenstein himself held that the answer to this question was one of biology, not philosophy. Again Dennett argues persuasively that there's no fixed determinate content until it is 'published' in language. Personally I don't see the necessity of that publishing and just see a rolling experience as information washes around the brain. Certainly conceptualisation gives content harder edges, but I don't see why content has to be determinate to feel like something.

Which is precisely the point of the Tractatus.

Last edited:
No, you asserted that:

Dyson's point looks very plausible

What position exactly was I referring to?

That's odd, earlier you asserted that:

Dyson shut his nonsense down. It was beautiful.

What nonsense was I talking about?

How about you explain Dennett's 'heterophenomenology' argument to us.

You must be a child in high school the way you drop names and words and think they are arguments in themselves.

How about you show me an objective model for the production of the phenomena of consciousness. How exactly is the phenomena created?

I am not interested in your worthless empty talk about the phenomena.

This is how science works since nobody ever told you.

All understanding is understanding within a model.

Hopefully I don't have to teach you what a scientific model is. It is not the timing of human inklings.

In the absence of a model there is no understanding.

Augustein: "I can only believe that someone else is in pain, but I know that I am."

Wittgenstein: "Yes, one can make the decision to say 'I believe he is in pain' instead of 'he is in pain', but that is all. What looks like an explanation here, or like a statement about a mental process, is in truth an exchange of one expression for another."

One can make the decision when the pain is not felt.

When the pain is felt one cannot.

Wittgenstein: "But, 'there has just taken place in me the mental process of remembering...' means nothing more than: 'I have just remembered'."

He's just wrong here.

He has no idea what has happened when we do "something" with our mind and we remember something.

Remembering could mean "I have done something to cause the brain to locate a stored memory."

Talk of grammar does not substitute for an objective model.

It is worthless.

Marking time until something scientific arises. Until a scientific model for the phenomena of consciousness arises.

Stop telling me convoluted imaginary stories about nothing but language and grammar. That is all Dennett does. That is not a scientific explanation of anything.

Where is your testable model?

Show me one freakin' model.

Take me from some kind of brain activity to consciousness and explain exactly how you got there.

Your endless jabbering is pointless.

It has been pointed out to you that thoughts, feelings and behaviours can be related to the electrochemical activity of brain.....altering chemical balance effecting related changes to consciousness, electrical stimulation of the brain generating thoughts, emotions and feelings according to which region is being stimulated, etc. Which you either ignore or brush aside.

It’s also been pointed out that you are asking people to provide evidence you yourself cannot provide to support your subjective assertions. Your ongoing double standard would be staggering if it wasn’t so ironic.

It has been pointed out to you that thoughts, feelings and behaviours can be related to the electrochemical activity of brain.....altering chemical balance effecting related changes to consciousness, electrical stimulation of the brain generating thoughts, emotions and feelings according to which region is being stimulated, etc. Which you either ignore or brush aside.

A knowledge of relationships is not an understanding of activity. It is not an understanding of the phenomena.

And it is not any kind of understanding of how a phenomena arises.

That requires a model.

I'm sorry but that is how science works.

If there is no model that can be tested there is no understanding of the phenomena.

How do you think we understand electricity?

By relationships? You flick the switch and the light goes on. Now I understand electricity. How easy!

Hint: We use scientific models.

A knowledge of relationships is not an understanding of activity. It is not an understanding of the phenomena.

That requires a model.

If there is no model that can be tested there is no understanding of the phenomena.

By relationships? You flick the switch and the light goes on. Now I understand electricity. How easy!

And yet you know that your model is right - show us the science there...

That requires a model.

You miss the point. Deliberately, I suspect. As usual.

The point being that altering chemical balance does indeed alter consciousness. The point being that electrical stimulation of brain regions does in fact generates thoughts and feelings that are related to the region being stimulated.

Which in turn supports the proposition that consciousness is indeed an electrochemical activity of a brain....and not as you claim, something that is inexplicably autonomous.

Therefore you have no case.

One of the pioneers of EBS:

Delgado;

''Dr. Delgado's contention that brain research has reached a stage of refinement where it can contribute to the solution of some of these problems is based, he said, on many of his own experiments. These have shown, he explained, that "functions traditionally related to the psyche, such as friendliness, pleasure or verbal expression, can be induced, modified and inhibited by direct electrical stimulation of the brain."

For example, he has been able to "play" monkeys and cats 'like little electronic toys" that yawn, hide, fight, play, mate and go to sleep on command. And with humans under treatment for epilepsy, he has increased word output sixfold in one person, has produced severe anxiety in another, and in several others has induced feelings of profound friendliness all by electrical stimulation of various specific regions of their brain.''

Back
Top Bottom