• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I think the Christian heresies are complete bullshit.

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
...and I think Christians know it, and have always known it.

When I read about the heresies, I'm often struck by how the various bishops who got kicked out of the early Christian church were very different in how they organised their churches. Often, very very different. Not just the words they were saying. But who did what, why and when. Who had power in what situations.

When Christianity became legalised it faced a lot of theological battles on the nature of Christ. Was Jesus a human adopted by God? Was Jesus divine. Was he divine all the time. Was he partly divine, partly God?

This is speculation on my part, but I think the real reason why these hair-splittings were important was because they came out of different traditions. One example, Arianism came out of the school of Alexandria, the primary seat of learning in the entire Roman empire. It was the epicentre of academic thought. Arianism was taught by a bishop named Lucius. We don’t know how Arian Christian rituals or church hierarchy functioned. This is lost in history. But my money is on that it was a hell of a lot more brainy, abstract and academic form of Christianity. Most likely with a looser hierarchy. This was the form of Christianity that appealed the most to the Germanic tribes. It was also the form of Christianity Constantine himself leaned toward.

My point is that I am sceptical that the nature of Christ debates really are about the nature of Christ. I think it was primarly about how to organise the church and who would have the power. Because these hair-splitting debates are often just silly. They must have known that at the time. I think the theology is just what they said they were arguing about. Not what they actually were arguing about.

An example of how Eastern Orthodoxy is different from Catholicism is the pope/patriarchs. Eastern Orthodoxy has five, all equal in status. There’s a mechanic with which Eastern Christian sees can declare themselves independent, and be it’s own patriarch. Catholicism doesn’t have this mechanic. This is a major difference in organisation that in no way is reflected in any of the stated reasons to why the Eastern and Western churches split. The reason is just retarded.

They split over whether or not it was right to say that Mary was the mother of God or if Mary was the mother of Christ. As I’ve understood it, the crux of it was that the term "motherhood" has slightly different connotations in Assyrian (at the time the language of the Eastern churches) than it does in Greek (at the time the language of the western church). It would simply have felt inappropriate for them to say that a woman bore a God. In Greek and Latin motherhood can be a more abstract concept.

In 1994 the pope met the pope of the Assyrian Church of the east and agreed that this disagreement was down to the different languages used, rather than a difference in meaning. And they laid their differences aside. Now members of each church can go to each others services with both patriarchs blessing. It's now officially, the same church. Even though, I'm sure, their patriarchs is in no hurry to take orders from each other.

Here's the statement:
Common Christological Declaration between the Catholic Church and the Assyrian Church of the East (November 11, 1994) | John Paul II (vatican.va)

I just don’t like that when we teach these Christological debates, (or iconoclasm etc) we’re completely leaving out mentioning church hierarchy and the political aspects. Not just which bishop should have power. But how the church organisation would change depending on who has power. Up until the 440’s AD all this was much in flux.

What do you think?

Constantine banned Arianism and decreed all works of Arian were to be burnt. Those who had Arian's books and did not destroy them were to be executed. See the Ecclestical history of Socrates Scholasticus for details. And more about early Christian heresy battles. Constantine legalized Christianity in 325 CE and by 365 CE, Pricillian and several Spanish monks were executed for heresy.

Constantine banned Arianism and decreed all works of Arian were to be burnt. Those who had Arian's books and did not destroy them were to be executed. See the Ecclestical history of Socrates Scholasticus for details. And more about early Christian heresy battles. Constantine legalized Christianity in 325 CE and by 365 CE, Pricillian and several Spanish monks were executed for heresy.

Yes, Constantine did that. But he was still Arian. Constantine's personal priest (and also advisor on all religious matters) was Eusebius of Caesarea. Also Arian. And one of it's main proponents.

In the first council of Nicea Constantine ordered all the bishops to agree on a creed. He then swore not to get involved, which he didn't. He also swore to support whatever decision the bishops agreed on.

What Constantine wanted, above all else, was unity within the Christian church. The Roman empire was shaking itself apart at the seams. Both inner conlict (civil wars and barack emperors) and from without (barbarian pressure). And Christianity wasn't going anywhere. He needed something new that would hold the whole thing together.

After the council of Nicea banned (anathemetized) Arius (well... actually his teacher Lucien.... but anyway) Constantine went along with it and ordered Eusebius of Caesarea to also conform. Which he did. Officially. Eusebius was, what we in politics like to call, a scheming cunt. He took down all those who were instrumental in pushing the Nicene creed. But Nicene Christology stood as the official policy of the Roman empire. .

What happened after the death of Constantine is that we got a string of emperors who were, not only Arian, but also pushed it. Causing utter chaos in the Christian world. It was about a hundred years after Constantine where the topmost elite of the Roman empire were Arian, (as well as a bunch of German barbarians) and then a population aggressively forced to be Nicene. I'm sure it was a confusing time to be a Christian.

Eventually this mess got sorted out and Arianism was wiped out from the Roman empire. But wait... there's more. This is the time when the barbarians swoop in and take over the western Roman empire. These are Arian barbarians. Most of these decide to switch to Nicene Christianity. But not the Vandals. They're aggressively Arian. And they're the ones who rule North Africa up until the Islamic invasion.

So the story in North Africa is this. Up to about 330 AD all Christians in north Africa were persecuted. Then the Roman empire becomes Christian and the bishops and priests who had collaborated with the pagan authorities get kicked out. This is what the Donatist conflict is about. The Roman central government agressively suppress Donatism. Then the mostly Arian north African Christians are aggressively forced to switch to Nicean Christianity. Then there's a hundred years (until 440 AD) of a schizophrenic application of these rules. At this point the Arian Vandals take over and now aggressively push Arianism, onto a population that is now largely Nicean. This BTW is why many scholars think north Africans were so extremely fast with embracing Islam. The theory goes that they were just so damn fucking sick of being persecuted for bullshit theological hair-splitting reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom