• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I want this stamp

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
Human rights issue because ruling that Corps are people essentially gives double human rights power to to corporate rulers to impose their will against the non corporate rulers.

My kid got this as change at the pizza shop and gave it to me.

I like to hear someone that supports the concept of corporate personhood explain how that is compatible with our prohibition against slavery. If corporations have rights of persons we clearly can't allow them to be owned by other persons. Yet if we acknowledge corporations can be owned then we have introduced the idea they aren't persons and other restrictions and limitations of rights could be implemented.

I like to hear someone that supports the concept of corporate personhood explain how that is compatible with our prohibition against slavery. If corporations have rights of persons we clearly can't allow them to be owned by other persons. Yet if we acknowledge corporations can be owned then we have introduced the idea they aren't persons and other restrictions and limitations of rights could be implemented.

A corporation is a person in civil law not criminal law.

If someone is held captive and forced to work they can sue their captors in civil court for damages. So the question of how can we allow a person to be owned still applies even if it were simply a civil law matter.

Are you sure about that? Corporations violate criminal laws when they pollute. Their standard defense is no defense...they just pay ridiculously low fines for their monumental crimes...many of which kill people. So many people say they support the death penalty. I am all for death penalty to corporations that create disastrous environmental pollutions that kill people. We wouldn't even need to use any drug cocktails on them...just dissolve them.

Corporate impunity is the rule pretty much anywhere in the world. Now THAT IS A SHAME....IF NOT A CRIME.

If someone is held captive and forced to work they can sue their captors in civil court for damages. So the question of how can we allow a person to be owned still applies even if it were simply a civil law matter.

A corporation can sue or be sued. A corporation can sue a former officer or employee. I'm an attorney. I've represented a company against its former managing member for harm caused by his breach of fiduciary duty. Your slavery analogy just isn't there.

A corporation can sue or be sued. A corporation can sue a former officer or employee. I'm an attorney. I've represented a company against its former managing member for harm caused by his breach of fiduciary duty. Your slavery analogy just isn't there.
You're not stating anything new here. Of course corps can be sued or sue, no one disputes that. What's in dispute is whether or not a corp is a person. Calling it slavery isn't making it an analogy. If its a person and owned by another person it is actual slavery. Do you think corporations are people and should have the same rights as people?

Human rights issue because ruling that Corps are people essentially gives double human rights power to to corporate rulers to impose their will against the non corporate rulers.

My kid got this as change at the pizza shop and gave it to me.

Very cool to see them getting around. You can get your own stamp here: http://www.stampstampede.org/collections/all

I have the one that says "Stamp money out of politics". Got it when Ben Cohen brought his StampMobile to Miami.

Back
Top Bottom