• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Iconic Paintings

rockwell---freedom-from-want.3086940590090511894.jpg
This is such a tremendously well executed painting it practically looks like an extremely slick and well-composed, well-lighted photograph. Today there is a school called photo realism, in which painters make paintings of photos that are indistinguishable from the real thing. Not sure what the point of it is. Anyway, the only thing that is slightly jarring for me is that it looks like gramps, standing in the back in black suit, has Spock ears. :)

In the Rockwell Thanksgiving painting, in addition to gramps having Spock ears, that guy on the left, just below the two kids, looks disturbingly like Rudy Giuliani. :unsure:

For me, all of these are technically very well executed of course, but the lack the visual importance of the line of modern art that was germinated with Van Gogh, Gauguin and Cezanne, and eventually led to Cubism, expressionism, abstract expressionism, Dada. action painting, colorfield painting, pop art, post-modernism, and on and on.
But the OP mentioned a survey of the public, and asked for suggestions about which "iconic AND well known" paintings would make the list, presumably if the public at large were surveyed.

For me, all of these are technically very well executed of course, but the lack the visual importance of the line of modern art that was germinated with Van Gogh, Gauguin and Cezanne, and eventually led to Cubism, expressionism, abstract expressionism, Dada. action painting, colorfield painting, pop art, post-modernism, and on and on.
But the OP mentioned a survey of the public, and asked for suggestions about which "iconic AND well known" paintings would make the list, presumably if the public at large were surveyed.

Yeah, sure, that’s fine, because even now, unfortunately, the general public isn’t too visually educated on the move away from realism in painting and other fine arts. That’s why you get questions about whether Picasso could actually draw, when he could draw perhaps better than anyone who ever drew.

Back
Top Bottom