• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If this coming year has a solid El Nino will the temps exceed the 1998 temps?

el Nino is a left-wing lie designed to help lefties get rich because that happens so easily with green technology.

Niño, niño!!!

--El gramático furioso.

I don't know how to break this to you, but when English steals words from your language, they are often quite badly mauled in the process of the theft; and English, bully that she is, doesn't care. The diacritical tilde is not used by English, so it has been torn from the poor n against her will, and discarded, as have almost all diacritical marks. Even the pronunciation has been beaten into submission, and the two N's are forced to share a single sound in English.

It is rather like when the cops advise you that they have recovered your stolen car, and then you find that the thieves torched it. You will never get it back in its original condition. I hope you had insurance. ;)

Weather is too complex to be 100% certain that a given year will have higher or lower temperatures than another given year in a given location, even if the ENSO pattern is similar; the smart money would be on this year being warmer than 1998 though, if a similar ENSO pattern arises.

Niño, niño!!!

--El gramático furioso.

I don't know how to break this to you, but when English steals words from your language, they are often quite badly mauled in the process of the theft; and English, bully that she is, doesn't care. The diacritical tilde is not used by English, so it has been torn from the poor n against her will, and discarded, as have almost all diacritical marks. Even the pronunciation has been beaten into submission, and the two N's are forced to share a single sound in English.
That is generally fairly true when we shamelessly steal words from other languages. However, we were fairly gentile with el niño. We even left the "el" alone and didn't change it to "the" likely because us gringos have no idea what it means. We did scrap that silly squiggly tilde because, let's face it, it is rather silly and un-necessary but we left the pronunciation alone as if it was still there. We even pronounce the "i" like the English long e like in Spanish rather than like the i in "time" as any good speaker of English should.

Now if you want to hear some serious abuse of spoken Spanish, there is a major street in Atlanta, Ga. named after that early Spanish explorer, Ponce de Leon. No native speaker of Spanish would recognize that was the name of the street when hearing a native of Atlanta pronounce it.

Niño, niño!!!

--El gramático furioso.

That is generally fairly true when we shamelessly steal words from other languages. However, we were fairly gentile with el niño. We even left the "el" alone and didn't change it to "the" likely because us gringos have no idea what it means. We did scrap that silly squiggly tilde because, let's face it, it is rather silly and un-necessary but we left the pronunciation alone as if it was still there. We even pronounce the "i" like the English long e like in Spanish rather than like the i in "time" as any good speaker of English should.

Now if you want to hear some serious abuse of spoken Spanish, there is a major street in Atlanta, Ga. named after that early Spanish explorer, Ponce de Leon. No native speaker of Spanish would recognize that was the name of the street when hearing a native of Atlanta pronounce it.

In America, with the influence of Spanish on your country from south of the Rio Grande, perhaps this is so. Over here, where the El Nino has as big an influence on our rainfall (albeit in the opposite direction) as it does on the Eastern Pacific, the second 'n', as spoken, is indistinguishable from the first.

I heard a forecast on ABC claiming a drier than normal season with a decrease in cyclone activity. Drier usually means hotter.

I heard a forecast on ABC claiming a drier than normal season with a decrease in cyclone activity. Drier usually means hotter.

El Nino means drought here, and floods over there on the American West Coast. They get the storms and we miss out.

But in fact, drier generally doesn't mean hotter. High temperatures lead to more evaporation, and more rain; the reason we get El Nino droughts here is because the Coral Sea is too cool to generate the usual amount of rain.

Niño, niño!!!

--El gramático furioso.

In America, with the influence of Spanish on your country from south of the Rio Grande, perhaps this is so. Over here, where the El Nino has as big an influence on our rainfall (albeit in the opposite direction) as it does on the Eastern Pacific, the second 'n', as spoken, is indistinguishable from the first.

Over the web you cannot see my cheek increased in size due to my tongue being in it. Obviously, lexical loanings are handled according to the new linguistic context, so writing 'ñ' would be unexpected from a monolingual English-language writer.

Back
Top Bottom