• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

In what ways is modern society deluded?

Here's a fun thought experiment:

What would a 'perfect' world look like? And how would an unreal perfect world be better than a real imperfect one?

If we´re in a computer generated world each consciousness could design the world they would like. Space would be infinite. So I can claim it is a perfect world without having to bother with the details. Handy

So we would "advance" to Voltaire's sarcasm on "the best of all possible worlds". Nice.

If we´re in a computer generated world each consciousness could design the world they would like. Space would be infinite. So I can claim it is a perfect world without having to bother with the details. Handy

So we would "advance" to Voltaire's sarcasm on "the best of all possible worlds". Nice.

Meaning of life would still be a struggle.. so... yeah.... best of all possible worlds... hm. Existential anxiety is a real headache.

Meaning of life would still be a struggle.. so... yeah.... best of all possible worlds... hm. Existential anxiety is a real headache.

We are continuing to construct environmental problems today...particularly in the matter of the management of our atmospheric and water environments. We have become so pressing on the planet, the time has come for us to mend our way. I oppose the notion of a market economy when it dictates a declining environmental quality as the price for it to function. I think capitalism will eventually be laughed at in future centuries if the human communities actually last that long.

The more I look at our current political systems the more backward they look. I'd guess another delusion the average citizen has is that our current political state is normal.

A Civilization Starts Dying When Dynasty Becomes Destiny

As society progresses we're in a continual process of over-coming certain types of delusional and back-ward thinking. So I wonder:

In 200-300 years, what will society look back on in the 21st century and realize that we had it completely wrong?

That anyone over the age of 18 has a right to a dime from his Daddy. All other erosive defects are related to the hidden cancer of hereditary money, positions, and influence. For example, eliminating Preppies' privilege of living off an allowance in college will grant that right instead to the most talented, whose complete development we won't last much longer without.

All degenerate and irrational postmodern, pre-collapse ideas such as racial equality, environmentalism, homosexuality, feminism, etc., including the Rightist free-market fantasies, came from HeirHeads. If they have a future, the rest of us don't. After we collapse, they will soon be sucked down into the hole, too, and won't survive long enough to enjoy their Utopia of absolute and exclusive supremacy. Because they control the whole specious spectrum, nothing will be done about this toxic tradition and we won't know what hit us.

The more I look at our current political systems the more backward they look. I'd guess another delusion the average citizen has is that our current political state is normal.

Check out this Slate article, "The World Is Not Falling Apart".
141209_Charts-Autocracy.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

The best recipe for optimism about current political systems is to grade on the curve.

For one thing, people leave it up to politicians to think of solutions to problems.

The Preppy Republic

Check out this Slate article, "The World Is Not Falling Apart".
141209_Charts-Autocracy.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

The best recipe for optimism about current political systems is to grade on the curve.
Empowering decadent anti-majority special interests is the antithesis of democracy. The fact that such tiny freak shows can change our laws and rules of behavior indicates that they must be sponsored by the 1% or they would be voted down.

Your question reminds me of an old Twilight Zone episode. Apparently Rod Serling considered something similar to your question several decades ago. The gist of the episode was that people would go crazy in a world where every wish was granted and there were no challenges to overcome or disappointments to spur us on. In this episode, that perfect world was in fact Hell.
 A Nice Place to Visit, "The Twilight Zone" A Nice Place to Visit (TV Episode 1960) - IMDb

From Wikipedia:
After a month, Rocky becomes thoroughly bored by always having his whims satisfied and predictably winning at anything he attempts. He calls up Pip and asks if he can put a challenge where he would actually get caught in a robbery. Pip is able to do that, but Rocky backs off claiming there would be no fun if he knew the outcome. He then tells Pip, "If I gotta stay here another day, I'm gonna go nuts! I don't belong in Heaven, see? I want to go to the other place." Pip retorts, "Heaven? Whatever gave you the idea that you were in heaven, Mr. Valentine? This is the other place!!" Shocked and horrified, Rocky unsuccessfully tries to open his apartment door in order to escape his endless "paradise," as Pip begins to laugh malevolently at Rocky's predicament.

Back
Top Bottom