• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Indy 500 for the ages

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I can say without hyperbole that that was the best Indy 500 ever.

Okay, that was with hyperbole. It was the best Indy 500 since 1982, though an argument can be made for this race. 1982 gave us the duel between Johncock and Mears both late and very late in the race where Mears makes an 11 second comeback in 6 or so laps.

Across the board, this year, we saw an Indy 500 that excelled all across the board. 30 cars finished, which blew away the record of 26. There were only two yellows, though one was extended due to a flurry of penalties and determining positions in one of the most bizarre yellows. As would happen to a few cars (spinning into Paganaud's pit), Wilson had no breaks entering pit lane, and he spun in the pits. This occurred during a set of green flagged pitstops. The less efficient cars had already stopped, but the fuel efficient ones hadn't, and came close or did run out of fuel. Scott Dixon, one of the ten or fifteen favorites for the race ran out of fuel, which is never good in a race car. He lost a lap, along with another favorite, Rossi. Herta, Daly, and Veekay were in charge early, but drifted away after a while without much notice, presumably losing handling with a warming track.

Always in the run was Helio Castroneves, a three time winner, and one of the guys that the entire crowd would be happy with winning. The race transitioned to question of fuel efficiency and who could finish with fewer stops. As usually happens, it didn't matter enough. A rear tire on Graham Rahal's car wouldn't be connected and would fall off and lead to a crash, which, for the most part provided most of the cars an even slate. Dixon, who managed to get back onto the lead lap would have enough fuel to make it, but he'd have to drive lean, while Palou, Castroneves, Paganaud who came from no where, O'Ward who was always near the front, and Carpenter could use all the engine they wanted.

The last 25 laps had Palou and Castroneves racing for the lead... presumptive lead. There were a lot of cars ahead of them, but needed a long yellow to make it to the checkered flag. Rosenquist would be the last one to hold out (or was it Sato), making countless passes, with the remainder close, but not close enough, behind. Palou seemed to have the better car, but Castroneves has a lot of experience. Additionally, the tires were wearing near the end. Castroneves makes a pass for the lead and they start running into traffic. Palou can't pass two cars at once, and that pretty much means Castroneves will win. Which he does, to the elation of 150,000 people in attendance, and people like me who got to see their first four-time winner (I was too young to appreciate when Mears accomplished it).

The cherry on top, and I was wondering about it, with only a pair of yellows, this was the fastest Indy 500 ever. An incredible race. O'Ward has finished 6th and 4th in his two starts. Veekay finished 8th which was pretty good. Ed Carpenter Racing finished 5th (Carpenter), 8th (Veekay), and 13th (local Daly), which was great. Penske, not so good, though Paganaud managed to finish in the top five. Sage Karam finished 7th after satrting 31st! And Montoya, who hasn't made much of a statement since returning to Indy, finished a respectable 9th. Fan favorite Kanaan finished 10th.

I can say without hyperbole that that was the best Indy 500 ever.

Okay, that was with hyperbole. It was the best Indy 500 since 1982, though an argument can be made for this race. 1982 gave us the duel between Johncock and Mears both late and very late in the race where Mears makes an 11 second comeback in 6 or so laps.

Across the board, this year, we saw an Indy 500 that excelled all across the board. 30 cars finished, which blew away the record of 26. There were only two yellows, though one was extended due to a flurry of penalties and determining positions in one of the most bizarre yellows. As would happen to a few cars (spinning into Paganaud's pit), Wilson had no breaks entering pit lane, and he spun in the pits. This occurred during a set of green flagged pitstops. The less efficient cars had already stopped, but the fuel efficient ones hadn't, and came close or did run out of fuel. Scott Dixon, one of the ten or fifteen favorites for the race ran out of fuel, which is never good in a race car. He lost a lap, along with another favorite, Rossi. Herta, Daly, and Veekay were in charge early, but drifted away after a while without much notice, presumably losing handling with a warming track.

Always in the run was Helio Castroneves, a three time winner, and one of the guys that the entire crowd would be happy with winning. The race transitioned to question of fuel efficiency and who could finish with fewer stops. As usually happens, it didn't matter enough. A rear tire on Graham Rahal's car wouldn't be connected and would fall off and lead to a crash, which, for the most part provided most of the cars an even slate. Dixon, who managed to get back onto the lead lap would have enough fuel to make it, but he'd have to drive lean, while Palou, Castroneves, Paganaud who came from no where, O'Ward who was always near the front, and Carpenter could use all the engine they wanted.

The last 25 laps had Palou and Castroneves racing for the lead... presumptive lead. There were a lot of cars ahead of them, but needed a long yellow to make it to the checkered flag. Rosenquist would be the last one to hold out (or was it Sato), making countless passes, with the remainder close, but not close enough, behind. Palou seemed to have the better car, but Castroneves has a lot of experience. Additionally, the tires were wearing near the end. Castroneves makes a pass for the lead and they start running into traffic. Palou can't pass two cars at once, and that pretty much means Castroneves will win. Which he does, to the elation of 150,000 people in attendance, and people like me who got to see their first four-time winner (I was too young to appreciate when Mears accomplished it).

The cherry on top, and I was wondering about it, with only a pair of yellows, this was the fastest Indy 500 ever. An incredible race. O'Ward has finished 6th and 4th in his two starts. Veekay finished 8th which was pretty good. Ed Carpenter Racing finished 5th (Carpenter), 8th (Veekay), and 13th (local Daly), which was great. Penske, not so good, though Paganaud managed to finish in the top five. Sage Karam finished 7th after satrting 31st! And Montoya, who hasn't made much of a statement since returning to Indy, finished a respectable 9th. Fan favorite Kanaan finished 10th.

Agreed. It was a great race, and history making in a couple ways. Shortest race in history, and Castroneves reaching the lofty heights of a fourth 500 win placing him along the greats of Mears, Foyt, and Unser Sr.

WTF, NBC Sports. You cut the first 3/4 of the Detroit Gran Prix for tennis? TENNIS???

WTF, NBC Sports. You cut the first 3/4 of the Detroit Gran Prix for tennis? TENNIS???
The first third for tennis. Then a bit more for the award presentation. I finally turned it off when they then went to commercials, because I gave up on them showing racing.

The first third for tennis. Then a bit more for the award presentation. I finally turned it off when they then went to commercials, because I gave up on them showing racing.

I'm hoping sometime this week they will replay the entire race and my YT Tv app will get it then.

The last few laps of the race was pretty damned exciting and excellent racing by the top 5 positions.

Back
Top Bottom