• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Indycar 2023

Day one, dry as a bone. Got real warm second half of day. Got Veekay's sig on a photo I took of his car in action last year. Daughter is having fun.

Onto the likely soggy weekend. Sat looks like in spots. Sunday could be a severe line.

20230630_150043.jpg

Day Two, Pagnaud nearly killed. We were elsewhere and didn't see it. Did see the mich less harmful 4 car pileup at Turn 2 though. Rain held out, mostly.

All three Rahal Lettermen cars made final 12, I think 2 made final six. Rahal almost got the pole.

Well, the Porsche Sprint Series was comical. It rained a great deal over night and still sprinkling a little on the way to the track at 6:45 AM. But it started to dry up. The trouble is the track was soggy, and the series contained a lot of n00bs not ready for it. They raced maybe 3 to 5 laps of a 30 minute race under green. It took 5 or 6 pace laps to get the initial green flag. By the time Indy was practicing, it was dry, no issues. By the time Indy was ready to race, the skies opened up and the temperature went up what felt like 20 degrees! Thankfully the sun went away for a bit, but came back out. The rain held off until an hour plus after the race completed. The race itself was fast. It went from lap 15 to lap 65 in what seemed to be a half hour. They just had the one yellow after Marcus Ericcson decided to drive like a blind man for a moment. Felix Rosenquist was likely confused as to what was happening as Ericson's car appeared to be trying to mount his.

It is hard to keep track of things at the race live, but from what I could tell, O'Ward did a Will Power, moving up a substantial number of places, 25th to 7th or something. Herta and Rahal were up front early, but then Palou Palou'd and he didn't look back., The interesting trivia on the front row is that Colton's Dad was team mates with Graham's Dad back in the day. It was odd to see Will Power get stuck behind traffic (he passed 1000 cars last year after a spin put him in the back). Ben Pederson and Ray Robb weren't giving up position in getting lapped. It was something to see how much space opened up between the slow traffic and the passers once they got by in just one lap. Rahal has a pit issue, but overall, I'd say RLL racing were happy with the results having two in the top ten! Veekay and Ferrucci struggled all day. Veekay had performed much better last year. Saw Veekay talking while in the Paddock post race and he seemed frustrated. I'm 2 for 3 seeing Ganassi at Mid-Ohio now.

We stood in line for 90 minutes in the Indycar driving signing thing. Didn't make it to the drivers (I was surprised, as while it was a long line, I didn't think it'd take that long to shift forward, probably not doing that again). I was looking at what some of the people had that they wanted signed, and it was a collection of things. I just had printed 8x10s of photos I had taken last year. Didn't get to the tent, but Veekay was near the front. He and Ferrucci came out towards the people (the other drivers left from the rear to escape) and were handing out placards they had signed. I was able to get Veekay to sign the shot I got of him last year, which barely made the wait worth it. But there were a few things left inside to take advantage of (Kirkwood, Rahal, I did see Rahal getting to his scooter, ready to leave, but I didn't press it). Then for whatever reason, the Ganassi team signing had a relatively short line the next day, we waited just 40 minutes overall, and my daughter got to tell Alex Palou she was his biggest fan, so she got a real kick out of that. I just had one driver with a pic to sign (Dixon), but she got all four signatures on the paltry race program that we received at the gate. Now it is less paltry (two Indy 500 winners, Alex freakin' Palou and a kid about half the age of Scott Dixon).

A few pics. The exit out of the Essess, entrance into the Essess, and the turn into Thunder Valley are all unobstructed (fence-wise) . You can get shots on the front stretch from the Paddock viewing areas, but there is the pit wall which visually distracts without a larger zoom, and it is tricky to time it with all of the other pit related obstructions. Obviously the better photos have the blurry background. Cars were checking up in a big way into Thunder Valley, which is why the tires have very little blur.

Conv_DSC02278.jpeg
Conor Daly driving Pagenaud's car (Sunday Morning Practice, entry into Essess)

Conv_DSC02234.jpeg

Felix Rosenquist (Sunday morning practice, entry into Essess)

Conv_DSC02136.jpeg

Colton Herta (Saturday Morning practice, just before turn down into Thunder Valley)

Conv_DSC02128.jpeg

Helio Castroneves (Saturday Morning practice, just before turn down into Thunder Valley)

And back to just talking Indycar, Palou is out to a 100+ point lead. Anything can happen, but as things stand Palou is in great shape. Dixon is in 2nd and his problem is, Palou would need to suffer car issues at this point (or lots of bad luck) and if Palou suffers car issues, it'd probably plague him too.

Saw on Peacock Will Power was surprised to find out he got 3rd. Standings wise, as bad as a season Rahal has had, he is 14th. Colton Herta, better season, but only 9th. Next race is in Toronto.

20230707_140658.jpg

Got my pics from last year that were signed by Dixon and Veekay this year framed and hung.

Grand Prix this weekend. We went to this rce several years ago - it was a lot of fun. There’s always a sense of carnival around the track. And my son (young at the time) even consented to wearing earplugs all day.

Season ends as it starts, yellow pallozza. Scott Dixon went off sequence and absorbed the benefits as the yellows started coming out. Palou finished 3rd and managed as he has most of the season. He wins his second title

I hope they move the alt start line next year. The drivers just couldn't squeeze down to 1 column in that turn.

Now I await the schedule, hoping they clear schedule for Le Mans, leading to Mid-Ohio skipping to the farside of July 4th and I can do Watkins before and Mid-Ohio with my daughter after.

Season ends as it starts, yellow pallozza. Scott Dixon went off sequence and absorbed the benefits as the yellows started coming out. Palou finished 3rd and managed as he has most of the season. He wins his second title

I hope they move the alt start line next year. The drivers just couldn't squeeze down to 1 column in that turn.
My DVR missed the end of the race because of all the delays. That was just nuts. Maybe being the last race of the season everyone was just going balls out.

It was that one turn on the restart, they'd all start racing at the green, but then all bunched up at that turn. Made NASCAR look like F1!

Not Indycar, but off to Indy this long weekend to see IMSA at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Hoping to take care of another thing while there as well. Weather is looking great, if not a tad chilly early going. It is General Admission, so need to be at the gate to have any shot in heck to get good seats near Turn One.

Not Indycar, but off to Indy this long weekend to see IMSA at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Hoping to take care of another thing while there as well. Weather is looking great, if not a tad chilly early going. It is General Admission, so need to be at the gate to have any shot in heck to get good seats near Turn One.
Cool. I like IMSA racing too.

20230916_182510.jpg

Back home again in Indiana. Well, back again at least. This General Admission thing rocks. Been all over the track.

Killing time waiting during a 1+ hrs break. The 4 hrs race was fun. Came down to the end very late both race classes. Some very aggressive driving as the lights came out.

Rain to the north and the south. Front is pushing through, but the moment, the sun finally back out. That sun is a big difference between 100 ISO and needing 400 or 800 ISO. Friday I was getting 1/2000 sec at 100 ISO. Saturday, lighting was give and take in morning. FYI, turn one area is prime early morning lighting area.

If they do general admission definitely recommend. Lots of places to camp out, a good deal of photos locations (Turns 1, 2, 10, 11, 13 and from the penthouses, a number of unobstructed views for 13/14. You can get a couple of those at 2 and 3, but need 400+ mm.)The mounds are great, but you only really see 1 to part of 4 unobstructed. The unsung location would be the backstretch at Turn 7. No unobstructed view when cars are practicing it is a spot for wide turns and spins. It is also a great place to pass. It is stand and watch.

Frontstretch is nice providing a great view of the pit area (from the west side, the east side the pit stuff obstructs all possible chances of a decent view. You need to sit up high just to see the track). But it feels isolated. But with General Admin, sit everywhere.

A few pics from the weekend. I was hoping the lighting would be good for turns 1 to 3 Saturday morning, and early on, they were.
image1_mod.jpg

image2_mod.jpg

These two are from Sunday, the exit of the final turn onto the front stretch.
image4_mod.jpg

image3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom