• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Insanely Stupid Youtube Video

Duke Leto

Deleted
Basic Beliefs
Consistently Annoyed
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCaZaSon9A[/YOUTUBE]

This thing somehow appeared on my list of things to watch on Youtube.

I admit, I haven't watched it all the way through, but randomly clicking on points in its hour long run suggests that the content is all as insane and misinformed as the first minute or so.

2.2 million views. That's got to be at least a couple thousand dollars in the bank. The misinformation is deliberate and profit-driven, no doubt.

You can be profit-driven and non-deliberate.

Strictly speaking, virtually all actions by most organisms are, for a given definition of "profit".

All you need is the ability to observe that something brings you success, whether you believe it or not. Stupidity is a comparative advantage in that case.

You can be profit-driven and non-deliberate.

Strictly speaking, virtually all actions by most organisms are, for a given definition of "profit".

All you need is the ability to observe that something brings you success, whether you believe it or not. Stupidity is a comparative advantage in that case.

Agreed. All I'm saying is that I doubt the creator actually believes the material in his/her own video, so in a way it's actually a very smart video, just misinformative.

I'm just not so sure about the creator's earnestness. If it's a cynical calculation, it's a masterful one.

The work ethic seems to be that he reads prodigiously in psuedoscience/psuedohistory and New Age Woo and throws every idea together without applying any critical test, not even logical consistency.

I'm just not so sure about the creator's earnestness. If it's a cynical calculation, it's a masterful one.

The work ethic seems to be that he reads prodigiously in psuedoscience/psuedohistory and New Age Woo and throws every idea together without applying any critical test, not even logical consistency.

Ignorant people love stupid conspiracies. I have a friend who's a fellow programmer, and an amazing one at that, but her insight on pretty much everything else is pretty much nil. I remember about a year ago her posting some link on facebook about some weird alien conspiracy, as if it was a real thing, and she was completely serious. It was followed by comments of all kinds of other ignorant people who really wanted to believe that it was true.

I didn't watch much of the video (probably a solid 20 seconds at most) but based on that small blip it seemed like it was appealing to people's paranoiac, need to believe the fantastical side. I think for most people there is a deep sub-conscious realization that life is meaningless and dull, so when anything fantastical like this comes along they believe it just so their lives become a bit more interesting. That's where I guess the video is coming from, if I had the will to watch any more of it I might know a little better.

Back
Top Bottom