• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Iran blinds man who carried out acid attack

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
In a literal application of the sharia law of an eye for an eye, an Iranian man convicted of blinding another man in an acid attack has himself been blinded in one eye, marking the first time Iran has carried out such retributive punishment.

The convicted acid attacker, who has not been identified, was rendered unconscious in Rajaishahr prison in the city of Karaj on Tuesday as medics gouged out his left eye, according to the state-owned Hamshahri newspaper.

Although the convict was sentenced to lose sight in both eyes on Tuesday, the victim – who, under Iranian law, has the final say in the punishment – decided at the last minute to postpone the blinding of his right eye for another six months.

During this period, the attacker will be able to plead with the plaintiff to spare him from being blinded fully.

Guardian

Oh yes, this country should totally have nuclear weapons.

I hate to see how this is relevant, seeing as the rule for countries that have nuclear weapons is 'mutually assured destruction." Which is a fancy name for 'eye for an eye.'

I don't approve of Iran, but I approve of sanctimonious hypocrisy even less.

Though the idea that the victim can reduce the sentence is an intriguing one.

In a literal application of the sharia law of an eye for an eye, an Iranian man convicted of blinding another man in an acid attack has himself been blinded in one eye, marking the first time Iran has carried out such retributive punishment.

The convicted acid attacker, who has not been identified, was rendered unconscious in Rajaishahr prison in the city of Karaj on Tuesday as medics gouged out his left eye, according to the state-owned Hamshahri newspaper.

Although the convict was sentenced to lose sight in both eyes on Tuesday, the victim – who, under Iranian law, has the final say in the punishment – decided at the last minute to postpone the blinding of his right eye for another six months.

During this period, the attacker will be able to plead with the plaintiff to spare him from being blinded fully.

Guardian

I'm not sure the United States has the moral highground here. And anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with an hypothetically nuclear armed Iran.

Oh its all part of the campaign to paint Iran as barbaric, as opposed to such nuclear armed luminaries like Pakistan, the Soviet Union and Red China.

I hate to see how this is relevant, seeing as the rule for countries that have nuclear weapons is 'mutually assured destruction." Which is a fancy name for 'eye for an eye.'

Yeah, I don't see that this is evidence against Iran.

It means the rich can generally buy their way out of punishment.

My instinctive sense of justice in this case would not be to hurt the guy in equal measure, but to make him pay reparations for the victim for the rest of her life. If he can't, then blind him. Have that hanging over his head.

Buuuuuuut intellectually I can see that it's probably barbaric either way and no justice system should be based on base instincts.

I was going to say this barbaric punishment was a bit progressive by their standards, until I realized that the penalty was for a man attacking another man, not a woman with acid. Had he attacked a woman with acid, she likely would have been found guilty of something and made more blind.

I was going to say this barbaric punishment was a bit progressive by their standards, until I realized that the penalty was for a man attacking another man, not a woman with acid. Had he attacked a woman with acid, she likely would have been found guilty of something and made more blind.
Great catch!

Can anybody argue that this Muslim ruled culture is anything but backward? In one location Muslims chop off heads. In another location they blind people. And we, in our modernistic hubris just blow the whole thing up. How are we anything but backward if we do not resort to the best diplomacy or which we are capable. I have friends that live in Iran. I rarely hear from them, but I do care what happens to them.

It is really up to the U.S. and other developed countries to set an example and to learn how to utilize diplomacy to lessen this backwardness, but we seem to be drifting backwards ourselves.

Can anybody argue that this Muslim ruled culture is anything but backward? In one location Muslims chop off heads. In another location they blind people. And we, in our modernistic hubris just...

...electrocute, shoot, or poison them? 90% of the rest of the countries regard us as barbarians, perhaps worse than the ISIS crowd because they know that we should and do know better.

Actually, I don't think that is how these things play out in Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameneh_Bahrami

Actually, I don't think that is how these things play out in Iran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameneh_Bahrami

Huh? The courts found him guilty, but twice the punishment wasn't carried out, and then the victim pardoned him.

That does not show at all that female victims of acid attacks are treated the same.

Guardian

Is it worse than the death penalty?

This whole acid attack thing seems to be becoming more common in the Middle East. I don't remember hearing about it 20 years ago, for instance.

It is, but unfortunately theres alot of dilemmas to take into account...

Back
Top Bottom