• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Jesus's divorce law anti-love?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic Christian & esoteric ecumenist
Is Jesus' divorce law anti-love?

Jesus agreed with the O.T God on divorce. Let no man break that union or let no man put asunder.

I see that as anti-love. If Jesus is wrong about such a fundamental issue, then what else was he wrong about?

If a Christian, even if you become convinced that Jesus was indeed wrong, it would not make any difference to you because you actually follow tradition, culture and your family’s inherited traditional God. Not really a God that you selected through trials of his moral character. Right? Shame on you for neglecting the most important decision of your life.

I think that the moral reason all divorce pleas should be granted is that no one, gay, straight and all conditions in between or over, should be denied the ability to seek a lifetime loving partner, wife or husband, for any reason. I see being able to seek a loving mate or partner as a fundamental human right.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

What's love got to do with it? If you give a guy a few goats so he'll take one of your daughters off your hands, you can just go and buy some new goats. There's no need to be so overly attached to goats. They are, after all, just goats.

Yeah, I agree. There is way too much negative stigma attached to divorce. People say 50% of marriages end in divorce as if that's somehow a sign that something is wrong. Why should lifetime monogamy be the default condition? Are people who stay in a marriage they aren't satisfied with, due to tradition or social pressure, more noble than people who move on? I don't think so, and I don't think marriage should automatically be equated with an 'eternal bond'. There are plenty of good reasons to get married, even if you're not completely sure that you'll still love your spouse in 40 years. And if you don't, I don't see any problem with acknowledging that fact, unfortunate as it may be (even though it's nobody's fault).

Yeah, I agree. There is way too much negative stigma attached to divorce. People say 50% of marriages end in divorce as if that's somehow a sign that something is wrong. Why should lifetime monogamy be the default condition? Are people who stay in a marriage they aren't satisfied with, due to tradition or social pressure, more noble than people who move on? I don't think so, and I don't think marriage should automatically be equated with an 'eternal bond'. There are plenty of good reasons to get married, even if you're not completely sure that you'll still love your spouse in 40 years. And if you don't, I don't see any problem with acknowledging that fact, unfortunate as it may be (even though it's nobody's fault).

"Are people who stay in a marriage they aren't satisfied with, due to tradition or social pressure, more noble than people who move on?"

I would say that they are much less noble as they have forgotten that man's greatest pleasure is love and to deny ourselves and an unhappy partner love is the opposite of noble and definitely not moral.

Regards
DL

What's love got to do with it? If you give a guy a few goats so he'll take one of your daughters off your hands, you can just go and buy some new goats. There's no need to be so overly attached to goats. They are, after all, just goats.

Regards
DL

The stigma is that it's wrong is because in the ceremony people swore to love one another til 'death do us part'.

And since 50% of them can't keep that promise, it's viewed as negative.

Would you look positively at a person if there was a 50% chance they would break a very important promise to you or would you think that was not a good thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Is Jesus' divorce law anti-love?

Jesus agreed with the O.T God on divorce. Let no man break that union or let no man put asunder.

I see that as anti-love. If Jesus is wrong about such a fundamental issue, then what else was he wrong about?

If a Christian, even if you become convinced that Jesus was indeed wrong, it would not make any difference to you because you actually follow tradition, culture and your family’s inherited traditional God. Not really a God that you selected through trials of his moral character. Right? Shame on you for neglecting the most important decision of your life.

I think that the moral reason all divorce pleas should be granted is that no one, gay, straight and all conditions in between or over, should be denied the ability to seek a lifetime loving partner, wife or husband, for any reason. I see being able to seek a loving mate or partner as a fundamental human right.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

To the OP. That just proved Jesus was a Jew and not interested in starting a new religion as he was interested in reforming the old one and like a man of his time, totally accepting of the status quo of women and in another example, slaves.

No argument. And true, his example was of a man and not the best of men either. If not for Constantine, none would likely find Jesus compelling as a prophet. He just repeated what had been said before except for that stupidity of not fighting evil and turning the other cheek to it.

Regards
DL

Would you look positively at a person if there was a 50% chance they would break a very important promise to you or would you think that was not a good thing?

How can a promise be SO important, and yet be so unrealistic?

Promise to love someone for the rest of your life? Who can make such a promise with a straight face?

Yes, we all have examples of folks that are just as in love as they were when they were married, but they stand out because they are the exceptions.

How can a promise be SO important, and yet be so unrealistic?

Promise to love someone for the rest of your life? Who can make such a promise with a straight face?

Yes, we all have examples of folks that are just as in love as they were when they were married, but they stand out because they are the exceptions.

So then, it's not unrealistic, is it? People want to be the exception and there is a 50% chance that they can be.

Or societal and economic forces keep many together who do not actually love one another. Love by the way is in most vows, not "Not divorce"

Or societal and economic forces keep many together who do not actually love one another. Love by the way is in most vows, not "Not divorce"

True. We don't know that those staying together actually love one another...just like we don't know that those getting divorced don't still love one another.

True. We don't know that those staying together actually love one another...just like we don't know that those getting divorced don't still love one another.
Yeah... there is that whole love passage in the bible which sort of addresses life without love:

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2 And if I have prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 And if I shall dole out all my goods in food, and if I deliver up my body that I may be burned, but have not love, I profit nothing.
4 Love has long patience, is kind; love is not emulous [of others]; love is not insolent and rash, is not puffed up,
5 does not behave in an unseemly manner, does not seek what is its own, is not quickly provoked, does not impute evil,
6 does not rejoice at iniquity but rejoices with the truth,
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails; but whether prophecies, they shall be done away; or tongues, they shall cease; or knowledge, it shall be done away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part:
10 but when that which is perfect has come, that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I reasoned as a child; when I became a man, I had done with what belonged to the child.
12 For we see now through a dim window obscurely, but then face to face; now I know partially, but then I shall know according as I also have been known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love; these three things; and the greater of these [is] love.

But that was part of the promise I made 22+ years ago. The whole "love, honor and cherish" thing. It appears to me to be more than likely that such a promise should not be something we feel comfortable judging another person by, because it is essentially a promise made with far from sufficient facts.

But that was part of the promise I made 22+ years ago. The whole "love, honor and cherish" thing. It appears to me to be more than likely that such a promise should not be something we feel comfortable judging another person by, because it is essentially a promise made with far from sufficient facts.

Or far from sufficient maturity.

I am guilty as charged.

6.3 minutes on. I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPMMitJDYg

This for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS7X3Xolq-I

Regards
DL

Back
Top Bottom