• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the God theory and conspiration theory

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I was wondering wheather the recent rise of conspiration theories is just the same old narcisstic urge to be more important than you really are (you're not, and nobody cares). So the rise of conspiracy theories isn't anything new. It's just the result of the death of God. Pronoia replaced with paranoia.

What do you think about that theory?

Conspiracy theories used to make a little sense...Example: the power company is behind the sales of Christmas lights..etc. One can see some sensible connection. But lately, the shit be thrown by the monkeys is not even a little bit believable. So it could be just an extension of religious thinking...without the comfort factor.

Conspiracy theories used to make a little sense...Example: the power company is behind the sales of Christmas lights..etc. One can see some sensible connection. But lately, the shit be thrown by the monkeys is not even a little bit believable. So it could be just an extension of religious thinking...without the comfort factor.

I think it is a comfort factor in conspiracies. It means somebody is in control. The reality is of course that nobody is in control and our leaders are just muddling along

I was wondering wheather the recent rise of conspiration theories is just the same old narcisstic urge to be more important than you really are (you're not, and nobody cares). So the rise of conspiracy theories isn't anything new. It's just the result of the death of God. Pronoia replaced with paranoia.

If that were true, the conspiracy theories would be more prevalent in places with less religion.

If that were true, the conspiracy theories would be more prevalent in places with less religion.

Hmm.. don't agree. Both religiosity and conspiracy theories could be expressions of the same thing, lack of power.

Wherever people feel they are stuck in life and lack ways to improve themselves or their situation, they will more likely turn to religion (or as I suggest also conspiracy theories).

That's much harder to calculate

Well, aside from the fact that conspiracies are replete and literally all around you (the word simply means two or more people coordinating/implementing a particular agenda, typically, but not always in secret, after all), the reason you’re seeing more of late is itself part of an on-going conspiracy to ironically cover-up another conspiracy; the usurpation of the Oval Office. So triple trouble.

Trump’s team—whoever they are and what ties that bind them—flooded the internet with flames of a “deep state” shadow government out to destroy Trump because....because....well, he’s just so powerful and scary and bigly that only the deepest darkest shadowy men of power truly fear his hugeness...etc.

And as stupid as that conspiracy sounds, millions of morons bought it and still think it’s real and that it’s desperate to get rid of the maverick brilliance of the uber billionnaire. It’s a comic book, but its purpose is very very real and further evidence that there is an actual conspiracy going on, the one this bullshit is meant as a cover story.

It’s ironically creating an actual “deep state”—only they’re really out in the open, not so deep and their “state” is simply being faithful servants and patriots that are making public their now unifying agenda—to actually fulfill the fever dreams of the fake conspiracy.

In short, by creating a fake “deep state” to cover up their own crimes an actual deep state is emerging.

Which means the bluff was called and now the idiot pleebs can all say, “SEE! It was TRUE!” as they watch impotently as those actual powers eviscerate their fake Hitler. Fun!

Hmm.. don't agree. Both religiosity and conspiracy theories could be expressions of the same thing, lack of power.

Wherever people feel they are stuck in life and lack ways to improve themselves or their situation, they will more likely turn to religion (or as I suggest also conspiracy theories).

But the thing is, I don't think the correlation exists, so your claim can't be right.

Conspiracy theories seem most prevalent in America, which has a much higher religiosity than other Western nations.

I think conspiracy theories are fueled by feelings of powerlessness, not religion.

Conspiracy theories are thrown out there to relieve pressures of not knowing by the uninformed. Sure there's an economic component to that group. That being the case should decrease the number of fearful about the unknown since need doesn't increase awareness of the world rather it narrows it to more immediate circumstances.

But the thing is, I don't think the correlation exists, so your claim can't be right.

Conspiracy theories seem most prevalent in America, which has a much higher religiosity than other Western nations.

I think conspiracy theories are fueled by feelings of powerlessness, not religion.

Yes, I would agree about powerlessness being essential. I think there's something more, though, which is that you need to feel resentful of your powerlessness, which arguably maybe the default position anyway. Conspiracy theories is a way for people to rationalise their state of powerlessness as not being their fault. Somebody else did it, and a conspiracy is the ideal culprit since it's shadowy and devious. Unfair. You couldn't possibly do anything about it. It's a way of exculpating yourself of any responsibility in your own powerlessness.

That being said, there may be a connection with the idea of an all powerful God since it explains why we would be all powerless if there was a God but also morally irresponsible. So, the idea of God also exculpate us in broadly the same way.

So, I would expect many religious people and conspiracy-theory people to have the same psychological profile. Not all of them, though, so checking this might be real impossible. There's a correlation, but it's not the same thing.
EB

Back
Top Bottom