• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is the Sahara the Garden of Eden?

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
The Sahara has grown considerably over the last 6,000 years. We know that around 4,000 years ago, the Sahara was a lot wetter. Could it have been a veritable garden of Eden? Man was kicked out of it because it turned into a desert! That’s the real flaming sword that prevents return.

I don’t know if any serious scholars have argued that, but I did read about it in an article on global warming.

In Roman times, North Frica was good agricultural land. Roman buildings from that era are now found in desert land, abandoned and surrounded by desert. Genesis seems to indicate a more Eastern area, though the general geography of Genesis is screwy. The writer of Genesis knew little about that.

There is a thread somewhere on religion on a documentary on the Garden Of Eden. To mak a long story short it looks lie it may have been a green area on the Arabian peninsula.

I don't remember all the details. There are cultural references in other cultures, Jews probably borrowed it.

An archeologist found dried up river beds that match historical refences.

There is a thread somewhere on religion on a documentary on the Garden Of Eden. To mak a long story short it looks lie it may have been a green area on the Arabian peninsula.

I don't remember all the details. There are cultural references in other cultures, Jews probably borrowed it.

An archeologist found dried up river beds that match historical refences.

Isn’t the Arabian desert an extension of the Sahara? Maybe that’s really it though. That makes more sense than the Sahara. Still, it’s the same climactic event.

The Garden of Eden is a made up place, that was eventually drowned in the made up Flood. Poor fake Cherubs.

It is as real as Narnia or Newark, NJ.

Mormons on their march west fought locals over what they thought was the Garden Of Eden in Missouri.

Adam-ondi-Ahman (/ædəm ɑːndaɪ ɑːmən/, sometimes clipped to Diahman) is a historic site in Daviess County, Missouri, about five miles south of Jameson. It is located along the east bluffs above the Grand River. According to the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it is the site where Adam and Eve lived after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. It teaches that the place will be a gathering spot for a meeting of the priesthood leadership, including prophets of all ages and other righteous people, prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

The Latter Day Saints once proposed building a Temple on the site. Such efforts were halted in the 19th century as a result of the 1838 Mormon War to evict the Latter Day Saints from Missouri. Their having declared Adam-ondi-Ahman as a sacred site for a Temple was a flash point in that confrontation.[citation needed]

After the Latter Day Saints were evicted, residents renamed the site Cravensville. It was the site of a skirmish during the American Civil War on August 4, 1862, when Union troops attempted to stop Confederate reinforcements in the First Battle of Independence. Six Confederates were killed and 10 wounded. The Union forces had five wounded.[1]

Today, most of the site is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is used predominantly as farmland.

Adam-ondi-Ahman is easily the most boring Mormon site I've visited. A lot of hot, dry grassland with hills. There are a couple of big rocks that Joseph Smith claimed were the remnants of altars built by Adam -- one of them was a sacrificing altar. Nobody was around when I visited, not even a proselytizer.
Joseph was a natural bullshitter. He could look at anything and make up a lie about it. Just like -- no, let's move on. I love how the BoM has chapters about pre-Columbian, pre-A.D. Christian churches in Central America -- in other words, anticipatory Christian churches where Jesus was pre-worshipped, by name. By Jewish Native Americans. Those tomahawk circumcisions musta been a bitch.

And we wonder how and why religion persists....

Reactions: SLD
Mormons on their march west fought locals over what they thought was the Garden Of Eden in Missouri.

Adam-ondi-Ahman (/ædəm ɑːndaɪ ɑːmən/, sometimes clipped to Diahman) is a historic site in Daviess County, Missouri, about five miles south of Jameson. It is located along the east bluffs above the Grand River. According to the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it is the site where Adam and Eve lived after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. It teaches that the place will be a gathering spot for a meeting of the priesthood leadership, including prophets of all ages and other righteous people, prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

The Latter Day Saints once proposed building a Temple on the site. Such efforts were halted in the 19th century as a result of the 1838 Mormon War to evict the Latter Day Saints from Missouri. Their having declared Adam-ondi-Ahman as a sacred site for a Temple was a flash point in that confrontation.[citation needed]
How fortuitous that I read this right before seeing Book of Mormon. It is more of an aside, but still, I got the reference.

Adam-ondi-Ahman is easily the most boring Mormon site I've visited. A lot of hot, dry grassland with hills. There are a couple of big rocks that Joseph Smith claimed were the remnants of altars built by Adam -- one of them was a sacrificing altar. Nobody was around when I visited, not even a proselytizer.
Joseph was a natural bullshitter. He could look at anything and make up a lie about it. Just like -- no, let's move on. I love how the BoM has chapters about pre-Columbian, pre-A.D. Christian churches in Central America -- in other words, anticipatory Christian churches where Jesus was pre-worshipped, by name. By Jewish Native Americans. Those tomahawk circumcisions musta been a bitch.
I was raised Church of Christ. If anyone has the patience and the ability to maintain their sanity while reading the Book of Mormon and knows anything about Church of Christ doctrines you will find a lot of it in the Book of Mormon. Sidney Rigdon, Joseph's number two man for many years was a Church of Christ preacher and during the early days of Mormonism a lot of non Mormon clergy thought Rigdon actually wrote most of the Book of Mormon and put a lot of teachings of his old denomination in it. There may be something to this. There are many books in the Book of Mormon and they have stylistic differences that seem to point to more than one person writing it.

For example:

Church of Christ doctrine:

-only one church--the Church of Christ, all others false.
-baptism must be by immersion for forgiveness of sin
-church must be called Church of Christ per Romans 16:16---there are other "scriptural" names for the church but false churches use them so church of Christ cant to avoid confusion
-church must have elders and deacons
-infant baptism damnable
-doctrinal error damns

Mormon doctrine in Book of Mormon:

-only one church--the Church of Christ, all others false.
-baptism must be by immersion for forgiveness of sin
-church must be called Church of Christ in Book of Mormon but church leader has ability to receive revelation. It was revealed Latter Day Saints can be added to avoid confusion with other Church of Christ groups. There are small Mormon not Latter Day Saints splinter groups that call
themselves "Church of Christ". This led to confusion between Mormon Church of Christ and the Campbellite Church of Christ in several states
-church must have elders and deacons
-infant baptism damnable
-doctrinal error damns

https://www.popsci.com/sahara-desert-drought-humans/

VQOY763BLAPB5QPEW5OUMPNIKY.jpeg

Today the Sahara is the largest hot desert in the world. Ten thousand years ago, it looked more like the African savanna, seen here. Chris Cooper

Back
Top Bottom