• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is there any evidence Hillary Clinton is a good leader?

Will Wiley

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
naturalist
President of the USA is a position that requires a good leader. What evidence is there that Hillary is a good leader?

President of the USA is a position that requires a good leader. What evidence is there that Hillary is a good leader?

She has survived politically an entire career, and made it to the top. If that isn't evidence, I don't know what is.

Also... define good leader? Is it somebody who is charismatic and a good figurehead, or is it somebody who is good at getting things done? Clinton clearly belongs to the second category.

I don't know how good she would be as President. I was a Naval officer and a Boy Scout Leader and finally a corporate executive. I always was taught this,

Leadership is a matter of intelligence, trustworthiness, humaneness, courage, and discipline . . . Reliance on intelligence alone results in rebelliousness. Exercise of humaneness alone results in weakness. Fixation on trust results in folly. Dependence on the strength of courage results in violence. Excessive discipline and sternness in command result in cruelty. When one has all five virtues together, each appropriate to its function, then one can be a leader.
— Sun Tzu​

See I think she does have those qualities. However, perception is part of the problem - you can have the qualities but if no one actually BELIEVES that you do, how effective can you be at leading? The "trustworthiness" is one she is going to have to overcome.
I don't know how good she would be as President. I was a Naval officer and a Boy Scout Leader and finally a corporate executive. I always was taught this,

Leadership is a matter of intelligence, trustworthiness, humaneness, courage, and discipline . . . Reliance on intelligence alone results in rebelliousness. Exercise of humaneness alone results in weakness. Fixation on trust results in folly. Dependence on the strength of courage results in violence. Excessive discipline and sternness in command result in cruelty. When one has all five virtues together, each appropriate to its function, then one can be a leader.
— Sun Tzu​

When one has all five virtues together, each appropriate to its function, then one can be a leader.
— Sun Tzu​
That's not what they taught us in Leadership Management Effectiveness Training.

The more of those virtues you posses (or demonstrate), the better you are as a leader, but you can still be a leader with fewer of them. Just not as good of one.

See I think she does have those qualities. However, perception is part of the problem - you can have the qualities but if no one actually BELIEVES that you do, how effective can you be at leading? The "trustworthiness" is one she is going to have to overcome.

Agreed. She will have to earn the nation's trust in spite of the barrage of accusations that will be thrown at her as they were thrown at Obama. As they have been doing for twenty years against her. Her opponents are misogynistic and aren't restrained by any social mores because of it.

But Sun Tzu is saying is that she will have trust in her people, the government and the nation that she will be leading. Trust is a two way street. She can't be obsessed with the attacks against herself. This is the hard thing to do. Most people want to trust their leaders, this trust is there to lose. The hard part is the other way. This is where Trump has repeatedly shown a leadership failure. He is obsessed with what people think of him.

Is there any evidenc you are a good poster?

Hahahaha! Sorry, the setup was just too good to pass up! :hug:

- - - Updated - - -

She did pretty well as a Senator.

Ummm, :unsure:

She killed Vince Foster and orchestrated Benghazi and sold secret emails to the Russians and never was brought up on any charges and avoided all investigations.

Or

I would suggest reading about her career from non-right-wing sources.

On the subject of leadership, there are leaders for different times and the definition of leadership is nebulous. Peron was a good leader, so was Castro, Churchill, Mao, Thatcher, and Napoleon. The questions comes down to when and where they are leading and at what point in their careers we consider.

That's not what they taught us in Leadership Management Effectiveness Training.

The more of those virtues you posses (or demonstrate), the better you are as a leader, but you can still be a leader with fewer of them. Just not as good of one.

Yes, no one excels in all of them. I think that the key is to be aware of all of them and to try to improve in the areas that you fall short.

I feel like a two bit motivational speaker scattering platitudes in a hotel ballroom. This isn't me.

I understand from people who have heard her speak to businessmen that she is a very effective speaker. I don't see a lot of this in her canned stump speech. Perhaps I will watch her acceptance speech. I am hard of hearing and a speed reader so usually prefer to read speeches and presentations. But I watched Trump's speech so I suppose I will watch Clinton's.

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5yuwMW6AM&list=PLCF06763486DB5136[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RchVnIn_-Y[/YOUTUBE]

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want more?

She has survived politically an entire career, and made it to the top. If that isn't evidence, I don't know what is.

Also... define good leader? Is it somebody who is charismatic and a good figurehead, or is it somebody who is good at getting things done? Clinton clearly belongs to the second category.

Her political career is entirely based on having things handed to her based on her last name.

For president staffing is probably the most key element in leadership. This was best illustrated by the contrast between the staffing of the Clinton administration and the Bush administration.

The Bush administration also highlighted a common failing in leadership. He avoided any dissension by glad-handing potential dissenters. He did it to Powell when he was uneasy about going into Iraq. This was also illustrated in one of Woodward's books on the Bush administration. Shortly after being replaced by Paul Bremer as occupation governor in Iraq, General Jay Garner went to the White House intent on informing President Bush that Bremer's plans for the Iraqi occupation were going to fail miserably. Bush was briefed by Rumsfeld of Garner's intentions and when Garner showed up at his office Bush jumped up and said something like "there's that hero I've been hearing so much about!" And before Garner could say anything Bush began praising his service and telling him about all the good things he had been hearing, and asked Garner about all the great deeds that he had heard about him. Garner never did get his criticism out and confessed to Woodward in an interview for the book that his inability to do so has haunted him ever since.

Her political career is entirely based on having things handed to her based on her last name.

Even before she was married to Bill?

as much as you like to beat that dead straw horse, it completely ignores the far more important question of "what did she do with those things once she had them" which is vastly more important.
most of your gloried right wing heroes also had everything they ever got their grubby paws on handed to them based on their name, and you're still like a pig in shit when it comes to mindlessly supporting ring wing politicians.

clinton's career shows that she is a right-leaning corporate democrat, a bit of a war mongering chickenhawk, weakly supportive of most major liberal social issues, and can basically be described as "john kerry with a vagina"

also due to the nature of US politics the question of whether clinton is a good leader is irrelevant, the question is only whether she's a less god awful leader than trump.
there is nothing but an endless rolling sea of evidence that she is, in fact, a far better leader than trump.

Funny, you don't ask that of any other POTUS candidate.

Back
Top Bottom